Job Losses

sage

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost my business-critical role at JLR in June, as i was a contractor! Struggled to get responses to easily 130 applications since. Had a teams interview in August for a firm in Lichfield that was trying to invent a role that doesn’t exist anywhere else, but seemingly cannot find anyone with the exact experience (in a newly invented role!!!). So that was deflating to not get that role, for that reason! 

Went away in September on holiday, came back, got recruited for a logistics role up at East Midlands gateway, was offered the job during the interview! Seemed a bit too simple to get the job. Started the following Monday. 

They didn’t have a computer for me to do my computer based role, did nothing for 7 days before being sent home cos there was no work. Laid off! 

Then had a positive interview in Warwick, working on bespoke Aston Martins. Was waiting for the job offer, then Lockdown II kicked in!! No offer coming this year, I was told. 

Last week, received a spec for an ideal role from a recruiter. I applied, was interviewed twice, took about 3 or 4 ability tests, and was offered the job. 

I start, a permanent position, on Monday. Its been a tough 5 months. But the role is a genuinely brilliant fit!

Although..... it’s in Nottingham!!

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

luckily, I can't wear shorts to work, and I'm not planning on transitioning any time soon, so my calf (the limb, not the animal!) will remain covered.

Which area of Nottingham will you be working in?

It's pretty grim at the moment I left my job in July lucky enough to be offered 2 roles within a month, both jobs at least 2 levels down from my recent management level which I found very quickly was very common after talking to some of the new starters alongside me who were running factories and now working supervising agency staff. 

Oh yes and the recruitment process for this supervisory role was phone interview first, assesment centre including competency based interview, manual dexterity test and 2 hours of verbal and numerical reasoning second and thirdly another interview and a role play. 

It's very tough. I started the year self-employed but it all dried up quite quickly. Was able to negotiate a deal to get a proper job (publishing) but now I wonder if they regret taking me on as the climate's been very difficult since starting. Feel I'm hanging on by my fingertips. Really feel for all those people who've lost their roles. I don't see how there can be another lockdown. It's not a case of weighing lives against the economy. It's lives versus lives.

Counting my chickens,works radically been effected since the first lockdown but managed to find work for the most part. Probably lucky during first lockdown due to the good weather allowing to work outside (painting company) this lockdown has hit us harder with more people competing for internal work.

Never laid anyone off during the 2008 recession to my personal cost, and hopefully will manage through until spring. I can obviously furlough staff if need be, which helps relieve some pressures but doesn't assist in supplementing my own salary. Not complaining though ,very uncertain times for a lot of people especially those in Paye. At least being self employed i have some control over  the direction of my business.

Good luck to anyone with job uncertainties,remember this is unprecedented times. You are not alone. Stay positive believe in yourself and never give up.

My wife works in travel, business travel as well, the worst type at the minute. I can’t imagine a business that’s dried up worse. She been furloughed for the whole time. And eventually made redundant when the furlough ended. Only be informed that furlough will now be extended for another 3 months, the week after her redundancy was finalised!!!

but, it’s okay. During that furlough time, the 20% she lost out on was saved in the petrol shed normally by for the commute to Stafford. And we were able to get rid of her car and save about £200 a month on the cost of that plus insurance. So financially we were alright. 

and she got a new job. Not as well paid as her previous, but the hours are perfect to fit around the kids school, she’s working for ups at the airport in the evenings.

she literally didn’t have a day of being unemployed, she officially finished one job in the friday, and started with ups on the Monday.

it’s a shock to the system, having not worked for the best part of a year (she was off sick before furlough), and the change in hours, and it’s all very physical rather than desk bound, but it’s a job. 

I’m in IT training. Face to face, class room based, self employed. That dried up instantly. I should’ve been able to transition to online training quite easily, but the people I normally train are absolute beginners (patience is my biggest asset). The SEISS grant was pretty worthless to me. So how I made ends meet at first was through the payment breaks on finance. 

ive got loads of stuff on finance, the car, the house, the kitchen, the conservatory, about 5 credit cards. I could put payment breaks on all of them and it saved me about £1,500 a month for 6 months. So basically my job was not paying debt.

however, it’s really paid off in this situation having a few strings to my bow.

I’m in the army Reseves and was able to pick up some extra work through them, including driving a bus for a day and loading mobile testing units for 2 weeks. In fact I’d be in Liverpool driving a bus now for a month if my wife hadn’t just started her new job. 

but the main skill I was able to fall back on was phlebotomy. Randomly, before I was an it trainer, I was a phlebotomy trainer. 

I was able to do some work fir the company I used to work for a couple of years ago, as they had phlebotomists self isolating. So I was doing a lot travelling today Bristol to collect stem cells from babies when they’re born (babies don’t know it’s lock down, they still get born). But there was a very good reason I quit that job the first time round, so that was defined not to last too long. 

but a friend in the army steered me towards a job with the Office of National Statistics, and now I’m going around Derbyshire collecting blood and swab samples from people on the national Covid infection survey. That’s a really cushdy, I can pick and choose the days I work, and I can normally get round all my people in about 4 hours but always get paid for the full day. You just manage your own time (I made a spreadsheet that works out my most efficient route, obvs).

Meanwhile, people are starting to embrace the idea of online training a bit more, so there are some green shoots there.

so the last 2.5 days in a row I’ve been plugged into a computer teaching excel, from Sunday I’ll be doing 6 days straight of collecting blood. Mixed in with a bit of army stuff. It’s hard to remember what hat I’m wearing from one day to the next. 

I always joked on my phlebotomy courses that I spent 3 years getting a degree in publishing, but the most useful / profitable skill I ever learned (and this was before Corona) was phlebotomy, learnt on a two day course. 

8 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Counting my chickens,works radically been effected since the first lockdown but managed to find work for the most part. Probably lucky during first lockdown due to the good weather allowing to work outside (painting company) this lockdown has hit us harder with more people competing for internal work.

Never laid anyone off during the 2008 recession to my personal cost, and hopefully will manage through until spring. I can obviously furlough staff if need be, which helps relieve some pressures but doesn't assist in supplementing my own salary. Not complaining though ,very uncertain times for a lot of people especially those in Paye. At least being self employed i have some control over  the direction of my business.

Good luck to anyone with job uncertainties,remember this is unprecedented times. You are not alone. Stay positive believe in yourself and never give up.

I imagine having to decide between laying people off and keeping your own business on track must be the worst decision to have to make. Good luck.

58 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

My wife works in travel, business travel as well, the worst type at the minute. I can’t imagine a business that’s dried up worse. She been furloughed for the whole time. And eventually made redundant when the furlough ended. Only be informed that furlough will now be extended for another 3 months, the week after her redundancy was finalised!!!

but, it’s okay. During that furlough time, the 20% she lost out on was saved in the petrol shed normally by for the commute to Stafford. And we were able to get rid of her car and save about £200 a month on the cost of that plus insurance. So financially we were alright. 

and she got a new job. Not as well paid as her previous, but the hours are perfect to fit around the kids school, she’s working for ups at the airport in the evenings.

she literally didn’t have a day of being unemployed, she officially finished one job in the friday, and started with ups on the Monday.

it’s a shock to the system, having not worked for the best part of a year (she was off sick before furlough), and the change in hours, and it’s all very physical rather than desk bound, but it’s a job. 

I’m in IT training. Face to face, class room based, self employed. That dried up instantly. I should’ve been able to transition to online training quite easily, but the people I normally train are absolute beginners (patience is my biggest asset). The SEISS grant was pretty worthless to me. So how I made ends meet at first was through the payment breaks on finance. 

ive got loads of stuff on finance, the car, the house, the kitchen, the conservatory, about 5 credit cards. I could put payment breaks on all of them and it saved me about £1,500 a month for 6 months. So basically my job was not paying debt.

however, it’s really paid off in this situation having a few strings to my bow.

I’m in the army Reseves and was able to pick up some extra work through them, including driving a bus for a day and loading mobile testing units for 2 weeks. In fact I’d be in Liverpool driving a bus now for a month if my wife hadn’t just started her new job. 

but the main skill I was able to fall back on was phlebotomy. Randomly, before I was an it trainer, I was a phlebotomy trainer. 

I was able to do some work fir the company I used to work for a couple of years ago, as they had phlebotomists self isolating. So I was doing a lot travelling today Bristol to collect stem cells from babies when they’re born (babies don’t know it’s lock down, they still get born). But there was a very good reason I quit that job the first time round, so that was defined not to last too long. 

but a friend in the army steered me towards a job with the Office of National Statistics, and now I’m going around Derbyshire collecting blood and swab samples from people on the national Covid infection survey. That’s a really cushdy, I can pick and choose the days I work, and I can normally get round all my people in about 4 hours but always get paid for the full day. You just manage your own time (I made a spreadsheet that works out my most efficient route, obvs).

Meanwhile, people are starting to embrace the idea of online training a bit more, so there are some green shoots there.

so the last 2.5 days in a row I’ve been plugged into a computer teaching excel, from Sunday I’ll be doing 6 days straight of collecting blood. Mixed in with a bit of army stuff. It’s hard to remember what hat I’m wearing from one day to the next. 

I always joked on my phlebotomy courses that I spent 3 years getting a degree in publishing, but the most useful / profitable skill I ever learned (and this was before Corona) was phlebotomy, learnt on a two day course. 

Great post. Must have been tough times, glad things are looking up. 

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I imagine having to decide between laying people off and keeping your own business on track must be the worst decision to have to make. Good luck.

Took nearly 5 years to 're establish my own finances after 2008 due to keeping my work team employed. Hardest thing was having to part with my pride and joy at the time a porsche cayenne which I let go £7000 cheaper than the dealer sold it for. Still miss that car?. But I know that I have a knack of always being able to turn the corner,unlike my staff who without my employment  perhaps would not have the aptitude/ personality to adapt. Its  difficult knowing the people I employ are dependant on myself for work and steady income ,especially when they have families ,rent or mortgage. May be am to soft ,not hard headed enough in business but can take pride in always trying to do the right thing even when it back fires.My business is only as good as the people I employ and ultimately they significantly contribute to my income. Sometimes you have too give it back and be thankful for what you have not what you would like.

What ever your goals,ambitions and dreams. It's the journey that takes you their that is as important than the end result.

12 hours ago, ram1964 said:

8 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Took nearly 5 years to 're establish my own finances after 2008 due to keeping my work team employed. Hardest thing was having to part with my pride and joy at the time a porsche cayenne which I let go £7000 cheaper than the dealer sold it for. Still miss that car?. But I know that I have a knack of always being able to turn the corner,unlike my staff who without my employment  perhaps would not have the aptitude/ personality to adapt. Its  difficult knowing the people I employ are dependant on myself for work and steady income ,especially when they have families ,rent or mortgage. May be am to soft ,not hard headed enough in business but can take pride in always trying to do the right thing even when it back fires.My business is only as good as the people I employ and ultimately they significantly contribute to my income. Sometimes you have too give it back and be thankful for what you have not what you would like.

What ever your goals,ambitions and dreams. It's the journey that takes you their that is as important than the end result.

Fair play mate. A common theme I notice when reading/listening to entrepreneurial stuff is that the pressure you feel in making sure your staff can support themselves and their families is far greater than the pressure you feel about sustaining yourself.

Out of interest, what kind of business do you run?

37 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Fair play mate. A common theme I notice when reading/listening to entrepreneurial stuff is that the pressure you feel in making sure your staff can support themselves and their families is far greater than the pressure you feel about sustaining yourself.

Out of interest, what kind of business do you run?

Small decorating company ,mainly domestic work.Once told look after your clients and the money looks after itself. Try and apply that philosophy to employees and too a degree it works but won't make me wealthy?

Archived