Derby County Managers

neil62uk

Phil Brown and Nigel Pearson were both dealt worse hands than Phil Cocu, as was Craig Burley.

Pearson was bought in to bring steel and backbone to the team, but was stabbed in the back by the likes of Keogh running to Mel, and never allowed to do his job before being sacked. Brown was given only one cash signing (Darren Moore). Burley never paid a penny for a player.

Worst manager for me is Paul Jewell, he tried his hardest with a scattergun approach to 23 mainly useless signiings in 12 months, and no discernable plan to get them to play together properly!

Cox > Smith > McClaren > Davies > Burley > Lampard > Rowett > Nigel Clough > McFarland > Todd>  Pearson > Brown > Cocu > Gregory > Jewell 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

How are we measuring crapness? Like their respective Win % would be the most solid metric or are we including intangibles like playing style or aesthetics or personality even?

On your own opinions  as it's your own opinions that matter 

My best & first one I remember was Jim Smith. Built a side to be proud of.

Also i think Burley gets overlooked for what he did. Got to a playoff semi final under very difficult circumstances. He played good football as well. Wonder what could have been if burley was at a different time with a different ownership 

For worst has to be Brown then Jewell. Both destroyed the culture of the club. Starting kevin Poole in goal is unforgivable. 

Whilst im sick of cocu's football & the way we are playing there are some positives. Bringing through academy kids has been a positive in all this terrible football. 

Edit.... Thinking about it Burley probably did the best job. Saving us from spiralling to the relegation zone under Gregory to finishing 4th the next season without spending any money is some achievement 

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Phil Brown and Nigel Pearson were both dealt worse hands than Phil Cocu, as was Craig Burley.

Pearson was bought in to bring steel and backbone to the team, but was stabbed in the back by the likes of Keogh running to Mel, and never allowed to do his job before being sacked. Brown was given only one cash signing (Darren Moore). Burley never paid a penny for a player.

Worst manager for me is Paul Jewell, he tried his hardest with a scattergun approach to 23 mainly useless signiings in 12 months, and no discernable plan to get them to play together properly!

Cox > Smith > McClaren > Davies > Burley > Lampard > Rowett > Nigel Clough > McFarland > Todd>  Pearson > Brown > Cocu > Gregory > Jewell 

At least Keogh was able to run when Pearson was gaffer... 

Brown tenure was bizaare and ill-conceived, he was like a pervy, older Uncle you are embarrassed about. 

But man alive...let's be clear that Paul Jewell was still 10 times worse. I don't know if he was having some kind of a breakdown but I cannot think of anything he did right. He was like the juggernaut carrying lumber in Final Destination 2, when the chains came off everyone and everything in his path got destroyed. 

Cocu is on a par with Clement for me. Obviously results are different but both looked the business but ultimately left looking a bit Emperors New Clothes. 

Many on here mention Docherty as the worst manager appointed by the club, in my opinion the bloke who Docherty replaced Colin Murphy takes some beating!

Murphy had only ever played in non-league and turned to coaching at Forest, came to Derby as a reserve team coach and me, me dad, all me dads mates down at the Jubilee Club in Chaddo and the Popside regulars were gobsmacked when he was appointed manager when Mackay left.

When you’ve a squad which includes Boulton, Thomas, Todd, McFarland, Nish, Daly, Gemmill, Newton, Hector and Charlie George and you only manage 7 wins from 35 games you ain’t going to last very long, and he didn’t, seven months to be precise.

Promoted way beyond his skill level, over qualified, under achieving, purveyor of senseless programme notes .........and cheap.

BREAKING NEWS

See that some have mentioned Brian Howard Clough.

Oh dear.....................how sad!

Depends what you mean by worst Manager. In terms of win % Brown, Jewell and Todd are all about the same, just over 20%. Docherty was over 30% but he dismantled a decent team in to also rams, selling some great players and replacing them with crud. In over 50 years of supporting the Rams the most hatred I have seen towards a Manager was Phil Brown. The 6-1 defeat at Coventry at the Ricoh and the abuse he got there was something to behold....

9 hours ago, neil62uk said:

If this goes down like a lead balloon then so be it ,

Just curious to people's perceptions of whom is the worse Derby County manager they've had the misfortune to see .

I've listed below all the managers I've had the pleasure and unfortunately the discomfort to see since my first ever time of watching my beloved Derby County 

For me PHILLIP COCU  takes pride and place as the worse ever manager I've had to witness as a Derby County fan .

I do respect opinions will differ  BUT THAT IS WHAT AN EDUCATED FORUM IS ABOUT ..I use the term EDUCATED lightly as I am aware I  do come out with  some rather unsavory and random comments ? treat this post with the contempt you think it warrant's 

Brain Clough 

Jimmy Gordon 

Dave McKay 

Colin Murphy 

Tommy Docherty

Colin Addison

John Newman 

Peter Taylor 

Roy Mcfarland 

Arthur Cox 

Roy Mcfarland 

Billy McEwan 

Jim Smith 

Colin Todd 

Billy McEwan 

John Gregory

Mark Lillis 

George Burley 

Phill Brown 

Terry Westley 

Billy Davies

Paul Jewell

Chris Hutchings 

David Lowe 

Nigel Clough 

Darren Wassall 

Steve McClaren

Paul Clement 

Darren Wassall 

Nigel Pearson 

Chris Powell 

Steve McClaren 

Gary Rowett 

Frank Lampard 

Phillip Cocu 

I have added Jack Barker , Harry Storer , Tim Ward  but these were before my time  but maybe not before others 

C.O.Y.R  

The reason Cocu for me is not the worst manager ever is because he achieved relative success last season with lots of things going against him. Loans leaving, Injuries, drink driving scandal and focusing on driving the wage bill down helped us achieve 10th place in a competitive league. 
I can’t remember any sort of high points (or at least potential) under Jewell or Phil Brown for example. 

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Depends what you mean by worst Manager. In terms of win % Brown, Jewell and Todd are all about the same, just over 20%. Docherty was over 30% but he dismantled a decent team in to also rams, selling some great players and replacing them with crud. In over 50 years of supporting the Rams the most hatred I have seen towards a Manager was Phil Brown. The 6-1 defeat at Coventry at the Ricoh and the abuse he got there was something to behold....

Posters own opinions  and their views ?

8 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Recency bias.

Paul Jewell & Phil Brown were both worse than Cocu. Its going to be dismissed now but Phil did get us a 10th placed finish & a playoff push last season despite having to deal with some appalling off field circumstances. 

Looking at that recent list though, you do wonder if we're just bloody cursed

In the last 10 years, we've had;

Son of our greatest ever manager

Ex-England manager, Eredivise winner & Europa League runner up (twice)

Real Madrid/PSG/Chelsea wondercoach

Architect of Leicester's Premier League title winning team

Ex-England midfielder & current Chelsea manager

3 time Eredivise winner & World Cup finalist assistant manager

Oh...and Gary Rowett. And we've failed with every single one of them. Where are we going wrong?

When you put it like that. Maybe there is an issue beyond the managers. After all, once past Clough, there is one constant.

I’d have Phil Brown and Nigel Pearson as worse than Cocu.

Jewell was worse than Cocu also, but the situation he inherited was so so bad that it was inevitable.

I can’t see how Rowett has been mentioned though. Yes the football wasn’t great but we were still a top 6 team. 

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I remember playing "count the passes" with Bill Frown. We rarely got above 3 without a hoof down field. That was God awful to watch. 

I remember wanting to body shot the useless b- - t - - d whilst at Coventry in our 6 - 1 defeat ...we where that bad that day even Stern John scored for then 

1 minute ago, neil62uk said:

I remember wanting to body shot the useless b- - t - - d whilst at Coventry in our 6 - 1 defeat ...we where that bad that day even Stern John scored for then 

Yes, that defeat stands out for me. They had another big striker too who Kenna couldn’t deal with. Reminded me of playing rugby for my school and getting overrun by bigger and stronger teams and trying not to have to tackle them. The funny thing about that game though was that it all went wrong in the second half. We went 1-0 up early on and I think it was 1-1 at HT...

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, that defeat stands out for me. They had another big striker too who Kenna couldn’t deal with. Reminded me of playing rugby for my school and getting overrun by bigger and stronger teams and trying not to have to tackle them. The funny thing about that game though was that it all went wrong in the second half. We went 1-0 up early on and I think it was 1-1 at HT...

Peschi scored after around 2 mins ...that's when it all went wrong ?

Archived