Christmas Films

DarkFruitsRam7

3 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

My wife likes it so i have to suffer it.

Im not offended by it but the acting is shocking in it.

I has Cameron Diaz so not all bad, but its full on cheese.

I think these pictures sum up Jack Black's emotional range in this film.

image.png.beaf4e264d84c84d80d562c236365ea0.png

image.thumb.png.20d034f041d41f18fd5fd8cce350e285.png

image.png.6b44a614043abc910385debf95b63158.png

image.png.cd8a1f1a97aae0aa9177e283db84ef76.png

image.png.3a18d1ecbf4e332dd8b1fa7765b9d710.png

Edit: Just realised the first and last pics are the same. I think that kind of proves my point.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Had heard a lot about it and watched it a few years ago. Just thought it was really crap, and my opinion hasn't changed despite hearing loads of people saying it's the best Christmas film ever.

I prefer the 2009 animated one with Jim Carrey (though you wouldn't know it was him).

I can appreciate you not liking it, each to their own and all that. However I'm sure if you thought about it long enough it would be quite a way down the list of over rated films of all time. Didn't realise there was an animated version btw. I'll have to look that one up. 

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

I can appreciate you not liking it, each to their own and all that. However I'm sure if you thought about it long enough it would be quite a way down the list of over rated films of all time. Didn't realise there was an animated version btw. I'll have to look that one up. 

I'm not sure. I've heard so many people say it's the best Christmas film ever, and I just don't get it. I'm by no means a film buff so I haven't got a huge list of overrated films in my head.

But as you say, each to their own. It's certainly not an offensive film. I just found it a bit dull.

Muppets Christmas Carol is our Christmas Eve film. Tradition. Every year, wherever we are.

The Holiday is a guilty pleasure. Really easy watch, and much more wholesome than Love Actually.

Die Hard is a Christmas film and great.

Elf is also one of the best. Fun for all ages.

Shout out to The Santa Clause (1 and 2) watched with the kids and really enjoyed them. Classic Tim Allen with sprinkling of magic.

11 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Muppets Christmas Carol is our Christmas Eve film. Tradition. Every year, wherever we are.

The Holiday is a guilty pleasure. Really easy watch, and much more wholesome than Love Actually.

Die Hard is a Christmas film and great.

Elf is also one of the best. Fun for all ages.

Shout out to The Santa Clause (1 and 2) watched with the kids and really enjoyed them. Classic Tim Allen with sprinkling of magic.

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Meh.

14 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I will never watch it, likewise Four Weddings and a Funeral. Had the misfortune to watch Notting Hill once. Made we want to curl up and die. Hate that sort of film set in Britain/British film made to purely appeal to US audience, of a Britain that pretty much doesn't exist. Long Good Friday is what a proper British Film should be. Or Secrets & Lies.

Read a bit about Love Actually recently. Sounds like weird, creepy stuff so glad I never saw it.

Amen. Awful films all of them. 

I HAVE seen it, once. Also note that a few people had it in their fav films ever...just can't get my head round it. 

Truly appalling, saccharin-sweet, vomit-inducing bilge. Gives me a migraine watching that middle-class US/UK hybrid, sickly, romanticised version of Britain. 

Scrooge is hard to beat (black n white version) and Elf is worth a watch. Bad Santa too... 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think these pictures sum up Jack Black's emotional range in this film.

image.png.beaf4e264d84c84d80d562c236365ea0.png

image.thumb.png.20d034f041d41f18fd5fd8cce350e285.png

image.png.6b44a614043abc910385debf95b63158.png

image.png.cd8a1f1a97aae0aa9177e283db84ef76.png

image.png.3a18d1ecbf4e332dd8b1fa7765b9d710.png

Edit: Just realised the first and last pics are the same. I think that kind of proves my point.

Every year my missus begs me to watch and from how she describes it I know I will hate it and refuse. Thank you, you have confirmed my every fear. 

My anger about Love Actually is matched only by a boiling hatred of 'Strictly'. Every week its the same argument...finally this week I agreed to stay in the room for its entirety (and just look at my phone) as long as she didn't talk to me about it and 'treated me' at bedtime.... 

Ten minutes in I went for a walk (no its not a typo). No matter what I say she insists on saying which reality programme the person is from or talks about how their outfit looks. What is truly baffling is her brother watches it too and was texting her... I just can't fathom it!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Amen. Awful films all of them. 

I HAVE seen it, once. Also note that a few people had it in their fav films ever...just can't get my head round it. 

Truly appalling, saccharin-sweet, vomit-inducing bilge. Gives me a migraine watching that middle-class US/UK hybrid, sickly, romanticised version of Britain. 

Scrooge is hard to beat (black n white version) and Elf is worth a watch. Bad Santa too... 

i remember Jonathan Ross telling Richard Curtis he was probably responsible for more attacks on Americans in London than anyone in history as they were getting of the plane and wandering around aimlessly looking for this Georgian mews utopia he was peddling. If he ever went back to America he be classed as an enemy of the state.

Two films very much at opposite ends of the spectrum are the standouts for me. It's a Wonderful life is a joyous reminder of the milk of human kindness and a wonderful Xmas movie for all the family. Bad Santa is, quite simply, a wonderfully depraved and polar opposite rendition of the former. With scenes like the 'you ain't gonna poo right for a week' one, it's definitely not one to watch with the younger kids or the in-laws though.

N.B. Ignore @DarkFruitsRam7's opinion on the latter of the two as we know from both his choice in booze and his selected venues for what I'll politely term 'sexy time', that he has literally zero taste in anything, a theory now clearly substantiated through his viewing choices too. ?

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's on my list to watch this year. I've heard good things.

Its a great film. I once watched it on Christmas Day in Malaga. This cinema played films in English with Spanish subtitles. However the owner didn't realise only the first 10 minutes is in English. Therefore, I and a dozen ex pats watched a film in Finnish with Spanish subtitles. Great Christmas Day.  

Archived