Christmas Films

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Beetroot said:

Love Actually is an abomination. It's not allowed in my house at any time of year.

I will never watch it, likewise Four Weddings and a Funeral. Had the misfortune to watch Notting Hill once. Made we want to curl up and die. Hate that sort of film set in Britain/British film made to purely appeal to US audience, of a Britain that pretty much doesn't exist. Long Good Friday is what a proper British Film should be. Or Secrets & Lies.

Read a bit about Love Actually recently. Sounds like weird, creepy stuff so glad I never saw it.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Read a bit about Love Actually recently. Sounds like weird, creepy stuff so glad I never saw it.

If you can, try and live out your life without ever seeing it. It's worse than you imagine. I actually get angry at people who like it. I don't show it openly but I lose respect for them. It exposes their lack of any meaningful soul.

4 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

If you can, try and live out your life without ever seeing it. It's worse than you imagine. I actually get angry at people who like it. I don't show it openly but I lose respect for them. It exposes their lack of any meaningful soul.

Does that mean I'm sacked?

love actually GIF

53 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Does that mean I'm sacked?

love actually GIF

I feel strongly about it. A part of me wants to ask you why you like the film... start a debate... but it's like with your arguement with your gammon about Johnny Foreigner as manager... you're so far apart in your views - what's the point? One of my best friends thinks Noel Gallagher is one of the best songwriters in the country - how do you even start to argue with that when you have a 4 year old daughter genuinely showing more talent with her poo based ditties? Love Actually lovers, Noel Gallagher lovers, Trump supporters... you might as well be Fore$t fans. 

The problem with Love Actually is that half the storylines ruin the film. The guy wanting to get with his best mates wife, after they’ve just got married. Adulterous man buying presents for someone else, showing the hardship on his wife. While the other storylines have charm and are fun, those ruin it for me sadly.

16 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

I feel strongly about it. A part of me wants to ask you why you like the film... start a debate... but it's like with your arguement with your gammon about Johnny Foreigner as manager... you're so far apart in your views - what's the point? One of my best friends thinks Noel Gallagher is one of the best songwriters in the country - how do you even start to argue with that when you have a 4 year old daughter genuinely showing more talent with her poo based ditties? Love Actually lovers, Noel Gallagher lovers, Trump supporters... you might as well be Fore$t fans. 

Noel Gallagher wrote some of the best songs of the mid nineties, mostly the stuff that was on Oasis B sides.  Anyone who says otherwise is part of a secret collectors society that trades Kenny Burns farts on the black market.  Love Actually is rubbish though. 

25 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

I thought you were a new poster, then I saw you had 8k posts. What was your previous name?

1 hour ago, Beetroot said:

No fear, I'll never watch it or 4 Weddings. Will never watch Grease either. Ignorance is bliss.

I unfortunately saw Bridget Jones Diary. Can't be many more sexist films than that.

I don't think I'm a total cultural snob. I thought Titanic was pretty good for a big budget release. Love Star Wars and Marvel films.

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Noel Gallagher rewrote some of the best songs, and passed them off as his own, of the mid nineties, mostly the stuff that was on Oasis B sides.  Anyone who says otherwise is part of a secret collectors society that trades Kenny Burns farts on the black market.  Love Actually is rubbish though. 

FTFY.

31 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Noel Gallagher is a great songwriter.

And why do I like Love Actually? It's like a 2-hour John Lewis Christmas advert.

2 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Lyrically th...

... no. I'm not doing it. 

Probably another topic, but how much of being a great songwriter is lyrics and how much is the music? Is it how they both work together? Then you have bands, Manics or Smith say, where someone writes the words and someone else does the music. Are the band the songwriters, or the individuals?

I love some Oasis songs, but the lyrics are secondary. Don't Look Back in Anger is possibly my favourite of their big hits, but the lyrics are pretty meaningless.

Half the World Away has some good words. And the drop out words of Cigarettes and Alcohol is pretty, especially when you are 16.

Archived