Christmas Films

DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

The original, or the edited version. The world is going mad, and I blame then young ones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

I really don’t wish to get into a debate over this, particularly as I don’t think it should have been censored.

But let’s not pretend that radio hasn’t always been precious. For example, it’s long censored the word ‘poo’ (without the forum swear filter).

At least the ‘f word’ in Fairytale of New York can be genuinely offensive when used in specific contexts (that I don’t think anyone could deny), whereas the ‘s word’ is just another word for what comes out of everyone’s arse.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I really don’t wish to get into a debate over this, particularly as I don’t think it should have been censored.

But let’s not pretend that radio hasn’t always been precious. For example, it’s long censored the word ‘poo’ (without the forum swear filter).

At least the ‘f word’ in Fairytale of New York can be genuinely offensive when used in specific contexts (that I don’t think anyone could deny), whereas the ‘s word’ is just another word for what comes out of everyone’s arse.

My young friend I think it is still ok to quote the word faggot. Use your Brains.

About to introduce my 5 year old to Pluto's Christmas Tree. The VHS is still in the tv cabinet at my mums along with Mickey's Christmas Carol and my VHS box set of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 1. Buffy isn't a Christmas film though so I'll just watch that on my own one night. Just like I used to.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but a big hand to all those who recommended Bad Santa.

Never heard of it before checking out this thread for inspiration, but I can concur with all those that claim it to be an excellent Christmas Eve watch, particularly as our annual pub-going antics have been curtailed this year.

Thoroughly enjoyable film, and would highly recommend.  

Put me in the mood for Christmas... with only minutes to spare!  

Cheers.  ?

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Late to the party, but a big hand to all those who recommended Bad Santa.

Never heard of it before checking out this thread for inspiration, but I can concur with all those that claim it to be an excellent Christmas Eve watch, particularly as our annual pub-going antics have been curtailed this year.

Thoroughly enjoyable film, and would highly recommend.  

Put me in the mood for Christmas... with only minutes to spare!  

Cheers.  ?

If you want another lesser known Christmas movie, give The Family Stone a watch.

On 17/11/2020 at 15:09, Wolfie said:

Caught most of Trading Places last night on SKY

I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed that film. More lady bumps than I remembered as well, so that was nice.

I still remember Baddiel and Skinner's fantasy football programme (on ITV?) and the running gag was the guest would interrupt something when they turned up and rang the doorbell. One episode the fake continuity announcer said "next tonight it's that bit on Trading Places where Jamie Lee Curtis takes her top off... ding dong, somebody at the door". 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Real Christmas classic on More4. 

The longest day. 

Bloody awful film. 
should have been a classic as it should immortalise the greatest day in WW2 but it just has too many stars in walk on roles and a truly awful performance from Kenneth Moore. Sophia Loren as a french villager? 

Richard Burton is typically smouldering and fantastic. Robert Duvall is in there somewhere. 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Bloody awful film. 
should have been a classic as it should immortalise the greatest day in WW2 but it just has too many stars in walk on roles and a truly awful performance from Kenneth Moore. Sophia Loren as a french villager? 

Richard Burton is typically smouldering and fantastic. Robert Duvall is in there somewhere. 

The French villager/resistance fighter wasn't Sophia Loren, it was Irina Demick, who was the lover of the film's producer, Darryl F. Zanuck.

Despite a host of many well known American actors, Robert Duvall wasn't in the film.

Probably the most authentic actor was Richard Todd, who played Major Howard, who led the capture of Pegasus Bridge, as Todd was a paratrooper who landed in Normandy in the early hours of D-Day, and fought in the fields close to the bridge.

10 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

The French villager/resistance fighter wasn't Sophia Loren, it was Irina Demick, who was the lover of the film's producer, Darryl F. Zanuck.

Despite a host of many well known American actors, Robert Duvall wasn't in the film.

Probably the most authentic actor was Richard Todd, who played Major Howard, who led the capture of Pegasus Bridge, as Todd was a paratrooper who landed in Normandy in the early hours of D-Day, and fought in the fields close to the bridge.

You’re quite right. Rod Steiger I was thinking of - not Robert Duvall. 
still awful. 

Archived