Harry Wilson - gone to Cardiff on a season long loan

Animal is a Ram

Wilson is a great player, but I'm glad we walked away from this on principle if nothing else. Paying 1.2 million plus wages for the privilege of developing a Liverpool player for a season is ridiculous. I know we may struggle to bring anyone else half as good in, but I'd rather go to the food bank than beg for scraps from the lord's table.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

My maths was about 32 wks (working to the end of May) * 60k + £1.2m = £3.12m

Can't imagine there won't be some level of appearance/goal/some other clause bonuses. Agents fees bunged on top, perhaps?

Could be. Might be true that we needed to sell Sibley to make this deal workable.

I guess it is just disappointing. A signing like Wilson would have brought some much needed excitement, positivity and made life easier for everyone. 

The key thing is that it would have taken some of the pressure off the likes of Lawrence, Waghorn, Sibley, Ibe and Jozwiak - who now will have to carry our hopes for the season squarely on their shoulders.

It’s a massive ask for the lads.

2 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

No but we tell @Jourdan this all the time and he doesn't listen!

Where has it been said that we don’t pay any of Rooney’s wages?

Please show me the official reports and I’ll step off my soap box.

I’ve always understood that 32 Red pay a lump sum that merely subsidises his wages, not covers them completely.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Could be. Might be true that we needed to sell Sibley to make this deal workable.

I guess it is just disappointing. A signing like Wilson would have brought some much needed excitement, positivity and made life easier for everyone. 

The key thing is that it would have taken some of the pressure off the likes of Lawrence, Waghorn, Sibley, Ibe and Jozwiak - who now will have to carry our hopes for the season squarely on their shoulders.

If we had to sell Sibley to fund a one year loan for Wilson, I would have been ducking fuming. Sibley is the future of this club, Wilson is not, simple. 

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

At the same time, I'd rather keep Sibley than sell Sibley to fund the loan of Wilson - we've got wide forwards in Ibe, Lawrence and Jozwaik (Whittaker and Waghorn at a push) but Sibley is the best attacking midfielder at the club. 

I'd have been more comfortable with the notion of selling Sibley to fund a good target striker.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

At the same time, I'd rather keep Sibley than sell Sibley to fund the loan of Wilson - we've got wide forwards in Ibe, Lawrence and Jozwaik (Whittaker and Waghorn at a push) but Sibley is the best attacking midfielder at the club. 

I'd have been more comfortable with the notion of selling Sibley to fund a good target striker.

Maybe but at what point do you see Sibley being the difference between us getting promoted and not?

2-3 years, maybe?

A promotion ahead of schedule would bring much needed financial relief and less pressure to sell our young players moving forward.

Maybe that was the thinking behind bringing in Wilson?

£3.4 million wouldn’t look so much with an extra £120 million in the bank.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Maybe but at what point do you see Sibley being the difference between us getting promoted and not?

2-3 years, maybe?

A promotion ahead of schedule would bring much needed financial relief and less pressure to sell our young players moving forward.

Even with Wilson, I wouldn't see us as a promotion team this season. Difference between dull mid table and top six perhaps, but I could see Sibley being that this season if he continues to grow as we all hope.

55 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

2-3 years, maybe?

This is exactly why we got into this mess. 'Only' £3.4 Mill with nothing but a chance of promotion from it. 

What if we didn't go up? Then we've just completely broken our wage structure for the sake of one player again and leaves us with no sell on value. At least Rooney is ours and has probably brought a decent amount back to the club in increased revenue. 

2 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

It saddens you that we are not a sports-washing project for a dictatorship, or a safe haven investment for a robber baron?

Football fans really are mad.

Aha I didn't say I wanted that. Nothing would please me more than us competing with the big boys with Mel and Cocu at the helm. You don't know me so please don't make judgements about me. Thank you

6 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

This is exactly why we got into this mess. 'Only' £3.4 Mill with nothing but a chance of promotion from it. 

What if we didn't go up? Then we've just completely broken our wage structure for the sake of one player again and leaves us with no sell on value. At least Rooney is ours and has probably brought a decent amount back to the club in increased revenue. 

Is it though?

Massive difference between paying £3.5 million for a proven, game-changing, match-winning player like Wilson compared to spending £8-10m on Butterfield and Johnson and other such deals.

If we don’t go up, so be it. But at least we could look back and say we’ve given Cocu something to work with. 

The narrative now will be that Cocu hasn’t been backed and has had his hands tied and the old chestnut of the players aren’t good enough and they are holding us back. With a player like Wilson, it would go some way to eliminating any fall back on excuses.

Does Rooney have sell-on value? Is Rooney any more likely to drive us to promotion?

The legacy of that particular move will be the marketing and PR director got a very nice plant for their desk but having no effect where it really matters - on the pitch.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I suppose Cardiff can afford it with the money they saved by welching on the Sala deal.

Cardiff have always been 1 of them teams I"ve disliked more than others, this debacle proper made me hate them.........the duckin cheek to have banners up with "he's 1 of our own" and "bluebird forever" and then not paying.....duckin scumbags

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Wilson is a great player, but I'm glad we walked away from this on principle if nothing else. Paying 1.2 million plus wages for the privilege of developing a Liverpool player for a season is ridiculous. I know we may struggle to bring anyone else half as good in, but I'd rather go to the food bank than beg for scraps from the lord's table.

Amen

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Post of the transfer window mate. I don’t think Mel could have phrased it any better.

48 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The narrative now will be that Cocu hasn’t been backed and has had his hands tied and the old chestnut of the players aren’t good enough and they are holding us back. With a player like Wilson, it would go some way to eliminating any fall back on excuses.

Exactly, cocu will get another pass for this season because we didn't land certain targets. The excuses never end. I'm fed up of it. We need to be competitive

7 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Post of the transfer window mate. I don’t think Mel could have phrased it any better.

Agreed, I’m not a fan of loans unless there is chance of signing them at the end. Look how Chelsea have benefitted from Mounts time with us... we probably paid them for the privilege. Keeps the gap growing. 

1 hour ago, Dappled Ram said:

Aha I didn't say I wanted that. Nothing would please me more than us competing with the big boys with Mel and Cocu at the helm. You don't know me so please don't make judgements about me. Thank you

Fair enough, I must have misunderstood you. My feeling is, as long as I don't want a sheik or an oligarch as owner I have to be supportive and understanding of attempts to make do with a lot less.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Is it though?

Massive difference between paying £3.5 million for a proven, game-changing, match-winning player like Wilson compared to spending £8-10m on Butterfield and Johnson and other such deals.

If we don’t go up, so be it. But at least we could look back and say we’ve given Cocu something to work with. 

It's so easy to say all that from where we are sitting.

Funnily enough, taking away excuses was exactly Mel's justification for buying Johnson and Butterfield.

And, so what? So it's reality that we cannot afford the players we would most like to have.

Archived