Harry Wilson - gone to Cardiff on a season long loan

Animal is a Ram

2 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

and get rid of FFP as it dosnt matter how rich you are if you cannot spend the money, personally I think FFP is a good thing but something needs to be done about parachute payment's as it gives relegated clubs too much of an advantage

The teams with parachute money have got the drop on us. They have landed on their feet  It is like they have a protective canopy over them. Silky smooth return to prem for them in many cases. So much easier for them to reach their targets and land the players they want. Far too much of a bail out imo. Have I made myself plane.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Let's face Derby is not an attractive club to be at nowadays. We are seen as a club with little ambition, a training base for academy players and the last base for aging players. As I've said before much is rotten in the state of football; a radical rethink is needed.

That's why Mel has been looking for ways to invest more , because we have ambition. Don't agree with you on this one .

4 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

That's why Mel has been looking for ways to invest more , because we have ambition. Don't agree with you on this one .

That's ok.  Feel free to disagree. I just feel that we don't actually seem to be getting anywhere. Players don't seem to want to come to Derby and Chris Martin did say he was going to a club with ambition when he left Derby although you can't always believe what you read in the papers.

2 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

That's ok.  Feel free to disagree. I just feel that we don't actually seem to be getting anywhere. Players don't seem to want to come to Derby and Chris Martin did say he was going to a club with ambition when he left Derby although you can't always believe what you read in the papers.

I don't think this reflects on the attractiveness or ambition of DCFC per se, more the fact that what attracts footballers the most is money - and we aren't allowed to spend enough money atm.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

The teams with parachute money have got the drop on us. They have landed on their feet  It is like they have a protective canopy over them. Silky smooth return to prem for them in many cases. So much easier for them to reach their targets and land the players they want. Far too much of a bail out imo. Have I made myself plane.

Couldn't agree more. I've banged on about this before, it's very unjust.  I appreciate the principle in that relegated clubs have to protect high wages, revenue etc but due to the huge imbalance between the PL revenue and the EFL this creates a big split once in the championship,  even bigger when players are also sold. Watford, Norwich and Bournemouth banked some £40m just to be relegated.  Bournemouth have also banked a further £80m in transfers.  Cardiff will have banked some £75m in parachute payments, since their relegation (prob why they've signed Wilson, not us). Covid has shown us this isn't sustainable for non PL clubs. You only have to look at Bolton, Bury and Wigan. Others are teetering.  I hope the new Manifesto for Change gets somewhere.  

Off soap box...

26 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

It's all about money somewhere in the mix. Money is God and football is its servant.

Of course it's about money but even if Mel wanted to, his hands are tied by P&S due to our attempts to obtain promotion over recent years. Having an owner with double Mel's money wouldn't change this.

35 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I thought you were winging it but now I get the thrust of your argument!

40 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Some of the sides you allude to didn't have the parachute money to start with as they weren't playing in the Premiership but got promoted independently. 

27 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Maybe Derby have been spoiled in recent years... players don’t come to Derby? We have signed some quality in the last few years, loan and permanent - Bent, Wilson, Mount, Rooney, Bielik, Joswiak, Ibe. Managers- Lampard, Cocu

Not all signings have been great but I would argue we have attracted some big names here. We are trying to balance the books though and you won’t find many championship teams splashing big money at the moment due to current climate. 

Archived