Knight receives full Ireland call up

RhodesTheRam

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Unlikely to play I would have thought, unless a cameo as a sub.

Think he might.  That Ireland squad is terrible. Strange, as they've generally had a good mix of experienced players and good youngsters coming through over the years.  Think about the team they had in 2002 with Given, Harte, Kelly, Keane, Duff etc.

Can anyone actually explain to me how qualification now works, or will that take a degree in quantum physics. A qualifying group of 5 teams seemed much simpler.  Nations leagues and qualification groups. Some teams have 30 point's and have played each other 4 times in a year .  What's with the penalty shoot outs.

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Think he might.  That Ireland squad is terrible. Strange, as they've generally had a good mix of experienced players and good youngsters coming through over the years.  Think about the team they had in 2002 with Given, Harte, Kelly, Keane, Duff etc.

Can anyone actually explain to me how qualification now works, or will that take a degree in quantum physics. A qualifying group of 5 teams seemed much simpler.  Nations leagues and qualification groups. Some teams have 30 point's and have played each other 4 times in a year .  What's with the penalty shoot outs.

Qualification system was mostly for EURO's and therefore, last season. 2020-2021 is so called Adjustment season and the goal is to reduce the numbers of pointless international friendlies. Other aim is to have more stable "leagues" where teams can be relegated and promoted more naturally.

There's is a tiny chance that the position of a team will have effect on World Cup playoffs, but not necessarily. Teams who win their original qualifying group book their places to World Cup as usual. That's 10 teams already. Runners-up will be joined by two teams through Nations League and only three will make it to the cup itself.

Archived