Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

On 06/11/2020 at 20:27, Kinder said:

I drew out my brother in the Secret Santa at work so I’ve bought this for him from the club shop. Had it delivered this week - it’s going to be hard not to read it first! 

I think you're perfectly entitled to, I won't tell. Hope he/you enjoy the book!

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I know it was more of a passion project, but I hope it's been a nice little earner for you, @HuddersRam?

I don't have a clue to be honest mate. As it's through publisher, I don't imagine I'll know for a few months yet, although it seems to have gone down well so far which is the main part. Think they make a killing and I pick up any scraps!

Both me and young Ilkley have our own copies and I'm up to page 100 after a couple of days. It's an excellent read in the main

The bit that I've just gone through is the Lionel/3 amigos changeover and the John Gregory/George Burley period.  I had put most of it happily to the back of my mind.  Hope to God that we're not embarking on a similar period in our history, though learning that Mel has been in negotiation since May you do wonder whether Cocu was promised money and players which haven't been delivered.

One question @HuddersRam - George Burley was apparently not willing to talk about the relationship with Murdo Mackay as Director of Football and also about the allegations that were made about him around the time he left yet he appears still to be angry/upset about them. It seems odd to me that 15 years later he wouldn't discuss those things unless there were legal restrictions preventing him doing so or whether he didn't just want to rake up the past. Without breaking any confidences can you tell us why that was?  

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Both me and young Ilkley have our own copies and I'm up to page 100 after a couple of days. It's an excellent read in the main

The bit that I've just gone through is the Lionel/3 amigos changeover and the John Gregory/George Burley period.  I had put most of it happily to the back of my mind.  Hope to God that we're not embarking on a similar period in our history, though learning that Mel has been in negotiation since May you do wonder whether Cocu was promised money and players which haven't been delivered.

One question @HuddersRam - George Burley was apparently not willing to talk about the relationship with Murdo Mackay as Director of Football and also about the allegations that were made about him around the time he left yet he appears still to be angry/upset about them. It seems odd to me that 15 years later he wouldn't discuss those things unless there were legal restrictions preventing him doing so or whether he didn't just want to rake up the past. Without breaking any confidences can you tell us why that was?  

Thanks Ilkley! I'd like to think we could never go through a period like that again but who knows with Derby County to be honest. Looking back, if it wasn't for the fanbase, things would have got very dark.

Yeah George was a bit of a spiky character. In the end I only got around 20 minutes with him and he was pretty quick to shut down any chat on Murdo and the situation there unfortunately. I pursued again with a text but he made it pretty clear there was no chance I'd get anything from him on it. But to be quite honest, there were lots of people from over the years who didn't want to drag over old things. Burley, Gregory, Jeremy Keith. None of them wanted to go over much and of the three, it was only Burley who was happy to pick up the phone.

Don't think there were legal restrictions, just don't think he fancied going over unhappy memories. I think for the most part, the people who couldn't speak because of legal restrictions were quite open in saying it.

Just finished the book...had a little pause before Rowett onwards as I was a bit fed up how bad we were playing!

Thanks for writing this book though, a brilliant read from start to finish. Difficult to pick my favourite part. The Clough chapters were fascinating. The (only) promotion season was illuminating.

Do you think you will write another book soon? You obviously knew a lot about Derby already...is it tough to think of something else that you aren't as already as invested in?

Hope to read more from you in the future.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just finished the book...had a little pause before Rowett onwards as I was a bit fed up how bad we were playing!

Thanks for writing this book though, a brilliant read from start to finish. Difficult to pick my favourite part. The Clough chapters were fascinating. The (only) promotion season was illuminating.

Do you think you will write another book soon? You obviously knew a lot about Derby already...is it tough to think of something else that you aren't as already as invested in?

Hope to read more from you in the future.

Haha completely understandable! Glad you enjoyed it buddy. Yeah the Clough ones seem to have really gone down well, which is mad because honestly, they were the ones without any controversy compared to the rest!

I've got a few ideas, although I'm not sure what else I can say about Derby at the minute. There are a couple of bits in the pipeline, but I'm just trying to work whether I've got the capacity to dedicate all time outside of work to another one at the minute!

If anyone has read the book (I know a few of you have, don't be shy), please feel free to leave a review from wherever you grabbed it from. It really helps to know what you all thought of it and whether it would be worth looking into a potential follow up one day!

Just now, HuddersRam said:

Haha completely understandable! Glad you enjoyed it buddy. Yeah the Clough ones seem to have really gone down well, which is mad because honestly, they were the ones without any controversy compared to the rest!

I've got a few ideas, although I'm not sure what else I can say about Derby at the minute. There are a couple of bits in the pipeline, but I'm just trying to work whether I've got the capacity to dedicate all time outside of work to another one at the minute!

If anyone has read the book (I know a few of you have, don't be shy), please feel free to leave a review from wherever you grabbed it from. It really helps to know what you all thought of it and whether it would be worth looking into a potential follow up one day!

Aaaaand just a quick one on here. I'm looking at setting up some signed copies from some of those players who contributed to Pride. Asked the question on Twitter and it seemed to have a lot of interest but if anyone here would be keen on getting a signed copy from one of those who contributed, just let me know. ?

10 hours ago, silhillian said:

A great read, really enjoyed it.  Don't think there's another book out there that gives such an insightful look into our more recent past.  Never a dull moment being a Derby fan and it looks like the next few years could be just as colourful!  Thanks  @HuddersRam.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it!

21 hours ago, HuddersRam said:

Aaaaand just a quick one on here. I'm looking at setting up some signed copies from some of those players who contributed to Pride. Asked the question on Twitter and it seemed to have a lot of interest but if anyone here would be keen on getting a signed copy from one of those who contributed, just let me know. ?

If you can get Warren Barton, Claude Davis, Eddie Lewis and Stern John to sign it then I’m in. 

21 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Hi @HuddersRam, I'm asking my missus to get me a copy for Christmas

Quick question: is it better to get it from Amazon or from your publisher? Which one will you make more money out of? Would rather put a bit more in your pocket! ?

To be honest mate, I don't think there's any difference! The club have it though in case you wanted it to stick local, or I think it will be in bookstores when the shops reopen again. I'll drop you a DM though

19 hours ago, HuddersRam said:

Swap Stern John for Robert Earnshaw and you've got yourself a deal

Not a chance. I am truly after the cream here so want Dean Holdsworth as well now, surely, along with Hector and possibly Bloomer, the greatest centre forward to have ever played for us. Magical memories. I hope he gets his own chapter in your book.

42 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Not a chance. I am truly after the cream here so want Dean Holdsworth as well now, surely, along with Hector and possibly Bloomer, the greatest centre forward to have ever played for us. Magical memories. I hope he gets his own chapter in your book.

Spoiler alert...................

He doesn't