Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

1 hour ago, HuddersRam said:

Great to hear, @FlyBritishMidland! Yeah my first word count from the publishers was 90k. Quickly realised that was way, way below what was needed. In the end, the book could have been half the size! Glad you enjoyed it mate.

And a huge thank you to everyone who has got a copy of the book or just expressed any interest in it. It's been absolutely mental these past few weeks as the book went up to 2nd in the Amazon football charts, which is about 1000 places higher than I ever hoped for. Don't ask what Roald Dahl is doing in the football charts (no idea either). Up the Rams. ?Roald.thumb.PNG.3ca32479568bdc5ec4a80dcb3f87c8fa.PNG

How many have you sold? It's a compelling read. My worst fears about Nigel seem confirmed.  Terrible spiteful streak and old fashioned methods. Created great unity but ruthless discarding of players (equal to or greater than the ruthlessness of his sacking)  and caused unnecessary injuries.  Very mixed on the transfer front.  I'm up to the end of Mac 1. It's mostly thrilling to relive but awful to read how he hadn't properly considered to get a back up for Martin.

Well done, great timing on this one, we were ready for this!

3 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

How many have you sold? It's a compelling read. My worst fears about Nigel seem confirmed.  Terrible spiteful streak and old fashioned methods. Created great unity but ruthless discarding of players (equal to or greater than the ruthlessness of his sacking)  and caused unnecessary injuries.  Very mixed on the transfer front.  I'm up to the end of Mac 1. It's mostly thrilling to relive but awful to read how he hadn't properly considered to get a back up for Martin.

Well done, great timing on this one, we were ready for this!

Not a clue to be honest! I imagine the publishers will let me know in the next month or so, although it's done way better than I - and they - expected. Never realised we had so many supporters! To be honest, the club support has helped a lot as well. They've been brilliant for saying it's not entirely complimentary of them over the years.

Agreed on Nigel. There was actually quite a bit I wasn't allowed to use unfortunately (most of which was from Giles Barnes) because it would have left me on pretty shaky ground! Either loved or hated is Clough.

40 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

Not a clue to be honest! I imagine the publishers will let me know in the next month or so, although it's done way better than I - and they - expected. Never realised we had so many supporters! To be honest, the club support has helped a lot as well. They've been brilliant for saying it's not entirely complimentary of them over the years.

Agreed on Nigel. There was actually quite a bit I wasn't allowed to use unfortunately (most of which was from Giles Barnes) because it would have left me on pretty shaky ground! Either loved or hated is Clough.

I think you should have a 24hr book buyers bonus deal.

We send you pictures of our books, and in return you email us the good stuff you had to leave out!

We won't say a word, honest.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I think you should have a 24hr book buyers bonus deal.

We send you pictures of our books, and in return you email us the good stuff you had to leave out!

We won't say a word, honest.

Think I should have put it in the smallprint somewhere. If we can get enough people to hold a 'Free the Pride one' sort of protest, I'll out them all.

Hope you enjoy the book, @Pearl Ram!

Also what I found consistent through the book was the parallels when the team was doing well. Get a target man who can hold the ball up with the ball good at their feet (Kuqi, Hulse, Rasiak, Martin, CKR) a midfield enforcer (Eustace, Thorne, Bielik) and workhorses in midfield (Bryson, Knight).

Also bringing in good characters and not big time charlies that can upset the team unity. The January transfer window, often doing more harm than good.

I started reading my copy yesterday and I’m really enjoying it. I’m not sure if it’s deliberate but I think the stylistic of the narrative that runs through the book (what I have read so far) is quite unique. The opinions from the various people involved give the reader a chance to form their own opinions against the the sequence of chronological events of the last 20 years. Whilst you do see this in other books what you also tend to get is the authors bias of the opinion they’ve formed underpinning this. What’s is genuinely original (in my view) in your book is that this runs parallel to the opinion/bias that has been formed by the general views that you get on forums such as this and others that preceded it over the years, rather than the learned opinion from the established author/journalist writing the book. It has made me reflect on a fair few assumptions I’ve made over the years and also made me think more about what is happening now and has happened in the last 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

Also what I found consistent through the book was the parallels when the team was doing well. Get a target man who can hold the ball up with the ball good at their feet (Kuqi, Hulse, Rasiak, Martin, CKR) a midfield enforcer (Eustace, Thorne, Bielik) and workhorses in midfield (Bryson, Knight).

Also bringing in good characters and not big time charlies that can upset the team unity. The January transfer window, often doing more harm than good.

Very good observation, although I think we need a few more victories under our belt before we say we’re “doing well” with CKR, Bielik and Knight.

8 hours ago, Orphanram said:

I started reading my copy yesterday and I’m really enjoying it. I’m not sure if it’s deliberate but I think the stylistic of the narrative that runs through the book (what I have read so far) is quite unique. The opinions from the various people involved give the reader a chance to form their own opinions against the the sequence of chronological events of the last 20 years. Whilst you do see this in other books what you also tend to get is the authors bias of the opinion they’ve formed underpinning this. What’s is genuinely original (in my view) in your book is that this runs parallel to the opinion/bias that has been formed by the general views that you get on forums such as this and others that preceded it over the years, rather than the learned opinion from the established author/journalist writing the book. It has made me reflect on a fair few assumptions I’ve made over the years and also made me think more about what is happening now and has happened in the last 6 months. 

Thank you so much @Orphanram. To be honest, it's a style I've always loved writing in (did me zero favours when it came to those serious uni assessments!) and so I wanted the book to reflect something I'd enjoy reading. It's quality to see that has happened for quite a lot of you out there. I also always wanted to just get the key thoughts of people and make sure it was something genuinely unique and insightful, rather than just the rambles of a disgruntled fan over the years. This forum and the takes of various supporters really helped to get a full feel for the overall opinions, so I didn't want to just go in on my thoughts, because honestly, who wants those?!

Thanks also @Shaftesbury Street, @Ilsonram12, @Anna, @bucktwoand @Phoenix! Incredible to get the feedback from you all. And @QuitYourJibbaJivin+ @G-Ram - hope you enjoy the book! Would love to get your thoughts. Hopefully I've not missed anyone out!

And without being soppy, massive thanks to all of you. I came into 2020 intent on finishing the book and making a success of it, but it's gone way beyond what I thought it would do. It's been a horrid old year but hopefully those of you who have picked up a copy have found it's brought just that little bit of enjoyment to you. I've got a couple more ideas in the pipeline (one Derby and two a bit wider) that I'm hoping to get stuck into in 2021...