Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

I just finished today, comfortably one of the best books I read in 2020.

It gave great insight into the club, at times it confirmed things I already believed and others it challenged them.

It was good to get an education on stuff that was either before my time or I simply cannot remember.

Really good read, thanks for writing it!

46 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

I just finished today, comfortably one of the best books I read in 2020.

It gave great insight into the club, at times it confirmed things I already believed and others it challenged them.

It was good to get an education on stuff that was either before my time or I simply cannot remember.

Really good read, thanks for writing it!

Thank you @Shuff264! That's fantastic to hear, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I'll be going live on TalkSport in an hour or so (absolutely no idea how this has happened) to talk all things Pride, in case anyone doesn't have anything to do and doesn't have a hangover too severe.

I have finally finished this excellent book. Congratulations @HuddersRam, you should feel very proud of yourself for capturing the turmoil of these past 20 odd years.

As I read it, I had in mind that phrase "never meet your heroes". And, though I'd heard stories about Nigel, Mel and others previously, I was still saddened to see them confirmed.

However, as others have previously said, I think you presented a very well balanced account, reflecting all sides of each argument and allowing the reader to make up their own mind.

I am sure there have been behind the scenes shenanigans at many clubs through the years, certainly even at ours (Clough-Longson, Maxwell etc); yet they're even more in the public eye now than ever before. Even so, it's difficult to imagine such a long period of turmoil for one club to endure.

Like everyone else, I long for the days when all the talk is about the football. We had snippets of that under Mac1 and then Lampard, but the longest period we've had in recent history was the early years under Jim.

I hope we can get back to that fun and excitement - on the pitch - again soon.

Edited by IslandExile

On 01/01/2021 at 13:17, HuddersRam said:

Thank you @Shuff264! That's fantastic to hear, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

I'll be going live on TalkSport in an hour or so (absolutely no idea how this has happened) to talk all things Pride, in case anyone doesn't have anything to do and doesn't have a hangover too severe.

Listened to you on talksport and thought you came across very well 

Very well  done for writing the book I can't wait to read it,  ordering mine today 

On 05/01/2021 at 00:57, IslandExile said:

I have finally finished this excellent book. Congratulations @HuddersRam, you should feel very proud of yourself for capturing the turmoil of these past 20 odd years.

As I read it, I had in mind that phrase "never meet your heroes". And, though I'd heard stories about Nigel, Mel and others previously, I was still saddened to see them confirmed.

However, as others have previously said, I think you presented a very well balanced account, reflecting all sides of each argument and allowing the reader to make up their own mind.

I am sure there have been behind the scenes shenanigans at many clubs through the years, certainly even at ours (Clough-Longson, Maxwell etc); yet they're even more in the public eye now than ever before. Even so, it's difficult to imagine such a long period of turmoil for one club to endure.

Like everyone else, I long for the days when all the talk is about the football. We had snippets of that under Mac1 and then Lampard, but the longest period we've had in recent history was the early years under Jim.

I hope we can get back to that fun and excitement - on the pitch - again soon.

Thank you so much, @IslandExile. It was a long old route to get there but I've never enjoyed working on anything more, even if there weren't many high points to relive!

Yeah I will confess I went in with some of my own opinions on the likes of Nigel and was sad to see them confirmed by some of those he didn't get on with at all. Same goes the other way though, there were people I went into not a huge fan of who have completely changed my perception.

Here's to some more football and a little bit less mayhem.

And thank you @S8TY! I was a tad nervous but hopefully I didn't ramble on too much!

6 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

Thank you so much, @IslandExile. It was a long old route to get there but I've never enjoyed working on anything more, even if there weren't many high points to relive!

Yeah I will confess I went in with some of my own opinions on the likes of Nigel and was sad to see them confirmed by some of those he didn't get on with at all. Same goes the other way though, there were people I went into not a huge fan of who have completely changed my perception.

Here's to some more football and a little bit less mayhem.

And thank you @S8TY! I was a tad nervous but hopefully I didn't ramble on too much!

On the two highlighted points.....

Yeah, I was surprised that John Gregory came out of it quite well. Ditto Tom Glick.

You did not ramble at all; I am amazed that you managed to keep it so concise given the amount of material

17 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

On the two highlighted points.....

Yeah, I was surprised that John Gregory came out of it quite well. Ditto Tom Glick.

You did not ramble at all; I am amazed that you managed to keep it so concise given the amount of material

sorry, just realized you and @S8TY were talking about the Talksport interview. Missed that - please send a link. Ta

Edited by IslandExile

20 hours ago, The_Sheriff said:

Really enjoying it so far. Maybe a spoiler thread about it can be made so we can discuss the amazing inside stories of what went on in our precious club.

Thanks Sheriff, glad you're enjoying! Yeah I've toyed with the idea of it but didn't want to throw too much about the book on here for fear of spam. If people think it would be worth it though, I'd be happy to start one off.

And @IslandExile, my very brief cameo is here (about halfway through) https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1609506000/1609509600/

Hi Hudders

A great read. Could't put it down. Although almost all the events are still pretty clear in my memory, the background to them was quite a revelation (for the most part, anyway).

Interesting the different take on different managers by different players. The reactions to Clement and Pearson also surprised me.

Sam Winnall (excellent name), I'd forgotten all about him.

Great stuff!

7 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Hi Hudders

A great read. Could't put it down. Although almost all the events are still pretty clear in my memory, the background to them was quite a revelation (for the most part, anyway).

Interesting the different take on different managers by different players. The reactions to Clement and Pearson also surprised me.

Sam Winnall (excellent name), I'd forgotten all about him.

Great stuff!

Thanks @Phoenix, glad you enjoyed it mate! Yeah the Pearson reaction surprised me a lot. I thought some of them might have just been playing it safe in what they said to begin with, but the more I heard from, the better he seemed!

On 12/01/2021 at 20:09, Philmycock said:

Great read. Loved it.

Jim Wheeler seems a prat. Some bloke who's name he forgot. It's Greg Lake mate, prat.

Thanks mate! Haha, Jim was a star! Don't think he anticipated having to call the club into action again already, but here we are.

Big thank you to everyone who has left a review on Amazon or any other review suitable site. Almost at 150 reviews now, which has massively surpassed what I expected

I'll be blunt, I'm quite glad it was finished and published before the calamity of this season. Not only would it be a torturous affair, but it would probably be another 100 pages of despair.

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Absolutely brilliant book. Got it for Christmas and just finished it. Defo room for a sequel with all the current shenanigans. Chapter 2 must be Abu Derby County

Thank you @hintonsboots, glad you enjoyed it! Had a couple of recommendations so far: we've had Pride, but a follow up of Fall seems applicable right now.