Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

23 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm not normally an avid reader but read 80+ pages before I'd realised. Looking forward to the rest of it.

So good to hear that Wolfie! Let me know your thoughts when you reach the end.

Just in case it's of interest to anyone (and again, I'm very sorry for plugging) but there's a free sample of the first chapter available on the publisher website now: https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/pride

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Tell us a bit about how the book came to be. Did you pitch the idea to a publisher or what?

The publisher part actually came pretty much last to be honest. I had the idea late 2017 and from then on, spent two or so years just compiling interviews with anyone who I thought would have a story worth telling about the club that would add something to the narrative we all know already. So even deep into the writing of the book, I was getting responses from people like Harry Wilson and Craig Burley about being part of it. So from the original idea to the final sign off, it was around about 30 months or so in total.

In terms of the actual publisher side of things, I always felt there might be just about enough interest there because there had been nothing like it on the club before, and if it came down to it I would have looked into self publishing, but in January I pitched it to three different publishers and two of them, including Pitch Publishing (who were the ones I had in mind all the way along really) picked up on it. So then I spent the next six or seven months just finalising it, working with their team of designers and proofreaders to work out how the final book would look. But it actually worked really well because the proofreader Gareth is a former media man at the club and one of the designers is also a Derby fan as well, so there was involvement all the way along.

Was a bit odd because I'd never worked on a book before so the actual pitching process and the world of publishing was alien to me, purely because I just did this as a bit of 'fun' in my spare time! I think I put a thread on here maybe April last year sort of time mentioning it, but even then I wasn't fully convinced it would actually ever come to life.

Not quite, working for the Paralympics out in Deutschland is my bag at the moment.

Made the interview process a bit of a nightmare at times trying to sneak away for slightly longer lunches. Ended up chatting over Skype with Bryson in a museum, Ian Taylor in a car park, Keogh's agent by a train track. Incredibly exotic locations...

18 hours ago, IslandExile said:

There's more than enough material from the last couple of years for a follow up book surely.

And that's before the new owners step in.

It's a difficult one, mate. The book finished back at the start of this year so I managed to incorporate the crash and everything, full on avoided the EFL charge. We'll see how this new regime goes...

Love that, @mozza! Hope you enjoy the read. The one day a year you want to forget about DCFC though, I apologise in advance

10 hours ago, mozza said:

My lad who lives in Sheffield rang me to ask what i want for xmas..

Anyway, knock on the door at 7pm last night, grey packaging, not very Christmassy, but i look forward to opening it on xmas morning.. 

you have to pay extra for the gift wrap service mate.  It’s the thought that counts, I’m sure he thought of it.