Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

Just reached The Clough Years, @HuddersRam. Really enjoying so far.

If I could offer one bit of constructive criticism, it would be that you present a few arguments as facts when they could really be questioned.

For example, you state that Jake Buxton is a Derby legend. In my book, legend status is the highest honour and should be reserved for those who have given the club some of its greatest moments. You can’t have Buxton on the same footing as the likes of Hector and McFarland, or even Davison.

You might think differently, and that’s fine of course, but I don’t think stuff like that should be presented as though it can’t be questioned.

Other than that, I’m loving it!

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just reached The Clough Years, @HuddersRam. Really enjoying so far.

If I could offer one bit of constructive criticism, it would be that you present a few arguments as facts when they could really be questioned.

For example, you state that Jake Buxton is a Derby legend. In my book, legend status is the highest honour and should be reserved for those who have given the club some of its greatest moments. You can’t have Buxton on the same footing as the likes of Hector and McFarland, or even Davison.

You might think differently, and that’s fine of course, but I don’t think stuff like that should be presented as though it can’t be questioned.

Other than that, I’m loving it!

Glad you're enjoying it, mate. And that makes perfect sense yeah, I do have a knack of over egging at times, so can completely get what you mean by that. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate that.

And thanks too to those who have mentioned they got a copy yesterday! Hope you all enjoy it. It's managed to get back into the top 10 on Amazon somehow, which is insanity.

@angieram - I'll drop you a private message and sort you out with a copy ?

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

On 08/11/2020 at 19:17, HuddersRam said:

I don't have a clue to be honest mate. As it's through publisher, I don't imagine I'll know for a few months yet, although it seems to have gone down well so far which is the main part. Think they make a killing and I pick up any scraps!

Started reading yesterday and enjoying it .   When you asked for ex players a while ago as recommendations I suggested Rob Lee as someone who had a bit to say when he left and he features fair bit in the first part, so that might have helped . Glad if it did-or you might already have contacted him at that stage.  

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Started reading yesterday and enjoying it .   When you asked for ex players a while ago as recommendations I suggested Rob Lee as someone who had a bit to say when he left and he features fair bit in the first part, so that might have helped . Glad if it did-or you might already have contacted him at that stage.  

Yeah that was entirely from your recommendation! Rob was great to be honest - him and Craig Burley were intriguing to speak with.

@mozza - a signed one will definitely decrease the resale value over time ? I had a few signed ones to giveaway over Christmas from Bryson and a few others - if there's enough interest, I'll ask a few players to do it again

Started this today. First chapter about the end of the BBG and that "five miles" away Pride Park was ready to welcome its "tenants".

Its not five miles between the stadiums, a mile in a straight line, no more than a couple of miles by car surely. 

Were we tenants? We owned/own it, even if we've never paid the bleeding mortgage off...

Other than that, a good read so far. 

35 minutes ago, DenbyRam said:

Started this today. First chapter about the end of the BBG and that "five miles" away Pride Park was ready to welcome its "tenants".

Its not five miles between the stadiums, a mile in a straight line, no more than a couple of miles by car surely. 

Were we tenants? We owned/own it, even if we've never paid the bleeding mortgage off...

Other than that, a good read so far. 

Should have said 'five miles if you take a two mile detour'... Probably. Glad you're enjoying it so far though!

Edited by HuddersRam

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@HuddersRam, I was astounded and depressed by the stat that said, if McClaren had been there from the start of the 13/14 season, and if we’d maintained our PPG during that period, we’d have finished on 108 points.

Of course, it’s a huge ‘if’, but it goes to show how good we really were.

Madness isn't it. Easy to forget just how good we were for 35 games or so. What could have been...

Finished the book earlier today, much to the delight of my other half who has felt neglected as I immersed myself into it(the book that is). Really enjoyed it and as you say @HuddersRam in the last chapter, there is enough material in the last 12 months to fill another book or even a film. Knowing Derby as we all do, something tells me that there is more to come too. I'd suggest you start work on the sequel before someone beats you to it. 

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Finished the book earlier today, much to the delight of my other half who has felt neglected as I immersed myself into it(the book that is). Really enjoyed it and as you say @HuddersRam in the last chapter, there is enough material in the last 12 months to fill another book or even a film. Knowing Derby as we all do, something tells me that there is more to come too. I'd suggest you start work on the sequel before someone beats you to it. 

Fancied a bit of a break, with the hope we'd have calmed down since signing off on it. Fear I might be a bit mistaken on that!

Glad you enjoyed it @Steve How Hard?.

Finished this today and I really enjoyed it @HuddersRam.  It’s the first book I’ve read that’s written about a period I’ve been “part of”, the others being about the 70’s glory years and just before I started supporting The Rams.  I could relate to the games, the players, the memories - good and bad.  It made me realise how much has happened in the last 20 years.  So much so that some of the chapters could be books in their own right!!

22 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Finished this today and I really enjoyed it @HuddersRam.  It’s the first book I’ve read that’s written about a period I’ve been “part of”, the others being about the 70’s glory years and just before I started supporting The Rams.  I could relate to the games, the players, the memories - good and bad.  It made me realise how much has happened in the last 20 years.  So much so that some of the chapters could be books in their own right!!

Great to hear, @FlyBritishMidland! Yeah my first word count from the publishers was 90k. Quickly realised that was way, way below what was needed. In the end, the book could have been half the size! Glad you enjoyed it mate.

And a huge thank you to everyone who has got a copy of the book or just expressed any interest in it. It's been absolutely mental these past few weeks as the book went up to 2nd in the Amazon football charts, which is about 1000 places higher than I ever hoped for. Don't ask what Roald Dahl is doing in the football charts (no idea either). Up the Rams. ?Roald.thumb.PNG.3ca32479568bdc5ec4a80dcb3f87c8fa.PNG