Cocu in!

DCFC27

This is getting ridiculous now, the performances aren’t good enough but why on earth would anyone consider sacking him after he’s brought 7 new players in this season?

1) Why are people happy with his signings but don’t want to give him time to bed them in?! The squad is completely different to the one we had 12 months ago...

2) We are 3 games in... 3! Jesus Mary and Joseph give the guy until at least the back end of November before we call for his head. I bet everyone slating him on here are the same flip flop supporters that thought he was fantastic after January but wanted him sacked this time last year. 

He’s not a 1 season wonder manager, he’s a manager with a plan for the club as a whole, with a process to embed and philosophy to build, it might be a painful couple of seasons but where has going through managers like we have done got us in the past. Even if he doesn’t get us up himself, at least with Cocu he will leave the club better than he found it and the next manager might have a better chance. Nigel Clough springs to mind. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

This is getting ridiculous now, the performances aren’t good enough but why on earth would anyone consider sacking him after he’s brought 7 new players in this season?

1) Why are people happy with his signings but don’t want to give him time to bed them in?! The squad is completely different to the one we had 12 months ago...

2) We are 3 games in... 3! Jesus Mary and Joseph give the guy until at least the back end of November before we call for his head. I bet everyone slating him on here are the same flip flop supporters that thought he was fantastic after January but wanted him sacked this time last year. 

He’s not a 1 season wonder manager, he’s a manager with a plan for the club as a whole, with a process to embed and philosophy to build, it might be a painful couple of seasons but where has going through managers like we have done got us in the past. Even if he doesn’t get us up himself, at least with Cocu he will leave the club better than he found it and the next manager might have a better chance. Nigel Clough springs to mind. 

I did a similar Cocu in post on Sunday.

Trust me, I am far from happy with his tactics, his substitutions, his football.

But I want to make sure if/when we do make the call, we can say he has been given a fair crack of the whip and had the players to succeed.

I appreciate it may be too late by then so I wouldn't blame Mel (or the fans), for wanting change.

But, for me, I want to see Cocu when we have Waghorn, Bielik, New Striker, Lawrence, New Left back and if possible at least 1 extra new midfielder. 

Then we get to see what Cocu is made of.

6 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I think a lot of people are looking at it and saying we're 49 games in (plus cups)

I've written off the 19/20 season as not really being a thing - So I see this as a fresh start - That said the fresh start hasn't been all that promising so far

I'm pro-Cocu btw - But I understand where people are coming from who aren't

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are you his PR agent perchance. Whatever you've alluded to in your post isn't translating into reality so I take it all with a pinch of salt. And as soon as you mention Nigel Clough as the next manager then it removes any semblance of credence whatsoever from your post. 

He didnt mean Nigel Clough as next manager but that Cocu would leave the club as a whole in a better place than he inherited like Nigel did. At least I hope that's what he meant!

Personally I think since Mac 1 and that wonderful season where we was unfortunate to lose to QPR , our fans as a collective have expected/demanded success. That season everything had aligned , we had the players , we had the style of play.

Since then we have sacked that very manager not once but twice , as well as loads of others.

During that time we have wasted money on players who were either any of the following 

1. Played out of position
  2. Signed after a purple patch
  3. Signed and had decent performances but unfortunately the fee we paid was far too high

Now since that playoff final we have made the playoffs a few times , but we have done so either by signing players for the short term ( Huddlestone , Davies etc ) , or by loaning players who we had no chance of signing afterwards ( Mount , Tomori ).

What we need is a long term manager , one that is willing to stick with the club even if there are hard times ( Even those of you who are Cocu out must admit he had a horrific hand last season and the embargo didnt help recruitment at the start of this window).

Cocu is laying the groundwork , signing players who will either do one of the following

1. Cheap signing to plug a hole at decent value ( Byrne , Marshall )
  2. Young signing who can improve and help the team and be sold for significantly more than we signed them for ( Bielik , Joswiak)

He is also bringing through the youth into the first team fold , obviously players like knight and bird had been spotted before , but both have become first team regulars now , who would have thought bird would be a first team regular who looks so assured after Villa away under Lampard ?

It's his management and integration of these youth players that is so good , everyone knew sibley would be a star but personally i think he has had his game time limited last season to ensure he was ready.

In short , yes the performances are not great at the moment by any account. But we need stability at this club , cocu has been proven previously at a club who has a great academy ( like we do ) that if given time he can get great results. If its still this bad come christmas once all the players are back from injury and the last couple of signings have come in , then fair enough but the amount of knee jerking going off at the moment is the very reason why we are in the mess we are at the moment although before it was the owner and not the fans doing the knee jerking.

Cocu well and truly IN!

30 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Can we sign Jesus, Mary and Joseph please then god must be on our side...

Don't be so sure. He did the dirty on Joseph when he got his wife up the duff. He never paid any CSA to Mary or took the kid to McDonald's on weekends with all the other dads. And we all know what happened to Jesus in the end. 

10 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

It's his management and integration of these youth players that is so good , everyone knew sibley would be a star but personally i think he has had his game time limited last season to ensure he was ready.

it is a point but is he playing them because he has no choice?  I actually don't think it is good thing exposing the youngsters to this experience.  I want them to be winners not guys turning up on matchday with hope already extinguished.  They don't look happy their performances are dropping off.  Are we in the process of systematically destroying our future hope?

11 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Don't be so sure. He did the dirty on Joseph when he got his wife up the duff. He never paid any CSA to Mary or took the kid to McDonald's on weekends with all the other dads. And we all know what happened to Jesus in the end. 

well they would fit in as we have no idea how to handle crosses

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

it is a point but is he playing them because he has no choice?  I actually don't think it is good thing exposing the youngsters to this experience.  I want them to be winners not guys turning up on matchday with hope already extinguished.  They don't look happy their performances are dropping off.  Are we in the process of systematically destroying our future hope?

Possibly , but you could also say that experiancing losing is also an important part of growth , and it is digging ourselves out of this situation that could be the making of them. Two ways of looking at it ? 

2 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Possibly , but you could also say that experiancing losing is also an important part of growth , and it is digging ourselves out of this situation that could be the making of them. Two ways of looking at it ? 

experiencing an occasional win would be better?

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

I'm getting p******d off with it as well, for once you can see what a manger is building, the signings do not seem random but with a purpose.  He is doing this with also bringing through youngsters, getting rid of the high earners and a load of injuries to key players, drink drive incidents, transfer embargos......shall I go on. things will improve, a striker will come , the new players and the injured will fit into the team and adapt to what he wants. we will be in and around the top 6......too many Lemmings on this site. Back Cocu and the Rams    

Football is a results business and Cocu is looking down the barrel with one of the hardest months of football we've ever had in this division after the worst start to a season in 28 years. Reading, Luton and Blackburn was a generous start. Now we've got the 3 relegated teams and 2 failed play-off sides in our next six games. 

If he's going to get himself out of this situation then he's going to have to do it the hard way. Another month like we've just had and we could be two months into the season without a win and cut away at the bottom of the league. It would obviously lead to very difficult questions and possibly a sacking. The questions are already being asked. 

Regardless of how the next month transpires, I'm absolutely positive that Cocu will be remembered fondly by the majority of fans, perhaps as the man that put the wheels in motion to a better future. I'm just not sure whether he will be the man that will get to see that through. I truly believe the club is in a healthy position and the players at the club are good enough to mount a promotion challenge, albeit a few injuries and an incredibly sluggish start seems to suggest otherwise. 

46 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Now since that playoff final we have made the playoffs a few times , but we have done so either by signing players for the short term ( Huddlestone , Davies etc ) , or by loaning players who we had no chance of signing afterwards ( Mount , Tomori ).

What we need is a long term manager , one that is willing to stick with the club even if there are hard times ( Even those of you who are Cocu out must admit he had a horrific hand last season and the embargo didnt help recruitment at the start of this window).

Sorry the second para doesn't follow on from the first. If anything it means Cocu needs to change his style! ?

There's been a couple of times in the last 10 years where we really had a chance of promotion, the mac1 season obviously and the Lampard season. The loans we had that season were such a boost Lampard should've done better. 

Every other season has been some sort of transition. I'm not happy with how we're playing and I can see Cocu could get the sack in the next few weeks if we don't pick up but I just think, we have to let him see the new signings come in and the injured players come back. 

We were forced to do our transfers after selling players so we'd lost a couple before we could buy anyone really. 

It's going to be tough but we need to grit our teeth and see what happens the other side of this difficult period. I genuinely think we are going to be much better once everyone is firing on all cylinders ?

52 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

In short , yes the performances are not great at the moment by any account. But we need stability at this club , cocu has been proven previously at a club who has a great academy ( like we do ) that if given time he can get great results. If its still this bad come christmas once all the players are back from injury and the last couple of signings have come in , then fair enough but the amount of knee jerking going off at the moment is the very reason why we are in the mess we are at the moment although before it was the owner and not the fans doing the knee jerking.

Yeh the knee jerking is a bit OTT at the moment

Also worth remembering that this is a manager who stuck with us through last season - Having to start his pre-season late because the previous manager was more interested in holiday / negotiating his new contract than giving us time with our new manager, Players drink-driving because of a 'lads/mates' culture which seems to have been the previous managers way of working, Losing the Captain to his own stupid mistake, Mostly no money to spend, Requirement to cut players, a hodge-podge team of 5 previous managers signings, pressure from a previous season of over-achievement fuelled by loans, an EFL investigation hanging over us, every team in the league seemingly out for our blood and a transfer embargo which affected 2 transfer windows

It hasn't been a great start but last season Cocu put up with a lot from our club, board and players - Time to repay the patience he's shown the club with a bit of patience for him

Archived