Clarke and the 'rhythm of how we play'?

RoyMac5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I thought he had a 'slight' injury also. Makes you laugh tbh, but in a kinda hanging from a noose kind of way!

Perhaps Cocu had a fall out with Clarke and was being polite or indeed that is strange but sometimes everything is not as it seems and Cocu did say that "perhaps it was not the best decision considering we just lost 4-0"

It did look like he had a fallout with Rosenior in the Luton game and i noticed he was missing in training pics this week and didn't see him in the rams tv coverage today but perhaps he was there....I'm not quite sure either what Rosenior has added

4 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Perhaps Cocu had a fall out with Clarke and was being polite or indeed that is strange but sometimes everything is not as it seems and Cocu did say that "perhaps it was not the best decision considering we just lost 4-0"

It did look like he had a fallout with Rosenior in the Luton game and i noticed he was missing in training pics this week and didn't see him in the rams tv coverage today but perhaps he was there....I'm not quite sure either what Rosenior has added

Rosenior is the only one there who I think gets this league.

I'm curious in how Clarke doesn't get how we play. From CB this season he has done the same things as last season. And there's nothing about this season from anyone else that looks any different?

I don't know much about Armstrong but I would rather we pick our best 11 in the best system we can. What is it that Armstrong does that means Clarke can't play? Can Clarke not be briefed on Armstrong? 

Weird, man. 

Still, it's more than team selection that's our problem. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm curious in how Clarke doesn't get how we play. From CB this season he has done the same things as last season. And there's nothing about this season from anyone else that looks any different?

I don't know much about Armstrong but I would rather we pick our best 11 in the best system we can. What is it that Armstrong does that means Clarke can't play? Can Clarke not be briefed on Armstrong? 

Weird, man. 

Still, it's more than team selection that's our problem. 

I've been on Cocu's side so far but this is defo a weird one....can't understand it unless he's not telling us everything 

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Some more legs ?

I honestly think this is a huge worry, I thought maybe Clarke had a knock, never in a million years did I think he actually chose to leave out our most competent and probably 1 of 2 championship standard centre backs we have in our ranks, out of the team.

Actually, where has Curtis gone, injured? Released? I completely forgot he existed. Then, I suppose he is another who cannot play to Cocus free flowing football.

This ^

as u say one of two centre backs that might be championship quality 

when uv got a manger making tactical decisions like this and getting them So spectacularly wrong 

you’ve got to ask serous questions over his judgment 

This  getting it wrong isn’t an isolated Incident 

how many time’s has he had to change it up at half time Cos we’ve been totally outplayed or a couple of gaols down by half time 

I think this decision underpins where the approach is wrong at the minute. Clarke is fundamentally tasked with keeping the ball out of our net. Of course in this side he has to be able to play also but he's no Curtis Davies...he is clearly comfortable on the ball & capable of stepping into midfield. Don't understand the 'rhythm' comment at all.

Given our current weak attack & pedestrian midfield, the focus needs to be on keeping a clean sheet at all costs & that means playing our best CB. After all, the presence of Te Wierik and Wisdom contributed no more to our build play than usual & also highly doubt Clarke would have managed Armstrong any worse than they did.

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

I also noticed this. Seemed to be having a very animated discussion during the second half as I recall & remember wondering what was going on.

Rosenior knows this division inside out & often makes sensible & occasionally pragmatic calls whilst analysing games on Sky. Maybe that has clashed with Cocu's more idealistic approach. I hope not because we need that insight around the club.

11 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Ive just posted on another thread i think he's our best defender defensively. Curtis is experianced & can organise a defence. Just because he can't play out from the back he has been dropped. Start by getting defenders to defend.

MTW looks weak. We haven't seen enough of him but from what i have seen im not that impressed. 

Clarke is our most competent defender. Id honestly let him start & partner either Davies or Wisdom. We need to let a defensive partnership be formed & understanding rather than constantly changing 

Thought Wisdom was the weak link yesterday. Complete fish out of water at left sided centre half. Can't head; didn't block; kept giving the ball away. As soon as I saw that team sheet, I thought WTF? However, Sibley and Marriott equally culpable. Absolutely no closing down when we didn't have the ball. Shane hit the nail on the head in commentary; words to the effect that we were decent with the ball, but shocking without it. Not given up hope yet, but we need some kind of mental shake up. We need to leave Rooney out once Bielik is fit and somebody (don't know who) needs to be in charge of on-field roasting of players who don't do their jobs.

Leaving Clarke out was a mystery.

Wisdom just isn’t a good enough centre back at this level. I’d argue he’s ordinary at right back too. 

Mike To Work I’d been very underwhelmed with pre-season but prepared to give him time to adjust/adapt but on evidence so far it is very concerning. He just doesn’t look difficult to play against.

it’s a real area of concern as we are soft at Centre Half. 

Talk of a Left Back (and we need Forwards) but this addressing. 

Mobility/Movement/Closing Down in central midfield is also a concern. 

Many more questions than answers for Cocu and time for him is running out as ultimately is about results. 

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the terrace 

Trying to just stick to the point at hand about rhythm of play, I kind of agree with Cocu.

I've comment numerous times already this season about Clarke bringing the ball 10 yards forward really slowly, just to turn around and pass it 20 yards back.

Of course this isnt necessarily his fault if there are no options ahead of him but I do think he is definitely one of the main culprits for safety first passing.

Just to be clear, I am only commenting on that point, I think dropping him was wrong.

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course this isnt necessarily his fault if there are no options ahead of him but I do think he is definitely one of the main culprits for safety first passing.

Answered your own question. Seriously we're thinking of blaming one (or two) of our better players rather than question how they are played?!!!

Trying to play devils advocate, maybe Cocu’s thinking was Clarke slows the tempo of the passing game he wants.

Referring to Armstrong then Blackburn don’t play with a big target man as such so didn’t need as much aerial dominance and wanted additional pace and positional awareness (Clarke’s weakness). 

Other than personal differences / disagreements, which is unlikely as I’m sure he wouldn’t have even made the bench then I’m mystified at the decision, especially when you can only select what he did. 

The pairing he sent out isn’t/ wasn’t good enough. 

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

Archived