Luton's second goal

Uptherams

13 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Dawes tells us each match we use a zonal marking defensive system.Should players track their man?The players don’t seem to know what to do.Thats Cocu and his staffs fault.

Not really, again it’s a common sense issue.

if Clarke sees his position or zone is occupied by a player who has tracked a runner then the obvious decision is to cover the position or zone that player vacated until he can return to his zone when the danger has passed

Or are you suggesting Cocu tells the players to rigidly stick to their zones?

If so why did Clarke find himself out on the left when it’s not his zone?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I think you’re over complicating it to be honest. It all comes down to very basic defending. We don’t close wingers down quickly enough to stop the cross, and we’re extremely disorganised when the ball comes in, often leaving players with free headers. It really shouldn’t be something that defenders of the quality we have struggle with, but for whatever reason, time and time again we make these basic errors and concede a frankly ridiculous amount of goals from balls into our box. It’s really beyond a joke now.

Questions have to be asked of the coaching team as to why this still hasn’t been improved, given it’s been an issue pretty much since day 1 of Cocu’s reign. There’s no excuse of having poor personnel, most championship teams would be delighted to have our backline. This lack of organisation is not acceptable, doesn’t matter what your forwards do, you won’t win football matches if you concede from every cross hit towards your box.

You'd got me at the end of the first sentence. 

And then you over-complicated it! ?

For me our defensive frailties stem from our attacking frailties. Firstly we have no outball. Defenders and midfielders are looking to pass forwards and there are no options available to them much of the time. This invites the high press.

Secondly, we have (until yesterday) no one who is willing to take a man on, apart from Sibley. He's being so tightly marked for this very same reason, other attacking options aren't available. With Joswiak, and hopefully Ibe and a striker, Sibley becomes more of a threat. The opposition fullbacks also have to think of their prime function, which is defending and not acting as second wingers. 
Once the opposition realise that they have to defend as well as attack we should see an improvement in the goals against column.

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

For me our defensive frailties stem from our attacking frailties. Firstly we have no outball. Defenders and midfielders are looking to pass forwards and there are no options available to them much of the time. This invites the high press.

Secondly, we have (until yesterday) no one who is willing to take a man on, apart from Sibley. He's being so tightly marked for this very same reason, other attacking options aren't available. With Joswiak, and hopefully Ibe and a striker, Sibley becomes more of a threat. The opposition fullbacks also have to think of their prime function, which is defending and not acting as second wingers. 
Once the opposition realise that they have to defend as well as attack we should see an improvement in the goals against column.

I agree with the points but they are completely separate to the defensive issues I highlighted. You've actually demonstrated you have some knowledge. Can't say much for the rest of the fans on this forum. Many haven't got a clue. 

I think Cocu said something in his interview that he was screaming "back post" from the touchline as the move was developing. Also, that he found it unacceptable that there were three defenders in the middle of the goal marking no-one.

Something like that.

Clarke and Forsyth are experienced defenders, they have to take the responsibility. I was also hoping Marshall, an experienced international goalkeeper, would play a role in keeping the defence organized.

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I think Cocu said something in his interview that he was screaming "back post" from the touchline as the move was developing. Also, that he found it unacceptable that there were three defenders in the middle of the goal marking no-one.

Something like that.

Clarke and Forsyth are experienced defenders, they have to take the responsibility. I was also hoping Marshall, an experienced international goalkeeper, would play a role in keeping the defence organized.

Must really do your nut if you can see an obvious problem develop and you're incapable of getting the warnings across to those less able to see.

How dense and unresponsive is our defence ?

9 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Something like that.

He doesn't scream very loud, does he? We could hear Nathan Jones all match but I never picked up Cocu. 

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

Short of another defender in the box. Just get more men back.

Sorry if that's meant as ironic but we had 7v2 in the box for the second goal. 

Shame is, they were all asleep. 

We don't have a leader in our defence. Time for at least one to put their hand up and start organising back there. 

The defence should be a team in itself, determined to shut out the opposition. 

22 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Sorry if that's meant as ironic but we had 7v2 in the box for the second goal. 

Shame is, they were all asleep. 

We don't have a leader in our defence. Time for at least one to put their hand up and start organising back there. 

The defence should be a team in itself, determined to shut out the opposition. 

Absence of Keogh seems glaring at times. Always a top performance in Keogh. COYR

1 hour ago, angieram said:

He doesn't scream very loud, does he? We could hear Nathan Jones all match but I never picked up Cocu. 

I have no idea how loudly Cocu shouts but what we hear from telly has more to do how microphones are positioned. 

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

I have no idea how loudly Cocu shouts but what we hear from telly has more to do how microphones are positioned. 

I know that but the technical areas are very close together. If Cocu is expecting his defence to hear him, you'd think a pitchside mike nearby would be picking it up. 

14 hours ago, Uptherams said:

I agree with the points but they are completely separate to the defensive issues I highlighted. You've actually demonstrated you have some knowledge. Can't say much for the rest of the fans on this forum. Many haven't got a clue. 

You should put them all on ignore.

The 4231 leaves the full backs exposed without midfield cover.

for Luton’s first goal, the ball is delivered from that undefended pocket of space in front of the full back. 
for the second, again there is no wide midfielder dropping back - not helped by the fact we were down to ten men. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I know that but the technical areas are very close together. If Cocu is expecting his defence to hear him, you'd think a pitchside mike nearby would be picking it up. 

Not necessarily. Usually it is between the dugouts and so there's a possiblity only one of managers are close to it. Or both. Or he might be close to bench or as far from the mike as possible to be closer to our goal. Multiple possibilities!

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Something like that.

Did he also say "something in Dutch"?

Archived