Luton's second goal

Uptherams

20 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The problem with our defending is our lack of attacking.

I don’t care how many we concede if we can score more than them!

I appreciate that is over simplified but it’s basically our problem.

Agree and Cocu's caution means this doesn't look like changing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I think Cocu said something in his interview that he was screaming "back post" from the touchline as the move was developing. Also, that he found it unacceptable that there were three defenders in the middle of the goal marking no-one.

Something like that.

Clarke and Forsyth are experienced defenders, they have to take the responsibility. I was also hoping Marshall, an experienced international goalkeeper, would play a role in keeping the defence organized.

54 minutes ago, angieram said:

He doesn't scream very loud, does he? We could hear Nathan Jones all match but I never picked up Cocu. 

back post?  Which back post?  At what part of the move did he 'scream'?

Move started on their right.

It's this sort of rubbish that makes me worry

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Trouble is, they took him too literally and stood right next to the back post. 

The player was on the corner of the six yard box! 

57 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I didn't quote him verbatim. Unless, of course, that's what worries you - inaccurate quotations. Fair enough. Watch the interview.

Besides, the backpost is the opposite post from which the cross came - from either side.

What troubles me is the number of people on here looking to find fault with everything.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I didn't quote him verbatim. Unless, of course, that's what worries you - inaccurate quotations. Fair enough. Watch the interview.

Besides, the backpost is the opposite post from which the cross came - from either side.

What troubles me is the number of people on here looking to find fault with everything.

Quote:

"The goal is nothing to do with it (not being allowed to make the substitution). I’m shouting from the bench, ‘Second post’. We had three defenders against one, that just cannot happen."

Source:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-dont-it-every-word-4532287

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I didn't quote him verbatim. Unless, of course, that's what worries you - inaccurate quotations. 

And this comment is what troubles me as well. That's another inference that everyone who has the temerity to criticise anything on the pitch is therefore by implication a fanatical Cocu out advocate.

No football manager is beyond criticism at any club Cocu included. If you don't agree with the criticism then go back and debate it with the poster and have a coherent argument but to stereotype everyone who has the audacity to post subject matter which doesn't fit into your narrative is just as equally biased and skewed. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

And this comment is what troubles me as well. That's another inference that everyone who has the temerity to criticise anything on the pitch is therefore by implication a fanatical Cocu out advocate.

No football manager is beyond criticism at any club Cocu included. If you don't agree with the criticism then go back and debate it with the poster and have a coherent argument but to stereotype everyone who has the audacity to post subject matter which doesn't fit into your narrative is just as equally biased and skewed. 

OK, I accept that I should not have generalised.

However, if you go back and read the comments. The poster was criticising what was happening on the pitch, specifically Cocu's coaching, on the basis of my misquote. That is why I subsequently posted the full quote - albeit through the third party of the DET. Cocu was being criticised for something I had misquoted.

Perhaps, as pointed out elsewhere, those of us who are pro-Cocu are feeling the weight of many "criticisms" at the moment are going a little overboard and, perhaps, we are over-reacting in the face of the barrage of "I'm not saying Cocu out or anything but he's doing this wrong, that wrong, the other wrong".

Moreover, shouldn't you "free to criticise" advocates be also willing to accept criticism yourselves? Works two ways.

I don't like the way that Forsyth chased across the goal, it is quite possible that Clarke was having a sleepy moment. As much as the coaching staff try to drum into players heads about these issues, the players will not be thinking "now what did the boss say to do" as the ball comes over. It is all about repetition, working together consistently and trusting in each other. Our defensive players should have the intelligence to not chase the ball, particularly one as experienced as Forsyth.

Most dead ball movement around the goal is about creating space and the hardest thing for a defensive player to do is to stand relativity still. It showed a  complete lack of awareness by Forsyth he clearly hadn't got a clue about the danger from his position. 

These things will be pointed out in the video review and taken on board (we hope). 

38 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Quote:

"The goal is nothing to do with it (not being allowed to make the substitution). I’m shouting from the bench, ‘Second post’. We had three defenders against one, that just cannot happen."

Source:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-dont-it-every-word-4532287

sorry but you have quoted "back post" .  I am not having a dig at you but if you quote something I am going to take your word for it.  Back post made some sense but shouting "second post" WTF it makes even less sense.  I am not looking to find fault with everything but trying to find something to believe that he can get us back to mid table football would be comforting.  I want him to succeed why wouldn't I?

On 20/09/2020 at 10:32, Uptherams said:

Defensively we need to deal with the second ball. If it is played long, or crossed, we are completely unorganized when it comes to winning the second ball. 

I agree that it's about organisation - But I think the direction or your ire is wrong - The players as a defensive unit need to be getting themselves organised on the pitch and (this is the big one) being ready for the second ball

"No plan survives first contact" - It's as apt in football as in war - The manager and coaches can drill them over and over on getting their positioning right, defending as a unit etc - And they seem to (mostly) do that the first time round - The problem is you then rely on the players to re-orient themselves for a second attempt - What you need then is either a) all the players knowing their place and exactly where to be after the re-shuffle or b) a leader in the back line to tell them

On 20/09/2020 at 10:45, Uptherams said:

First goal, cross not blocked. Positioning of CB's is awful. Both CB's starting position should be goal side. In front of their men. They don't even have to win the header.

Okay now here's a great example - This is simple - This is football basics and something every coach everywhere tells players - If they're not doing this then it's entirely on the players

24 minutes ago, Spanish said:

sorry but you have quoted "back post" .  I am not having a dig at you but if you quote something I am going to take your word for it.  Back post made some sense but shouting "second post" WTF it makes even less sense.  I am not looking to find fault with everything but trying to find something to believe that he can get us back to mid table football would be comforting.  I want him to succeed why wouldn't I?

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more precise in my quotation. I did say "Something like that." but that's no excuse. Apologies.

On 20/09/2020 at 12:02, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The problem with our defending is our lack of attacking.

I don’t care how many we concede if we can score more than them!

I appreciate that is over simplified but it’s basically our problem.

True! 

Our problem isn’t the defence at the minute, it’s the lack of attacking threat every time the ball goes forward it comes back and the more that happens the the more we’ll concede. Until we get a target man and another winger, we’ll look bad defensively. 
I think we have a really good defence this year but if we if we don’t get up the pitch and put the opposite team under pressure then eventually we’ll get broken down by the opposition. Even Rowett couldn’t get a clean sheet out of us without having the forward player in to get us out of our half. 

23 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more precise in my quotation. I did say "Something like that." but that's no excuse. Apologies.

accepted without a question, no need to apologize really but appreciated.  There is small minority of cocu out people but I think a lot of what looks like criticism is people like me searching for answers.  For my perspective it isn't even worth contemplating him going for the disruption and financial costs.  

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

accepted without a question, no need to apologize really but appreciated.  There is small minority of cocu out people but I think a lot of what looks like criticism is people like me searching for answers.  For my perspective it isn't even worth contemplating him going for the disruption and financial costs.  

Cheers. I think I react sometimes because there is a lot of criticism of Cocu at the moment. Even myself would like to see more up tempo football, like we saw in the second half at Luton, but on a much more consistent basis.

However, I think any criticism has to do two things:

1. Put it in the context of where we are coming from.

2. Acknowledge that such a massive rebuild - as is needed - isn't going to happen overnight.

I am confident that Cocu is building for longer term, sustainable success - we just have to be patient. That's not easy.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

It’s the first time I’ve heard “second post”, but it quite clearly refers to the back post... the second closest post. Maybe the Dutch call the posts first and second, whereas we usually refer to them as front/near post and back/far post.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It’s the first time I’ve heard “second post”, but it quite clearly refers to the back post... the second closest post. Maybe the Dutch call the posts first and second, whereas we usually refer to them as front/near post and back/far post.

the context was that during the heat of a game the manager is screaming second post.  No wonder the defence was concentrated in middle!?

15 minutes ago, Spanish said:

the context was that during the heat of a game the manager is screaming second post.  No wonder the defence was concentrated in middle!?

I'd like to think he used the same term that they use in training.

But between Marshall, Clarke and Forsyth - all very experienced - you would hope that they could organize themselves in such situations.

Archived