Luton's second goal

Uptherams

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

You're assuming it was supposed to be an instructional shout to the players rather than one of frustration at the players not doing what they've been told, shown and practiced in training every day.

yes i suppose the claim that he shouted it led me to that conclusion but maybe it was just an outburst of frustration.  Still don't know why more has not be made of the restart which put us on the back foot and we never recovered

On 20/09/2020 at 10:32, Uptherams said:

The league is scrappy. Lot's of goals come from punted long balls and inside the box. It's about the fight and willingness of players over their ability. You will rarely find a player 30 yards outside of your box, looking to take on the CB and or shoot and when they do it's easily blocked, shocking, comfortable save for the keeper.

I feel as though the manager still doesn't get this. He's set us up to prevent this from happening, when it just doesn't happen in this league. He's setting our defender's up to deal with the kind of world class players he faced as a player. 

Defensively we need to deal with the second ball. If it is played long, or crossed, we are completely unorganized when it comes to winning the second ball. 

Crosses should be prevented at almost all cost. Doesn't matter if the ball leads to a man 25 yards in front of goal. Priority is to stop the cross. Again, the kind of players in this league are not who the manager played against or alongside. They will almost never smash one into the top corner. 

He also needs to fix the positioning of players when they are in the box ready to defend. The second goal yesterday Luton had two men in the box, we had like 7. It's all well and good blaming the one player, but the whole lot of them were at fault, including the keeper. 

Just watching the second goal back now. Build up long ball, Clarke wins the header, we don't win the second ball. Makes it way across the pitch, they shoot and it's blocked. We don't win the second ball. The ball is crossed. We have 4 players between the man crossing the ball and the only player in the middle challenging. Why? At most it should be a player trying to block Cross, player 1/3 into the goal covering the front post and middle and player in the middle. The ball makes its way to the back post. The deepest player we have is in the middle of the goal. 

We defend too narrow sometimes.

On 20/09/2020 at 12:02, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The problem with our defending is our lack of attacking.

I don’t care how many we concede if we can score more than them!

I appreciate that is over simplified but it’s basically our problem.

Not over simplified at all mate! We haven't been providing out balls as we've not really had runners, but we've not been retaining the ball well enough either. If it's us that now starts bombing forward down the flanks (the required personnal are arriving) then the other mob won't be. It's not rocket science and I agree with you completely FWIW.

Archived