Morgan Whittaker

Bubbles

For some reason, it seems A LOT of Derby County fans don't rate him, and to be honest, I can't see why they don't?

For me, since the start of the season (I know it's only been two games) but he's been hardworking and actually improving a lot from the backend of last season.

Why don't people rate him, I'd love to actually understand it, is it because they expect the quick impact Sibley had when he came in? or what? because he was one of a minimal amount of players against Reading who worked v hard and for me he was our MOTM in that game, and I also thought he was decent against Preston.

This isn't a dig at anyone by the way, I'm just confused to be honest.

Cheers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people can see potential in him. However they also see the amount of time he loses possession.

I think he is in a similar position to Conor Doyle (not comparing them in terms of ability) in that they have both played first team games when they weren't quite ready, in a variety of positions and in a struggling team. I do wonder if fans were in the ground watching these games if he would be getting the same awful abuse that Doyle got.

I hope the incoming and returning players will buy him some time to drop to the bench or even back to the u23s to gain some confidence and strength.    

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think he had decent game also unlucky not to score last couple of games. I think why people dont seem to rate him is because he does not to run at defanders very often 

I see where you're coming from with that B4, but lets be honest. Most of our players don't run at defenders very often.

Just now, sage said:

I think people can see potential in him. However they also see the amount of time he loses possession.

I think he is in a similar position to Conor Doyle (not comparing them in terms of ability) in that they have both played first team games when they weren't quite ready, in a variety of positions and in a struggling team. I do wonder if fans were in the ground watching these games if he would be getting the same awful abuse that Doyle got.

I hope the incoming and returning players will buy him some time to drop to the bench or even back to the u23s to gain some confidence and strength.    

I think with Whitts he's ready for the first team though, and this experience is going to be so valuable in his progression. I don't believe he belongs back in the u23's, once we bring in a new winger i believe that Morgan is a more than capable back up player. 

Relating to what you said about fans in the ground, I agree. Which is why I think giving youngsters a chance in an empty stadium is a great idea! ? 

1 minute ago, Bubbles said:

I see where you're coming from with that B4, but lets be honest. Most of our players don't run at defenders very often.

People understand with older players there not always going to gut bustering runs so when players like whitter people expect him to do this. Selby got off good all this and caught teams out and scored goals.

He doesn't look a natural winger to me, when he has the ball I don't expect anything from the attack and he doesn't seem to have the pace  or strength to get past players and he is gangly so doesnt seem a natural dribbler with good balance. 

Certain players take time to adapt to first team football, but he hasn't done anything to make me think what a player or he's got alot of potential. Don't think he will play much with Waghorn, Lawrence, Jozwiak and another attacker to come in. 

19 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

For some reason, it seems A LOT of Derby County fans don't rate him, and to be honest, I can't see why they don't?

For me, since the start of the season (I know it's only been two games) but he's been hardworking and actually improving a lot from the backend of last season.

Why don't people rate him, I'd love to actually understand it, is it because they expect the quick impact Sibley had when he came in? or what? because he was one of a minimal amount of players against Reading who worked v hard and for me he was our MOTM in that game, and I also thought he was decent against Preston.

This isn't a dig at anyone by the way, I'm just confused to be honest.

Cheers

End product 

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue the kid hasn’t got ability and potential but for me he’s still incredibly raw.

full of endeavour and enthusiasm but whilst there’s certainly been glimpses of ability he all too often for me has over run the ball, run into blind allies or just wasted possession when better options are on

I personally don’t think If it wasn’t for our Chronic lack of forward options he wouldn’t be out on loan or serving another year in the u23s

Just don’t quite think he’s at the same level as knight, bird and sibley yet 

I personally think if he bulked up a little in the gym that would help him massively, I wasnt massively keen on bird when he first burst onto the scene but a bit of weight training has done him wonders. Think Morgan will be good for us in the long run although frustratingly im not sure in which position.

I think if we all watched his 18 - 19 highlights on You Tube we'd all be raving about him and wanting us to sign him.

He scored one and assisted one against Birmingham and has managed to look very bright in the early games this season when we are far short of attacking options. 

I'm amazed anyone can see better attacking options that he's missing on the ball; I see very few attacking options of any kind! 

I hope he stays in and around the first team squad, even if that is a bench option when the new players settle. Come on Morgan, you're a Ram! 

I really rate him as a prospect - there's every chance he could turn out to be a great player for us. I just think he's been relied upon too much to provide the attacking spark this season...probably because he's one of the only players who has showed any attacking intent whatsoever.

For me, if we had more senior wingers on our books he'd be on loan in League One right now. I think that would be better for his development...but I imagine Cocu and the team know a hell of a lot more about player development than I do!

As for people not rating him or giving him stick - idiots to a man.

Looks promising but not ready yet. I'd like to see him brought off the bench to have fun and not be a match winner. 

Whenever he plays it's like "Just change the game and look like an instant superstar". 

Be nice to bring him on when we don't have to score with opponents more open.

We've got to stop asking very young inexperienced players to be superstars because players we have spent money on aren't. They should be allowed some freedom not put under pressure. 

Some players coming through will just be a Shinnie, Evans etc. Just alright Championship players. They aren't all going to be worth £50m in 5 years. 

The expectancy has crept up.

Did very well in the Academy. Bags of ability and class. Glad he's close and really glad he scored that weird goal at the end of last season to get him off the mark, and I think it's helped his confidence. He scored some crackers for the U23s.

What I'm yet to see and is for me the mark of a complete striker is the real hunger to score goals. For it to be the first thought in his head, rather than safely keeping possession. To be prepared to go in where it hurts to get the ball in the back of the net. To drive forward and terrify opposition defenders and battle them for the prime position in the box to finish off a chance. A bit more desire!

I hope it comes. He could become a Rolls Royce of a player if it does. A couple more goals soon could really help him push on.

Nothing against Whittaker, I like him and support him, but he just hasn't made enough significant impacts on games to cause fans to rate him just yet.

Hopefully he is one for the future and it is just a matter of time, but there are countless examples of young players that have made far more significant impacts. 

2 hours ago, Bubbles said:

I think he's lacking confidence at this level - You have to have a level of arrogance to be a great forward and/or winger and I don't think he has that (yet) - You've got to be confident that you and that you and only you are the best person to score the goal or beat the man or put the cross in - and I think he looks unsure of that and seems constantly like he wants to give someone else the ball

Everyone gives Lawrence grief - But he's at his best when he's confident and has a swagger about him - It's no surprise he has a good few 2-goal hauls in games cos he looks so much more confident after he scores and is almost unplayable when that happens - I think Whittaker needs a bit of time to get his confidence at this level

I don’t know how anyone can judge him on the limited minutes he’s had so far. 5 minutes at the end of a game every now and then last season was hardly likely to allow him to show his talent properly. FWIW I think he looks a little lacking physically at the moment, but that’s only based on a couple of games. It’s not enough.

Archived