Morgan Whittaker

Bubbles

One thing that’s always happened with Morgan is he takes time to adapt. Happened ever since he was young. Once he gets the confidence and adapts to the game he scores for fun. I’d say he probably has the most technical ability out of everyone in the club. His touch and dribbling is next level. He’ll be a class player and he’s a class lad off the pitch. He’s a little bit like Jaime vardy. He takes his time but once he understands he’ll fly 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

End product 

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would argue the kid hasn’t got ability and potential but for me he’s still incredibly raw.

full of endeavour and enthusiasm but whilst there’s certainly been glimpses of ability he all too often for me has over run the ball, run into blind allies or just wasted possession when better options are on

I personally don’t think If it wasn’t for our Chronic lack of forward options he wouldn’t be out on loan or serving another year in the u23s

Just don’t quite think he’s at the same level as knight, bird and sibley yet 

“End product” ???

People think Sibley’s (close to) 1 goal contribution a game was fantastic at U18/23 level. Whittaker was even better - averaging 1.5 goal contributions per game in the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons. 

18/19 saw him score 20 and assist another 12 in 20 games at U18 level (he struggled to make the step up to the U23s in his limited game time. 
19/20 saw him score 11 and assist another 7 in 12 games. 

Even in the first team last season he still managed to score 1 and assist 1 in just 468 mins (all competitions). Over a 46 game season that’s 18 goals/assists! He suffers a bit from the same condition as Bennett - lots of games (21) but only a small number of minutes in each (22 mins on average). 

He seems/seemed to lack the confidence when stepping up a level. It took him a while to adjust to U18 and U23 levels, but once it clicked he was lethal. We’ve seen how much more confident he is since that Birmingham game. He also looks to have physically matured over the summer. I still find it bizarre how he’s managed to outmuscle (foul) so many big Championship defenders since we came out of lockdown. 

Also, some people probably expect a top scoring forward from youth level to be the sort to poach goals in and around the 6 yard box. Most of Whittaker‘s are from in and around the edge of the box. It was even the same when he was playing at CF for a few months. 
Space is a lot tougher at this level, hence why he hasn’t had as many attempts on target as he would have liked. That’ll come once he’s adjusted to the level. 

3 hours ago, Bubbles said:

For some reason, it seems A LOT of Derby County fans don't rate him, and to be honest, I can't see why they don't?

For me, since the start of the season (I know it's only been two games) but he's been hardworking and actually improving a lot from the backend of last season.

Why don't people rate him, I'd love to actually understand it, is it because they expect the quick impact Sibley had when he came in? or what? because he was one of a minimal amount of players against Reading who worked v hard and for me he was our MOTM in that game, and I also thought he was decent against Preston.

This isn't a dig at anyone by the way, I'm just confused to be honest.

Cheers

I don't not rate him, just think he should have a loan deal for this season. Then next season he'll come back a more experienced player.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

“End product” ???

People think Sibley’s (close to) 1 goal contribution a game was fantastic at U18/23 level. Whittaker was even better - averaging 1.5 goal contributions per game in the 18/19 and 19/20 seasons. 

18/19 saw him score 20 and assist another 12 in 20 games at U18 level (he struggled to make the step up to the U23s in his limited game time. 
19/20 saw him score 11 and assist another 7 in 12 games. 

Even in the first team last season he still managed to score 1 and assist 1 in just 468 mins (all competitions). Over a 46 game season that’s 18 goals/assists! He suffers a bit from the same condition as Bennett - lots of games (21) but only a small number of minutes in each (22 mins on average). 

He seems/seemed to lack the confidence when stepping up a level. It took him a while to adjust to U18 and U23 levels, but once it clicked he was lethal. We’ve seen how much more confident he is since that Birmingham game. He also looks to have physically matured over the summer. I still find it bizarre how he’s managed to outmuscle (foul) so many big Championship defenders since we came out of lockdown. 

Sorry to clarify for u

End product.... in the first 

Callum ball had end product at youth levels ?

the question I was answering was regarding his contribution so far for the first team 

14 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Sorry to clarify for u

End product.... in the first 

Callum ball had end product at youth levels ?

the question I was answering was regarding his contribution so far for the first team 

2 goal contributions in 468 minutes of first team football last season. Not many in our squad bettered that ?

The lad has presence in everything he does. He's just been a bit reserved so far in the first team which is easy as a new younger player who is still trying to figure out what their position is. 

Last season he didn't look like he wanted to get involved when he played because he probably felt a bit lost. The Preston game I thought he was great. Strong on the ball, good powerful runs forward and can certainly put in a tough tackle. He was so much more confident. 

Yaya Toure, Patrick Viera type of player on the cards. Someone who you won't want to go near or them be near you because you can't compete with them physically. 

Once he's comfortable and confident he's going to be a great player for us. 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Come again? Lol

Goal contribution = goal or assist (a rough indicator of direct end product)

From last season here are our top players in terms of minutes per goal contribution (all comps):

1. Martin 124 
2. Sibley 153
3. Waghorn 205 
4. Marriott 208 
5. Paterson 223 
6. Lawrence 230 
7. Rooney 233
8. Whittaker 234 
9. Knight 298

And in terms of league only...

1. Sibley 106
2. Martin 123 
3. Whittaker 135 
4. Paterson 163 
5. Marriott 187
6. Waghorn 199  
7. Rooney 218 
8. Lawrence 230 
9. Knight 258

14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

For me he needs to develop a nasty ruthless streak something that knight and sibley are showing and if he can do that then I will be more hopeful 

I reckon it,s in him Sparkle , been watching season 3 of The Wire , Marvin,s a dead ringer for the ruthless young gang boss Marlo , he,s gonna bag one at Luton today and push on to play his part in the reshaped attacking options Phil,s putting together in the next few weeks

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Please tell me that included the game?

If not, commiserations!

Lol. No saw it via red button on Sky Sports app. Was a bit dreary, they looked okay and we looked worse. #sigh Just wondered about Whittaker not getting a place.

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Was he injured tonight? I haven’t got a great internet connection tonight so have missed seeing stuff.

Whittaker was just starting to find a bit of form, when he was on the pitch he started to make things happen, his confidence was growing and it was plain to see. Not world beating displays but much improved...

Dropping him out the 16 and not featuring in 2 games wont do anything for that confidence.

So, hopefully it was injury.

Archived