Louie Sibley

Ellafella

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's going to be great to watch when we can get him facing the other way. Having his back to goal has made him look pretty poor where often his second touch is a tackle but we know he's so much better than that. 

Just need to create that space.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He's going to be great to watch when we can get him facing the other way. Having his back to goal has made him look pretty poor where often his second touch is a tackle but we know he's so much better than that. 

Just need to create that space.

Absolutely. He has to be played in a midfield position where he can “come on” to the ball and run at teams. That’s his USP along with his tenacity and his engine and his shooting. Playing him too advanced is reducing his potency, ironically. His goals come from running on to the ball whilst facing the opposition. 

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Nice to have newspaper article that isn't ridiculously negative about us. 

Sibley is good, but hes not a striker.

Agreed @RadioactiveWaste. It’s great that we’re being recognised as a Club who are giving the Youngsters a go. Perhaps though we need the Club to manage our expectations more. It looks like Cocu’s system is going to take longer to reach fruition. 

Now here's a crazy notion...

Anyone think that Sibley would actually be very useful playing a little deeper - perhaps even alongside Rooney - and being allowed to travel with the ball more?

For starters he's be facing the right way more often and he has that special ability to break a line and make some space.

Might even work if he swapped  roles with Max Bird, who I actually think would be quite good with his back to goal when we have the vball, and an ideal forward 'defender' to press the opposition further up the pitch when they have it.

He's our best player for me. He's unbelievably productive for such a young player and has an outrageous amount of talent. He's not a striker, no, but I think you're seeing Championship teams make a strategy to keep him quiet. Reading stuck two men on him and didn't want the ball anywhere near him. 

Bird is a talented footballer, with great vision. Sibley is the first player this club has produced since Giles Barnes that can have an impact on the stat sheets, i.e. goals and assists. 

I do find it funny that he's said that he's added Rooney's aggression to his game when he's definitely (not arguably) the most naturally aggressive player I've seen at Derby. I think every game in the U18s he was guaranteed a yellow card for getting into the face of the opposition. I think running the ball from our box to set up Archie Brown for a tap in and then celebrating over the Arsenal keeper shows what kind of player he is - and he definitely won't make many friends on the pitch outside of Derby. 

9 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Now here's a crazy notion...

Anyone think that Sibley would actually be very useful playing a little deeper - perhaps even alongside Rooney - and being allowed to travel with the ball more?

For starters he's be facing the right way more often and he has that special ability to break a line and make some space.

Might even work if he swapped  roles with Max Bird, who I actually think would be quite good with his back to goal when we have the vball, and an ideal forward 'defender' to press the opposition further up the pitch when they have it.

He's incredibly sloppy when attempting to win the ball back, couple that with his aggression and I think it would be a nightmare to have him in a deeper position with the opposition playing around him.

He'd be giving FKs away constantly, I think.

His passing also isn't very good. So you'd be putting him deep entirely on the back of the concept of him running further with the ball, but being deep doesn't mean you always get the ball in space, or with space to run into.

Non-starter, for me.

52 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. He has to be played in a midfield position where he can “come on” to the ball and run at teams. That’s his USP along with his tenacity and his engine and his shooting. Playing him too advanced is reducing his potency, ironically. His goals come from running on to the ball whilst facing the opposition. 

That’s the problem isn’t it, last season the striker who isn’t allowed to be named would drop in while a sibley would run off him. So far this season Sibley is coming towards the ball and Marriott runs off into nowhere or just stands marking the defenders.

In terms of formation ostensibly we haven't been playing him in a different position to last season, no radical change of placement when you write the team down, but yes he has been playing too far forward to be effective.

However the reason for that lies more in other players, or specifically the inclusion of one player (Marriott) than any innate desire of the management to see him further up the field and receiving the ball with his back to goal under close attention from opposition defenders.

The simple fact is that if you're playing Marriott as a lone striker you have to have someone else move further up the field than they otherwise would in an attempt to offer him support, and in our 4-2-3-1  the player that ends up being Sibley.

To avoid that being the case you'd either need to move Sibley to one of the wider positions (which requires having someone suitable for the central position) or switching to a 4-3-3 with Sibley as one of the midfielders, but then you're isolating Marriott who isn't really suited to playing on his own up top.

The way our squad is at present every solution presented then creates it's own problem(s).

51 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He's our best player for me. He's unbelievably productive for such a young player and has an outrageous amount of talent. He's not a striker, no, but I think you're seeing Championship teams make a strategy to keep him quiet. Reading stuck two men on him and didn't want the ball anywhere near him. 

Bird is a talented footballer, with great vision. Sibley is the first player this club has produced since Giles Barnes that can have an impact on the stat sheets, i.e. goals and assists. 

I do find it funny that he's said that he's added Rooney's aggression to his game when he's definitely (not arguably) the most naturally aggressive player I've seen at Derby. I think every game in the U18s he was guaranteed a yellow card for getting into the face of the opposition. I think running the ball from our box to set up Archie Brown for a tap in and then celebrating over the Arsenal keeper shows what kind of player he is - and he definitely won't make many friends on the pitch outside of Derby. 

Great post. I love his natural, raw aggression and hope he keeps it. Fans love players who show that commitment. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Once he learns where to put that aggression, he’s going to be some player. At the moment he’s a bit of a liability discipline wise, but there’s nothing wrong with the sort of desire he shows. Once he directs all of that towards his play on the ball, he’ll be a force to re reckoned with.

Pretty much agree with all that but I quite like that maverick side to him. He certainly won't be bullied by anyone just ask Scott Mctominay. You're quite right though once it's channelled correctly he will be a force to be reckoned with. You have to be careful not to nullify it too much whilst he's still learning. I think he's already taken some steps in controlling it.

Archived