Louie Sibley

Ellafella

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Alpha said:

He's going to be great to watch when we can get him facing the other way. Having his back to goal has made him look pretty poor where often his second touch is a tackle but we know he's so much better than that. 

Just need to create that space.

Agreed. He creates his own space so well between the lines and loves to shoot and take on player's. He's one of the last people in this league you want picking up the ball unmarked 30-35 yards out as a CB because he's either going to shoot and it will be a good effort or he's going to run at you and more than likely beat you or you have to foul him. 

The more players being a threat, gives Sibley the space to do his thing. 

1 hour ago, superzak said:

i keep hearing about our emerging stars from the academy but i think we are overrating them out of neccessity  to put out a team...i have seen no future william Hughes ..his star celebrity at this club is safe.

As of right now, Hendrick has achieved more than Hughes. Knight's at a similar level to when Hendrick broke into the team. For example, Knight scored 6 goals last season aged 18/19, whereas Hendrick scored 3 and assisted 3 in his breakthrough season aged 19/20.

Bird is similar to Hughes, isn't as good in those tight spaces, but is more suited to that deep-lying role and takes an exceptional corner. Overall, the only real difference is Bird came into the team 2 years older than Hughes did. At 20, Bird's been one of the first names on the teamsheet for half a season, whereas Hughes had 3 seasons. Hughes then missed the majority of the following season which was a major setback for him so this is a good chance for Bird to 'catch up'

I've watched Hughes and Bird since they were both 16 and thought they were both incredibly intelligent players. I've watched Knight and Hendrick come in to the youth sides and think they're going to be accomplished upper-Championship players at the very least. I even thought Callum Ball had a chance of making it as a Championship target man after watching him play in the youth sides, I thought I was going to be proven right after he had a goal ruled out incorrectly on his first league start (Reading away). It may have been his motivation/dedication which stopped him from making it.
Sibley's so far ahead of them all in natural talent. I think he was still 15 when he made his first appearance for the U18s, and scored in a matter of seconds, then seemed to score or assist every other game at that level at just 16. Then last year, aged 18, he was the best player by far in the U23 league - wasn't he averaging 1 goal contribution per game? Then carried that form straight into the first team with a record not far off 1 goal contribution per 90 (may have been 1 per 100 mins or something ridiculously good even for the best in the league)

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I keep hearing about "facing the right way" but good midfield players, which I think young Louis is, should be capable, if necessary, to receive the ball, retain it and turn their man. 

The only way I can see him doing that is if he drops deep. He sticks rigidly to his position at the moment and is that instruction or him not thinking enough? 

He's marked touch tight and with teams having no reason to back off Derby it's easy to send him back to his own midfield. 

Everytime he tried anything vs Reading he was outmuscled or harassed into a mistake before he'd had chance for third touch. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

The only way I can see him doing that is if he drops deep. He sticks rigidly to his position at the moment and is that instruction or him not thinking enough? 

He's marked touch tight and with teams having no reason to back off Derby it's easy to send him back to his own midfield. 

Everytime he tried anything vs Reading he was outmuscled or harassed into a mistake before he'd had chance for third touch. 

Agree with all of that Alpha but from my perspective he needs to take responsibility to do exactly as you suggest and drop a little derper to give himself a bit of wiggle room. He may be taking instructions too literally. If you have someone on your shoulder all the time you have to do something with either skill, physique or hopefully both or you become ineffective. He has to work it out imo

58 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Agree with all of that Alpha but from my perspective he needs to take responsibility to do exactly as you suggest and drop a little derper to give himself a bit of wiggle room. He may be taking instructions too literally. If you have someone on your shoulder all the time you have to do something with either skill, physique or hopefully both or you become ineffective. He has to work it out imo

Yeah, he could definitely do more. 

Against Reading him and Marriott stayed in their position on paper for the whole game. It's hard know whether they don't move because the instructions are to pass the ball 10 yards to feet or if we pass the ball 10 yards to feet because they don't move. 

Marriott did keep pointing where he wanted the ball though

This team needs proper attacking wide players before we can start making our minds up a bit. Players like Lawrence who I don't really rate that just make defenders think about going backwards. It's a lot to ask of Whittaker who should be just enjoying himself with the freedom to make mistakes and learn. And Knight is no more an attacking wide player than Hendrick, Hughes or Bryson. 

8 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion he's the most rounded CM we have.

Yeah I bet he is. I think that's his problem though in modern football with so many managers having very specific defensive and attacking roles for players. 

17 hours ago, superzak said:

i keep hearing about our emerging stars from the academy but i think we are overrating them out of neccessity  to put out a team...i have seen no future william Hughes ..his star celebrity at this club is safe.

Suspect Sibley has scored more goals than Hughes career already. I know they are different types of players, but goal scoring midfielders are always la creme de la creme. It was the one thing lacking for me in Hughesy.

17 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Suspect Sibley has scored more goals than Hughes career already. I know they are different types of players, but goal scoring midfielders are always la creme de la creme. It was the one thing lacking for me in Hughesy.

Looking on wikipedia which might not be the best source for this , Will has scored 14 goals in 242 games . Louie has scored 5 in 12.

10 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Looking on wikipedia which might not be the best source for this , Will has scored 14 goals in 242 games . Louie has scored 5 in 12.

Think he was also boasting the best shots to goals ratio last season too.

• 1 month later...

Archived