Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

15 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Dont you have to do it in front if a clinical professional?

I think you do it via zoom or something if you take the kit with you.  you need to show a certificate before you fly.  proviso, this is my experience travelling twice and having friends visit next week.  there maybe other ways but I think you are correct, it must be formally witnessed

31 minutes ago, Rev said:

Apparently you just send the company a picture of your test, they then send you a certificate by email.

Wow! Who are the company? The pre-departure return test has got to be the worst bit of going abroad even when double jabbed.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

it is laughable though, it achieves nothing, stick it under the tap, negative, hey presto you get a certificate.  Very few would volunteer to be forced into quarantine before you can go home

20 minutes ago, Spanish said:

it is laughable though, it achieves nothing, stick it under the tap, negative, hey presto you get a certificate.  Very few would volunteer to be forced into quarantine before you can go home

Just as laughable as the PCR test on day 2 of your return, often never get the results...but you are at home. 

Edited by RoyMac5

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just as laughable as the PCR test on day 2 of your return, often never get the results...but you are at home. 

we went back to the UK for the UK masters championship in Derby for 4 days

2 days before flight - test

2 days after arrival - test

arrival in Gibraltar - test

somebody is making a lot of money

The farce gets even worse. Trying to plan my day2 PCR test. I basically get back from Crete at 2am, then go to Butlins at about 10am, so ideally, I’d want the test waiting for me when i get home. So I enquired with TUI’s recommended supplier Screen4. They said they will post through my door and I don’t need to sign for it, BUT, they cannot deliver before I arrive! The earliest is the day I arrive! WTAF!!!

Just reading through this & I'm so glad we binned the idea of a foreign holiday this year.

Each to their own, of course, but having to go through all this testing faff (and cost), while worrying about retsrictions changing both before you go and while you're away. Not to mention worrying about actually catching it out there and having to stay and isolate. How is that supposed to help you relax and de-stress?

I can't get my head round why people think it's all worth it for a few days in the sun.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Just reading through this & I'm so glad we binned the idea of a foreign holiday this year.

Each to their own, of course, but having to go through all this testing faff (and cost), while worrying about retsrictions changing both before you go and while you're away. Not to mention worrying about actually catching it out there and having to stay and isolate. How is that supposed to help you relax and de-stress?

I can't get my head round why people think it's all worth it for a few days in the sun.

Simply, holidays are good for mental well-being. In the grand scheme of things, its a bit of extra cost, and about an hour’s extra work. The rest is just fear. 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

The farce gets even worse. Trying to plan my day2 PCR test. I basically get back from Crete at 2am, then go to Butlins at about 10am, so ideally, I’d want the test waiting for me when i get home. So I enquired with TUI’s recommended supplier Screen4. They said they will post through my door and I don’t need to sign for it, BUT, they cannot deliver before I arrive! The earliest is the day I arrive! WTAF!!!

Don't worry about it. When you read some of the threads on Tripadvisor/MSE forum about day2/PCR tests lots of people saying, blah it's not turned up. Reply is ring 119 tell them you've paid via Rip-off19 and they'll send you a PCR test to take. Lots of people saying about not getting results back, but it doesn't matter you just need the 'code' you get when you buy your test to enter on you PLF form!

On 04/02/2021 at 20:26, ariotofmyown said:

You might be at the Pierhouse more than once. Great place for a drink as the sun goes down into the sea on a warm August evening.

There is a great Thai place in the town too. Pig on the Hill is about 5 mins drive too and had a couple of lovely meals there. 

Clovelly is very close to Westward Ho! and pretty unique.

Lynton/Lynmouth/Valley of the Rocks is amazing.

Lands End is a good trek from there and not particularly thrilling from what I remember.

You were right about the Pier House, tried to grab a table last minute and they were fully booked for 2 weeks!!  As for The Pig, best ploughman's & caesar salad I've ever had.  Truly great food.  

Had a great time down there though, and can't wait to go back.  Westward Ho proved to be a great base to venture out from.  Went to Ilfracombe to see Verity, Clovelly is indeed very unique and steep (had to get the Land Rover taxi back up to the car park), made it down to Padstow & took a speedboat ride round the bay, and Lynton/Lynmouth was stunning.  All in all it was the best break we've had in the UK.  Even the weather was kind to us!!

The only couple of sour notes was thinking it was a good idea to -

A - Go to Appledore for some fish n chips on the front.  15 minutes to find a parking space, then a 45 wait for the grub wasn't much fun.  The chips were crap as well

B - Call into Weston-Super-Mare on the way home to break up the day, and kill some of the time we'd otherwise have spent sitting in the Bristol traffic.  Think I'd rather be in a traffic accident than go there again.  What a ?-hole...

24 minutes ago, Miggins said:

No holiday plans. Would have loved to got away but prices are ridiculous and much more than we can afford. Our savings this year have had to pay for a new garden shed to replace the one that fell down this winter. Plus paying for exterior decorating. I am fed up.

There have/are some incredibly cheap Ryanair flight prices. £40 return to the Canaries.

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There have/are some incredibly cheap Ryanair flight prices. £40 return to the Canaries.

The problem is that these are never the total costs of the flights. By the time you have paid for the luxury of sitting together etc. it's at least 4 times the cost. We don't want to go abroad and sit in a very confined space for three hours with so many folk who may not have been as careful as we have. Ideally we would have liked to go away somewhere in this country but the prices are crazy!

I hope you have managed to get away this summer, Roy. It's just beyond our means at present, but we'll make up for it next year, hopefully in Tenerife!!?