Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Never tell anyone you’re going away if the houses empty.

We we’re burgled once whist away, not nice.  Hope they’ve not made too much mess and taken sentimental stuff ?

Nothing that can't be replaced, and nothing of any real sentimental value. Watches, some minor items of jewellery, a couple of gold sovereigns, some cash and, believe it or not, my wife's spare reading glasses, an e-cigarette and half a dozen bottles of e-liquid. Total value probably a grand. 4 laptops, the telly, the tivo box etc all still here. Small items only.

There have been a spate of burglaries in this area - I've since heard of 4 in the last two days all within 200 yards of my house so likely to be a gang casing the streets for people being away. I have the local security guy coming round tomorrow to discuss cameras, alarm systems and so forth. Hopefully the glazier who I messaged will ring too. Curtains and lights are a dead giveaway, of course. Should you leave curtains open or closed, lights on or off?

The police were trying to get in touch with me today - about 10 missed calls because I was driving. When they finally got through, I had got home. There was toughened glass grains everywhere, the window in the back door had been boarded up by the police, there was a note left to say that forensics had completed dusting for prints and I could start clearing up.

I had a feeling something was amiss - 10 missed calls from two numbers in the space of 30 minutes. I switched on my phone at the service station and saw the missed calls so rang both numbers - one didn't answer and the second went through to voice-mail, so I left a message saying I would be home shortly. My first thought was that somebody close to me had died or had had a serious accident. In the end, I was immensely relieved that I had 'only' been burgled. Things are easy to replace.

Really sorry to read this @Eddie  Should hang the Scrotes by their scrotes. Glad they didn’t seem to get to your beer stash (or if they did, glad (like me) that they haven’t got the taste for that stuff and left it alone).

Edited by i-Ram

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Really sorry to read this @Eddie  Should hang the Scrotes by their scrotes. Glad they didn’t seem to get to your beer stash (or if they did, glad (like me) that they haven’t got the taste for that stuff and left it alone).

No beer taken - which was sensible really. One taste and they would have still been here, rolling about the floor, when the rozzers turned up.

Fkin Eeyores taken though - I suspect a stripey cat with an affinity for bouncing.

Sorry to hear that, @Eddie - you seem to have a very philosophical attitude to the loss, though, which is good.

Small high value items = quick sale for cash, usually drug money. 

If they are doing that many, they'll get caught soon. That's a small consolation as they won't be doing it to anyone else.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

No beer taken - which was sensible really. One taste and they would have still been here, rolling about the floor, when the rozzers turned up.

Fkin Eeyores taken though - I suspect a stripey cat with an affinity for bouncing.

The Eeyores are safe. The scrotes had knocked them behind a bookcase.

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sorry to hear that, @Eddie - you seem to have a very philosophical attitude to the loss, though, which is good.

Small high value items = quick sale for cash, usually drug money. 

If they are doing that many, they'll get caught soon. That's a small consolation as they won't be doing it to anyone else.

Cheers.

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

Nothing that can't be replaced, and nothing of any real sentimental value. Watches, some minor items of jewellery, a couple of gold sovereigns, some cash and, believe it or not, my wife's spare reading glasses, an e-cigarette and half a dozen bottles of e-liquid. Total value probably a grand. 4 laptops, the telly, the tivo box etc all still here. Small items only.

There have been a spate of burglaries in this area - I've since heard of 4 in the last two days all within 200 yards of my house so likely to be a gang casing the streets for people being away. I have the local security guy coming round tomorrow to discuss cameras, alarm systems and so forth. Hopefully the glazier who I messaged will ring too. Curtains and lights are a dead giveaway, of course. Should you leave curtains open or closed, lights on or off?

The police were trying to get in touch with me today - about 10 missed calls because I was driving. When they finally got through, I had got home. There was toughened glass grains everywhere, the window in the back door had been boarded up by the police, there was a note left to say that forensics had completed dusting for prints and I could start clearing up.

I had a feeling something was amiss - 10 missed calls from two numbers in the space of 30 minutes. I switched on my phone at the service station and saw the missed calls so rang both numbers - one didn't answer and the second went through to voice-mail, so I left a message saying I would be home shortly. My first thought was that somebody close to me had died or had had a serious accident. In the end, I was immensely relieved that I had 'only' been burgled. Things are easy to replace.

Sorry to hear you’ve been burgled. So annoying and intrusive. Great attitude though. You’re right that people and feelings are important. Stuff not quite so much.

Hope they get caught and learn a better way.

Take care of yourself because the shock sometimes catches up.

Best wishes - and make sure you drink those beers they missed ?

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Sorry to hear you’ve been burgled. So annoying and intrusive. Great attitude though. You’re right that people and feelings are important. Stuff not quite so much.

Hope they get caught and learn a better way.

Take care of yourself because the shock sometimes catches up.

Best wishes - and make sure you drink those beers they missed ?

No beers were taken - and there must be 150 in the lounge.

I might have to cut back a bit though - I've spent 10 grand today (not on beer, I stress).

I'm having my garage completely demolished and a new one built, had my patio doors beefed up security-wise and spent over 2 grand on a fully-integrated top of the range home security system - even the whistles and bells come with whistles and bells.

Got a load more home improvements to make next year like a new shed, and having all the wiring in the house replaced. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I might have to cut back a bit though - I've spent 10 grand today (not on beer, I stress).

I'm having my garage completely demolished and a new one built, had my patio doors beefed up security-wise and spent over 2 grand on a fully-integrated top of the range home security system - even the whistles and bells come with whistles and bells.

Got a load more home improvements to make next year like a new shed, and having all the wiring in the house replaced. 

You have to restrict yourself to cooking Belgian beer like Leffe

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

As daft as it sounds, a simple fake alarm bell box is a great deterrent.  The majority of time they’ll look for homes with no obvious signs of alarms.

So anyone on a budget get  fake bell boxes with battery flashing lights and stickers on all access points warning of an alarm linked via GSM.  Someone will sell them.  Fake cameras too is a cheap option, make the risk possibly change their mind and go elsewhere.

Oh, and lights and sockets for table lamps can be controlled via WiFi now too, random switching so not the same time every night.  You could set a sequence for lounge then stairs, then bathroom then bedroom.  Unless you’ve broadcast you’re away that should cast enough doubt on any smack rat.

Edited by Boycie

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

As daft as it sounds, a simple fake alarm bell box is a great deterrent.  The majority of time they’ll look for homes with no obvious signs of alarms.

So anyone on a budget get  fake bell boxes with battery flashing lights and stickers on all access points warning of an alarm linked via GSM.  Someone will sell them.  Fake cameras too is a cheap option, make the risk possibly change their mind and go elsewhere.

Oh, and lights and sockets for table lamps can be controlled via WiFi now too, random switching so not the same time every night.  You could set a sequence for lounge then stairs, then bathroom then bedroom.  Unless you’ve broadcast you’re away that should cast enough doubt on any smack rat.

I've taken the OTT option, because I never want to feel how I do now, ever again. Even better, my son's told me he's paying for it.

The only 'advertising' that I was away was that my curtains were open at night. I could have closed them, but then they would have been closed during the day, which would appear even more obvious.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've taken the OTT option, because I never want to feel how I do now, ever again. Even better, my son's told me he's paying for it.

The only 'advertising' that I was away was that my curtains were open at night. I could have closed them, but then they would have been closed during the day, which would appear even more obvious.

You were in Blackpool mate.

Edited by Boycie
It wasn’t me btw ?

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You were in Blackpool mate.

I appreciate the joke, but 4 houses within 100 yards of my house were broken into over the same weekend. I'm guessing that it was a gang who were casing the neighbourhood for some time, as opposed to a near-anonymous presence on a messageboard being picked up by someone knowing an 'Eddie'. Only people on the DCFC 'network' know me by that name - and none of them know my address (or I think that's the case).

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good to hear you have upgraded your security.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I appreciate the joke, but 4 houses within 100 yards of my house were broken into over the same weekend. I'm guessing that it was a gang who were casing the neighbourhood for some time, as opposed to a near-anonymous presence on a messageboard being picked up by someone knowing an 'Eddie'. Only people on the DCFC 'network' know me by that name - and none of them know my address (or I think that's the case).

With respect Eddie, your face is on your profile pic, you’re a character. It’s not unlikely someone will know of you on here.

But, you’re right, it sounds like a steak out like you say.

I only say this because my missus put it on social media (without my knowledge) that we were away one bank holiday weekend.  We got done on the Sunday night.  

Its a wake up for others really, not a snipe at you mate.

No offence meant, it’s a poo situation.