Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

Anyone planning on going abroad, be prepared to be gouged on the cost of tests. I was shocked just how much it came to. 

Also my official test from my holiday country was clearly one of the standard NHS rapid tests that you aren't allowed to use to leave with. Obviously you need to buy a private one at your expense. 

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Anyone planning on going abroad, be prepared to be gouged on the cost of tests. I was shocked just how much it came to. 

Also my official test from my holiday country was clearly one of the standard NHS rapid tests that you aren't allowed to use to leave with. Obviously you need to buy a private one at your expense. 

Got back from Crete yesterday. 

Had to do tests 72 hours before our return and again now we've returned. 

Lots of paperwork but the holiday was worth it. 

We paid £29 from c19 testing for the lateral flow ones we did in Greece to get back to uk. 

Then £43 for randox day 2 tests that we need to do tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Got back from Crete yesterday. 

Had to do tests 72 hours before our return and again now we've returned. 

Lots of paperwork but the holiday was worth it. 

We paid £29 from c19 testing for the lateral flow ones we did in Greece to get back to uk. 

Then £43 for randox day 2 tests that we need to do tomorrow. 

How nervous were you that you might test positive on the 'fit to fly back' test? 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How nervous were you that you might test positive on the 'fit to fly back' test? 

It was a concern, but viral infection levels around the EU are mostly lower than here, and I avoided gatherings where I could. Took my work phone and laptop just in case though. 

17 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It was a concern, but viral infection levels around the EU are mostly lower than here, and I avoided gatherings where I could. Took my work phone and laptop just in case though. 

Yeah cheers, just nervous about getting locked up in a foreign hotel for 10 days. Plus pissed off at the need to pay for PCR test on return. #scam

27 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What would be the incentive to do a proper test on the way back?

Do you do it to yourself?

The test on the way back can be any as long as described on the .gov website. Hence most people doing LFT. If you search for info on site like Tripadvisor there will be info to find the local testing sites at a better price than we pay. Although some people buy a LFT, take it with them and test with it whilst being advised via video call (I think).

The govt prefer PCR I presume because they are more reliable. However as it can be done 3 days before you leave I do not see the point of any of them at all. I presume it's another way of trying to keep travellers at home.

Edited by RoyMac5

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The test on the way back can be any as long as described on the .gov website. Hence most people doing LFT. If you search for info on site like Tripadvisor there will be info to find the local testing sites at a better price than we pay. Although some people buy a LFT, take it with them and test with it whilst being advised via video call (I think).

The govt prefer PCR I presume because they are more reliable. However as it can be done 3 days before you leave I do not see the point of any of them at all. I presume it's another way of trying to keep travellers at home.

Sorry Roy, my question wasn't clear. Do you have to be witnessed whilst doing the test? I for one wouldn't want to be stuck in a foreign hotel for ten days.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Sorry Roy, my question wasn't clear. Do you have to be witnessed whilst doing the test? I for one wouldn't want to be stuck in a foreign hotel for ten days.

I think if you buy a test to take away some, not all have a video linkup as part of the price. But no I don't think you have to, it's to ensure you do it correctly and so the result reflects this, I suppose. But much better to find a local place to get the test done as all(?)/most are done by 'medics' and so the test will be done correctly.

Where are you off to?

Edited by RoyMac5

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think if you buy a test to take away some, not all have a video linkup as part of the price. But no I don't think you have to, it's to ensure you do it correctly and so the result reflects this, I suppose. But much better to find a local place to get the test done as all(?)/most are done by 'medics' and so the test will be done correctly.

Where are you off to?

I am not. I'm in Ireland currently which is the only place I can travel to with no testing at all, if vaccinated.

My fear, and I am sure a lot of peoples fear is getting a positive test whilst on holiday so if that last test was not done by medics, or observed, assuming you are feeling fine, why would you actually swab the correct part of you apart from the moral aspect that you want to keep others safe etc? Selfishly I'd want to make sure it didn't come back as a positive.

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

My wife's put her foot down, and insisted we don't travel abroad middle of September as booked. 

Can't change the flights again, so that's the best part of £900 down the drain.

There's another 'review' happening on 25th August. But I don't expect much to change, but you never know.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

There's another 'review' happening on 25th August. But I don't expect much to change, but you never know.

Tbh Roy, she's doing my head in. 

This will make the 7th cancellation of various holidays since this all started.

Hotel is booked independent of the flights, the hotel have had €800 of deposit since 2019, should still be able to get that back if I move sharpish.

Flights are with Ryanair, moved twice already so that money's gone.

She won't travel, as she's worried about testing positive when we have to return, then spending another week abroad quarantining, then threw in the theory that Corfu would turn Red while quarantining, requiring a further quarantine stay once back in the UK, making 3 weeks in total over the 7 night holiday, plus a few grand extra!

She told me this before I set off for today's game, I accepted her fears, and told her I'd look for an alternative.

Found a cruise departing Southampton on similar dates, calling at Liverpool, Belfast and Dover before ending at Southampton at week later, and early enough to get back for a 3pm home kick off.

Cabin with balcony at the stern of the ship, everything included.

Oh no, she says, what if we get seasick, I'd like a log cabin somewhere it's just the two of us.

Ended up telling her I'd rather go to work than sit in a fookin shed in the middle of nowhere.

Still, saves the cash for a few more away days!

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Greece infection is dropping massively and you’ll spend most of your holiday outdoors surely, except bed time, which will be same wherever you are. As long as she wears a mask on the plane…. Nothing to fear. 

I know that, but she has got the fear.

She's worked from home during the pandemic, I've worked everyday in a factory. Probably explains her caution, although she has no problem going out to get her nails and hair done.