Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Simply, holidays are good for mental well-being. In the grand scheme of things, its a bit of extra cost, and about an hour’s extra work. The rest is just fear. 

Yeah I get that. Like I said, each to their own. For me personally, once I drop my luggage at the airport, I just relax and even the risk of restrictions changing while I’m away wouldn’t be any good for my mental well-being - and so renders the whole thing a bit pointless. 

Edited by Wolfie

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Yeah I get that. Like I said, each to their own. For me personally, once I drop my luggage at the airport, I just relax and even the risk of restrictions changing while I’m away would stress me - and so renders the whole thing a bit pointless. 

Crete went Red list last September whilst I was there. I was in between jobs at the time so isolating when back wasn’t an issue. This June, it was Amber and I had to cancel cos working from home wasn’t an option! Now I’ve changed employer, and have been told not to worry if i have to isolate when home. Although them not letting me off the island worries me. I’ve had probably 50 lateral flow tests come back negative this year, even when the other six colleagues in my office ALL went off positive! So I’ve got to hope my immunity is good and being outside except when sleeping/showering helps me not catch owt. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Crete went Red list last September whilst I was there. I was in between jobs at the time so isolating when back wasn’t an issue. This June, it was Amber and I had to cancel cos working from home wasn’t an option! Now I’ve changed employer, and have been told not to worry if i have to isolate when home. Although them not letting me off the island worries me. I’ve had probably 50 lateral flow tests come back negative this year, even when the other six colleagues in my office ALL went off positive! So I’ve got to hope my immunity is good and being outside except when sleeping/showering helps me not catch owt. 

You're going to Malia/Stalis, if I'm not mistaken? 

The whole point of a holiday there is to catch something.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Yeah I get that. Like I said, each to their own. For me personally, once I drop my luggage at the airport, I just relax and even the risk of restrictions changing while I’m away wouldn’t be any good for my mental well-being - and so renders the whole thing a bit pointless. 

It all depends on personality doesn't it? I love going to places I've been before because I know where I'm going and what to expect. If I was going somewhere completely unknown I'd be in the Wolfie camp and very apprehensive. Some people have an adventurous spirit and love going on an adventure into the unknown and enjoy the challenge. Some of us prefer the familiar where we are more able to relax.  Horses for courses!!

27 minutes ago, Miggins said:

The problem is that these are never the total costs of the flights. By the time you have paid for the luxury of sitting together etc. it's at least 4 times the cost. We don't want to go abroad and sit in a very confined space for three hours with so many folk who may not have been as careful as we have. Ideally we would have liked to go away somewhere in this country but the prices are crazy!

I hope you have managed to get away this summer, Roy. It's just beyond our means at present, but we'll make up for it next year, hopefully in Tenerife!!?

It's not x4 of the cost, it's maybe £10 per seat plus bags etc. But just doing a quick 'all in' search on the Ryanair site = £135 per person with bag/seat Stansted to Tenerife end Sept for 7 days. How much cheaper do you want? The confined space will be better ventilated than most shop/interiors I'd guess. I won't pay the rip-off prices for a staycation. We're going, I've had enough of staycationing! Got to go! ? x

Edited by RoyMac5

4 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Just reading through this & I'm so glad we binned the idea of a foreign holiday this year.

Each to their own, of course, but having to go through all this testing faff (and cost), while worrying about retsrictions changing both before you go and while you're away. Not to mention worrying about actually catching it out there and having to stay and isolate. How is that supposed to help you relax and de-stress?

I can't get my head round why people think it's all worth it for a few days in the sun.

Or it could be that some people have not seen their family and friends for well over a year...

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not x4 of the cost, it's maybe £10 per seat plus bags etc. But just doing a quick 'all in' search = £135 per person with bag/seat Stansted to Tenerife end Sept for 7 days. How much cheaper do you want? The confined space will be better ventilated than most shop/interiors I'd guess. I won't pay the rip-off prices for a staycation.

It's not just the flight, Roy. We are extravagant and love to eat out and go to a couple of bars in the evenings, so meals, plus accomodation  and other bits and bobs soon mount up to more than we can afford at present. Plus the bill back home for the cat sitter!! But we will be back next year!

Edited by Miggins

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

You were right about the Pier House, tried to grab a table last minute and they were fully booked for 2 weeks!!  As for The Pig, best ploughman's & caesar salad I've ever had.  Truly great food.  

Had a great time down there though, and can't wait to go back.  Westward Ho proved to be a great base to venture out from.  Went to Ilfracombe to see Verity, Clovelly is indeed very unique and steep (had to get the Land Rover taxi back up to the car park), made it down to Padstow & took a speedboat ride round the bay, and Lynton/Lynmouth was stunning.  All in all it was the best break we've had in the UK.  Even the weather was kind to us!!

The only couple of sour notes was thinking it was a good idea to -

A - Go to Appledore for some fish n chips on the front.  15 minutes to find a parking space, then a 45 wait for the grub wasn't much fun.  The chips were crap as well

B - Call into Weston-Super-Mare on the way home to break up the day, and kill some of the time we'd otherwise have spent sitting in the Bristol traffic.  Think I'd rather be in a traffic accident than go there again.  What a ?-hole...

Great you had such a good time!

I actually went to Weston-super-mare last week and really liked it. I was more down the far end of the front, which is maybe the nicer end. Went to a really gorgeous Italian restaurant too which was proper classy. I did used to go there as a kid a lot so perhaps I got some nostalgia bias!

1 hour ago, Miggins said:

It all depends on personality doesn't it? I love going to places I've been before because I know where I'm going and what to expect. If I was going somewhere completely unknown I'd be in the Wolfie camp and very apprehensive. Some people have an adventurous spirit and love going on an adventure into the unknown and enjoy the challenge. Some of us prefer the familiar where we are more able to relax.  Horses for courses!!

But those places you've been to and want to return to, at some time in the past must have been unknown to you?

12 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Or it could be that some people have not seen their family and friends for well over a year...

Some people, yes. I was referring to the majority. But as has been said, everyone deals with risks & stress differently.

17 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

The farce gets even worse. Trying to plan my day2 PCR test. I basically get back from Crete at 2am, then go to Butlins at about 10am, so ideally, I’d want the test waiting for me when i get home. So I enquired with TUI’s recommended supplier Screen4. They said they will post through my door and I don’t need to sign for it, BUT, they cannot deliver before I arrive! The earliest is the day I arrive! WTAF!!!

most airports have a drive through.

I had this very problem but didn't know about it until I realised the pack hadn't been delivered and I was travelling back the next day, what a panic

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

most airports have a drive through.

I had this very problem but didn't know about it until I realised the pack hadn't been delivered and I was travelling back the next day, what a panic

Investigated this. Opening hours 7am-7pm!