Can Derby fight for title this season

B4ev6is

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the friendly against Sheffield  United, no way. Mid table. Yes, we had several regular first-teamers missing, but the style and approach showed little change from last season. Despite Marriott's efforts, we had nothing upfront. Action needed!

I think a lot are underestimating the teams coming down. To me they are already setup perfectly for the Championship with loads of experiece of doing well. I actually think it will be an even harder league with these 3 in it with the squads and resources they currently have. 

Ah the classic knee jerk reaction to pre season friendlies. 

There was article going about years ago where multiple teams lost in pre season only to go and win multiple trophies in the same season.

You can't get a feel for this league until you are well into it.

Fitness, trialing new tactics, formations and taking a look at the youth players. That's all pre season is. 

1 hour ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

There was article going about years ago where multiple teams lost in pre season only to go and win multiple trophies in the same season.

Fitness, trialing new tactics, formations and taking a look at the youth players. That's all pre season is. 

how is it knee jerk? If you expect an improvement on the season before, what are you basing that on? I think anyone suggesting we equal last season's "achievement" would be considered realistic, not "knee jerk". 

To win a league you need to win games, to win games you need to score more goals than the opposition. With the current squad and the way we play I can’t see us scoring enough goals to win enough games. Champions no, playoffs can’t see it but maybe, 10th-14th more realistic. 

8 hours ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

Yes but the overarching philosophy is still the same as last season. Keep possession, pass sideways, pass backwards, pass sideways etc. Where is the pace? The penetration?  The speed of thought to get the ball forward? If Cocu doesn’t change this and get some pacy wide midfielder(s)/forward(s) in it’s going to be a long dull season. It may be that he has his targets but this near to the start of the new season it doesn’t bode well.

8 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Yes but the overarching philosophy is still the same as last season. Keep possession, pass sideways, pass backwards, pass sideways etc. Where is the pace? The penetration?  The speed of thought to get the ball forward? If Cocu doesn’t change this and get some pacy wide midfielder(s)/forward(s) in it’s going to be a long dull season. It may be that he has his targets but this near to the start of the new season it doesn’t bode well.

Come on Shinnie. Imagine you're playing for Barcelona or Manchester City. Pass and move. Pass and move. No Forsyth, pass to a white shirt. Now faster, faster. Take him on Evans, go past him. With the ball.

19 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Come on Shinnie. Imagine you're playing for Barcelona or Manchester City. Pass and move. Pass and move. No Forsyth, pass to a white shirt. Now faster, faster. Take him on Evans, go past him. With the ball.

Missed one...

Sibley lad, just pump it forward.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Don't you think cocu would if he had the money too he can only do what he can do on our budget it's as simple as that! He's having to deal with what he has, Cocu basically having to do the job what Clough had to do but harder he's having to get rid of our high earners and build he's probably got less of a budget then what Clough had and high expectations

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

I agree with the majority of that. But the measure stick should be with the starting 11, in a settled formation, against a championship team, several games into the season. Cocu will know the weaknesses in the team and will make the relevant improvements within the budget.

Don't forget that same dull side (albeit without Martin this time around) was third in form table for the second part of the season. 

I'm not suggesting that's some sort of accomplishment, but more to point out that his 'dull' and 'sideways' football is a bit more effective than you think. 

On 30/08/2020 at 23:55, B4ev6is said:

But really need resign chris martin or different type of striker that is lighting quick. But that can turn defanders like butter.

I’m a little bit confused, you’re calling for Chris Martin to be signed up again, failing that let’s go for a completely different striker that’s the opposite of Martin.

So do we need a Martin style striker or a lightening quick one?

I think it will be a top 10 struggle. 

Not got enough goal threats and not enough width. The players we will play wide will still forever receive the ball in front of the defender. There's no reason to believe the way we will attack will be any different to last season without new signings

In fact the only change is we've lost depth in the squad. 

We're kind of heavy with central players so I just see lots of possession and tight games that result in "Derby 0.."

This season is going to be a strange one for every team I reckon due to coronavirus. Shorter pre-season, but longer transfer window. Condensed fixture list with no fans in stadiums for the time-being. Will one team take to this situation like ducks to water and steamroller the league? I don't think so. Could be a lively old scrap at the top and the bottom of the league this year. 

12 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

I thought this was year 2 of a 4 year project? 

I expect us to be properly challenging next season - unless we miracle some unforeseen players in from somewhere this window.

It's always next season, next summer we could sell all our best players as players like Bird, Bogle and Sibley will have better offers  than a midtable championship team if they keep playing well and we will need to sell to get some money in so next season could a be a midtable struggle like people predict for this year, then Cocu could go if he isn't given funds you can't forsee the long term in a blindly optimistic way where things improve.

Just have to hope the season coming is as good as possible and we bring in a few players that turn out to be astute buys like Martin on a free transfer or Holmes for a few hundred thousand and somehow get promoted, looking at teams like Blackpool and Huddersfield going up it should never be completely out of the question. Should always aim for at least top 6. 

Archived