Can Derby fight for title this season

B4ev6is

Well it seems that Cocu is having a good clear out. We have signed marshall decent keeper two really good defanders but we are lacking a little bit creative at the moment and set peace taker. I really like our young player such as selby and knight and morgan whitter but could do with a loan. But really need resign chris martin or different type of striker that is lighting quick. But that can turn defanders like butter.

But I like what Cocu what is trying build at Derby and make us a force that clubs fear playimg against.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, B4ev6is said:

Well it seems that Cocu is having a good clear out. We have signed marshall decent keeper two really good defanders but we are lacking a little bit creative at the moment and set peace taker. I really like our young player such as selby and knight and morgan whitter but could do with a loan. But really need resign chris martin or different type of striker that is lighting quick. But that can turn defanders like butter.

But I like what Cocu what is trying build at Derby and make us a force that clubs fear playimg against.

Agree with all of that B4.

I am so glad we have Cocu.

As someone has said on another thread, we should expect the form of the youngsters to be up and down through the season. However, I believe Cocu will manage that very well, resting them when necessary.

What will be key to whether we can challenge for the playoffs - or even the autos - is whether we are able to bring in some creative, pacey forward players. I do believe Marriott will get goals but we still need one or two more up there. ?

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Agree with all of that B4.

I am so glad we have Cocu.

As someone has said on another thread, we should expect the form of the youngsters to be up and down through the season. However, I believe Cocu will manage that very well, resting them when necessary.

What will be key to whether we can challenge for the playoffs - or even the autos - is whether we are able to bring in some creative, pacey forward players. I do believe Marriott will get goals but we still need one or two more up there. ?

What I would consider if I was cocu is to play selby like forward but let roony coach him in this role one on one but I agree we need couple more opapions in forward area. But love to see Marriott and selby play togather upfront.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Depends what title we’re talking about. The Sky Bet Championship? Not a chance in hell. Guinness world record for most pints downed in quick succession? Reckon most our squad would stand a decent chance.

Why not sky bet champership.

I’d like us to add another striker maybe someone like Rey manaj an Albanian 23 year old currently at Barca b team. He’s at an age where he should be playing proper football and not in the third their of Spanish football. He looks class 

7 hours ago, Big Trav said:

I’d like us to add another striker maybe someone like Rey manaj an Albanian 23 year old currently at Barca b team. He’s at an age where he should be playing proper football and not in the third their of Spanish football. He looks class 

Genuine question, how often have you seen him play? Never heard of him.

Well said B4 . I've been away fer a while . Mi and Hilda have parted ways ... final straw wa when she wont pick mi toe nail clippings up off carpet .... any road shes gone so owd miners looking fer a new model ... going back ta wot tha wa sayin abart being a force... I hope so mi owd but fost  we got to beat them scabs darn road.... I'll be reet happy then.  

I personally think that the league this season is the weakest it's been for years. 

There's no stand out team. No team you look at and think "yeah they'll win it"

Even the teams that have come down don't worry me at all.

We should be challenging for the top 6 as an absolute minimum.

But the squad as it is now will be nowhere near the top 6.

We need 2-3 additions in the attacking areas to give us any chance. Because at the minute we have nothing going forward, not much creativity and next to no pace in the team. 

If we can do something about that then we can challenge.

9 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Why not sky bet champership.

We are nowhere near good enough for the top two nor in my opinion the top six. We look better on paper at the back but still have virtually zero creativity from midfield and no forward who can hold up play and hit the back of the net regularly. That might change with new signings but we are not exactly flush financially and so with less than 2 weeks to go before the start of the season I expect another midtable finish. This is something I can live with as long as we get our finances in order and have a controversy free campaign!

48 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I personally think that the league this season is the weakest it's been for years. 

There's no stand out team. No team you look at and think "yeah they'll win it"

Even the teams that have come down don't worry me at all.

We should be challenging for the top 6 as an absolute minimum.

But the squad as it is now will be nowhere near the top 6.

We need 2-3 additions in the attacking areas to give us any chance. Because at the minute we have nothing going forward, not much creativity and next to no pace in the team. 

If we can do something about that then we can challenge.

Prett y much agree with this. The league is anyone's this year. 

Any team that is defensively solid has a chance of being in the top 6. juat need a bit of luck. 

Millwall, Forest, Stoke should all be up there this season. 

Relegated teams often fund it difficult to adjust. 

The concern for us is where the attacking threat will come from. 

We saw at the end of last season that when Lawrence and Waghorn were absent we had nothing going forward. 

Ominously, Lawrence and Waghorn are yet too kick a ball in preseason. 

Dont expect a flying start. 

34 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Prett y much agree with this. The league is anyone's this year. 

Any team that is defensively solid has a chance of being in the top 6. juat need a bit of luck. 

Millwall, Forest, Stoke should all be up there this season. 

Relegated teams often fund it difficult to adjust. 

The concern for us is where the attacking threat will come from. 

We saw at the end of last season that when Lawrence and Waghorn were absent we had nothing going forward. 

Ominously, Lawrence and Waghorn are yet too kick a ball in preseason. 

Dont expect a flying start. 

As it currently stands we are probably weaker than last season.

We've lost Martin who was joint top scorer. Nobody has come in to replace him.

Even with Martin last season we barely posed an attacking threat. Going forward we were so slow and laboured. No pace, no creativity and no spark at all.

This has to be addressed or its another long season.

Wouldn't mind hearing from the manager soon either. See how far away Lawrence, Waghorn, Holmes are from actually playing a game in pre season.

Still find it amazing we haven't had any updates on the players injured at all.

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

This is something I can live with as long as we get our finances in order and have a controversy free campaign!

You have unrealistic wishes!

I think we are more likely to win the division (or be 24th) than have a controversy free campaign. 

Our young players are all getting older, stronger, and more experienced; Bielik and Marriott could be like new signings if they stay fit; our signings (including presumably Jozwiak) seem both shrewd and economically executed; Rooney as super-sub/player-coach is much more exciting than a squad that needs him to play 180 minutes a week; looks possible that Coldplay will have no better option than to come back for half of his previous pay; we've dumped some dead weight (really everyone except FloJo at this point); and, as noted, the division is less intimidating than it's been in a few years.

I'm not giddy with hope but I'm not discouraged, either. Cocu is clearly a good gaffer. If he can get this squad to gel on the field before November, you never know. We can always be miserable later; I prefer to attempt optimism at this point.

Archived