Can Derby fight for title this season

B4ev6is

9 minutes ago, IronRam 140.6 said:

Unfortunately I don't like how he manages games. To dull for me personally. 

I take it to be pragmatism with the aim of not losing and then to win. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, especially now we've lost the ear. Remember the Blackburn game last season, that wasn't dull?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

It's always next season, next summer we could sell all our best players as players like Bird, Bogle and Sibley will have better offers  than a midtable championship team if they keep playing well and we will need to sell to get some money in so next season could a be a midtable struggle like people predict for this year, then Cocu could go if he isn't given funds you can't forsee the long term in a blindly optimistic way where things improve.

Just have to hope the season coming is as good as possible and we bring in a few players that turn out to be astute buys like Martin on a free transfer or Holmes for a few hundred thousand and somehow get promoted, looking at teams like Blackpool and Huddersfield going up it should never be completely out of the question. Should always aim for at least top 6. 

I just believe that what we have done for the past few years hasn’t worked.

We have wasted these past few years money on some nonentities & journeymen and Mel has given managers pretty much total freedom to buy who they want. Yet, despite this we are still where we are after being relegated from the Premier League. 

Something had to change. I like the Dutch model of developing youth, having a seemingly endless pipeline of talent and making a healthy profit on players when we sell them.  Mel knows all of this. It’s also what Cocu is used to. 

We as fans have had a serious sense of entitlement ever since the 1970s. However, our history shows we flit between the top two divisions. If building with youth means that we build a sustainable top division future, I’m personally all for it!

41 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

I just believe that what we have done for the past few years hasn’t worked.

We have wasted these past few years money on some nonentities & journeymen and Mel has given managers pretty much total freedom to buy who they want. Yet, despite this we are still where we are after being relegated from the Premier League. 

Something had to change. I like the Dutch model of developing youth, having a seemingly endless pipeline of talent and making a healthy profit on players when we sell them.  Mel knows all of this. It’s also what Cocu is used to. 

We as fans have had a serious sense of entitlement ever since the 1970s. However, our history shows we flit between the top two divisions. If building with youth means that we build a sustainable top division future, I’m personally all for it!

It's not a sustainable top division future - it's a sustainable future, full stop.

Otherwise, agreed. And watching the interviews, I love listening not just to PC, but van der Weerden and Scheepers as well. For what can be a very short term job, its so refreshing to hear them talk medium-long term.  

Can only hope they're here for a while yet. But this is football. Have to also hope that whoever follows, carries on in the same vein.

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

For what can be a very short term job, its so refreshing to hear them talk medium-long term. 

Can't but think it will be shorter term for them if we show no ambition and are happy to float around the Championship. Even they have said they want a balance of experience and youth - can't see them waiting around long enough for the youth to be that experience!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't but think it will be shorter term for them if we show no ambition and are happy to float around the Championship. Even they have said they want a balance of experience and youth - can't see them waiting around long enough for the youth to be that experience!

But equally, we have to live within our means. Have we learnt nothing from the mistakes of the last few years?

I'm sure they have that ambition. They will want to get as high up the table as possible, but it can't be at a cost to the health of Derby County, and the project.

This will not be a normal season. Half the preparation time, a transfer window lasting 6 weeks into the season... and a dozen teams aiming to do what we want to do, most with parachute payments.

5 hours ago, Jayram said:

Yes but the overarching philosophy is still the same as last season. Keep possession, pass sideways, pass backwards, pass sideways etc. Where is the pace? The penetration?  The speed of thought to get the ball forward? If Cocu doesn’t change this and get some pacy wide midfielder(s)/forward(s) in it’s going to be a long dull season. It may be that he has his targets but this near to the start of the new season it doesn’t bode well.

I don't think he won titles with psv with the philosophy of keeping possession and passing sideways and backwards. This is just an assumption Derby fans make based on some of the football they've seen. But what about the occasions when we do penetrate and move the ball forward with speed? Why don't we consider that to be the thing he's trying to achieve, but instead we believe the slow boring football is?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't we say that when Lampard spent lots of dosh so wisely? And Bielik?

I wasn't happy with Lampard's spending - evidenced by how few are still being used effectively. Holmes, Waghorn and Evans. 

Bielik is one for the future too. And I highly doubt we've paid over half of the quoted £10m fee so far.

14 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I wasn't happy with Lampard's spending - evidenced by how few are still being used effectively. Holmes, Waghorn and Evans. 

Bielik is one for the future too. And I highly doubt we've paid over half of the quoted £10m fee so far.

He’s doing an amazing job on such a tight budget at Chelsea.......Laugh Really Hard Season 10 GIF by ABC Network

31 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I don't think he won titles with psv with the philosophy of keeping possession and passing sideways and backwards. This is just an assumption Derby fans make based on some of the football they've seen. But what about the occasions when we do penetrate and move the ball forward with speed? Why don't we consider that to be the thing he's trying to achieve, but instead we believe the slow boring football is?

That’s great if you have the quality of players to play that way but we don’t, so what is the plan B? As the preseason results have already indicated we again lack quality in the final third just like last season. I am not expecting miracles this coming season I’m really not, but some exciting attacking football would be great. Let’s hope PC has something up his sleeve or it’s going to be a long season.

24 minutes ago, Jayram said:

That’s great if you have the quality of players to play that way but we don’t, so what is the plan B? As the preseason results have already indicated we again lack quality in the final third just like last season. I am not expecting miracles this coming season I’m really not, but some exciting attacking football would be great. Let’s hope PC has something up his sleeve or it’s going to be a long season.

Maybe it is too intricate for the current players but it worked at times last season and I can't see cocu going away from that unless he does utilise Marriott properly and get him running on to through balls in behind the defence. 

On 31/08/2020 at 11:05, therealhantsram said:

Prett y much agree with this. The league is anyone's this year. 

Any team that is defensively solid has a chance of being in the top 6. juat need a bit of luck. 

Millwall, Forest, Stoke should all be up there this season. 

Relegated teams often fund it difficult to adjust. 

The concern for us is where the attacking threat will come from. 

We saw at the end of last season that when Lawrence and Waghorn were absent we had nothing going forward. 

Ominously, Lawrence and Waghorn are yet too kick a ball in preseason. 

Dont expect a flying start. 

Tend to agree. We are likely to struggle initially and it will be a slow start. Hopefully we can at least get tighter in defence, particularly when playing away in London..... 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived