20/21 Notts Bottlers Thread

Day

2 hours ago, JfR said:

Colback and Sow midfield. Looks like they've decided if they can't get promoted, they can at least come top of the disciplinary charts.

It's great to see him trying to replicate their club badge with his head and hair, he looks about as impressive as their duff shirt!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David said:

What is this ?

I always think of Macron as a Costco own clothing brand. This just strengthens this view.

Do Macron only manufacture kits for clubs that have been in League 1?

AA2F2AAC-55A8-4EC4-9D61-840530211D8F.jpeg

Why does the Leeds away strip have a Forest badge on it?

On 13/08/2020 at 13:20, David said:

What is this ?

I always think of Macron as a Costco own clothing brand. This just strengthens this view.

Do Macron only manufacture kits for clubs that have been in League 1?

AA2F2AAC-55A8-4EC4-9D61-840530211D8F.jpeg

Whoever thought this was a good idea? Here it is in real life. 

Designed to make any athlete look like they have a beer belly! 

Screenshot_20200814-152947.png

25 minutes ago, David said:

Forest doing their best to ramp up their average age of the squad, first Colback and now Taylor, that’s a combined age of 60 for their first 2 signings

With their respective world views, how long do we reckon it's going to be before Lolley lamps him in a training session?

He might be getting on a bit, but Taylor is another very good signing by Forest - provided he’s only on a short term contract. Another championship goalscorer to add to their ranks, on a free as well. Pretty sure the Charlton fans really rate him. 

It might be quite short-termist, but you can’t deny Forest have done some pretty decent business so far.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He might be getting on a bit, but Taylor is another very good signing by Forest - provided he’s only on a short term contract. Another championship goalscorer to add to their ranks, on a free as well. Pretty sure the Charlton fans really rate him. 

It might be quite short-termist, but you can’t deny Forest have done some pretty decent business so far.

3 yr deal incoming.

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

Apparently Grabban set to leave the Dogs this week to sign for a London club thought to be Brentford.

Surely there's no chance that Brentford would waste money on a 32 year old Grabban when they've probably got a list as long as your arm of talented, under 25yr old scoring sensations.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Surely there's no chance that Brentford would waste money on a 32 year old Grabban when they've probably got a list as long as your arm of talented, under 25yr old scoring sensations.

Deffo going to a London club. Suppose it depends if Brentford are trading in their BMW for an old banger in the short term ? 

10 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Apparently Grabban set to leave the Dogs this week to sign for a London club thought to be Brentford. Swapped a 20 goal a season old striker for a slightly younger 11 goal a season striker who goes on strike with a poor fitness record. Sounds good to me ?

Surely someone must be on the way out, Taylor would make a squad of 29 players

55 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Deffo going to a London club. Suppose it depends if Brentford are trading in their BMW for an old banger in the short term ? 

Palace, Fulham, Millwall even? It wouldn't seem to be Brentfords style of signing, but theres a few clubs in London I could see giving him a go.

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I think their business has been abysmal so far! 

Colback, a 30 year old who’s already tried, and failed to get Forest promoted, or even into the playoffs!  He’s literally Ben Watson’s replacement, no worse, no better

As for Lyle Taylor. . .

He’s had 1 season in the championship. . . 1!

The blokes 30 years old and played for nigh on 400 clubs doing absolutely nothing of note until last year. 

He is literally Nick Blackman MK2, I sincerely hope Forest keep up this level of recruitment, they’re going absolutely nowhere!

A 3 year deal and no doubt silly wages  for a 30 year old who’s notoriety in football is for refusing to get stuck in to a relegation scrap whilst under contract at Charlton. . . 

I’d be appalled if we signed him, we’d have learned absolutely nothing from previous journeyman signings looking for 1 last big contract, it appears Forest haven’t either! 

Louie Spence will be gone by Christmas, awful, awful recruitment from Forest 

I have to say, I've not really gotten the hype that's been around Taylor this season. A 30-year old lower league journeyman who has only ever played 22 games at this level and who has had bad injury problems this season, and one who would be expecting fairly large wages and a fairly lengthy contract. Just seems an odd player profile for a club with ambitions to get into the top flight. 

I'm also not convinced that he's as much of a raw goalscorer as he's made out to be. He has previously put up good numbers in the lower-tiers, but when you dig into it you see that those numbers are inflated by penalties, sometimes massively so. This year, for example, he got 11 goals, but 4 were from penalties (over 1/3 of his goals), only 7 were from open play (and 2 of those were against the club he now plays for). Likewise, In 18/19 at Charlton, he got 21 goals in League One, an impressive return, but that includes 8 penalties (around 40% of that total), only 13 being from open play. 

In fact, he's only got a double-digit return for open-play league goals in five of the seasons he's played since 2008: 13 for Charlton in League One in 18/19, 11 for Wimbledon in League One in 17/18, 19 for Wimbledon in League Two in 15/16, 23 for Falkirk in the Scottish second-tier in 12/13, and when he got a total of 34 goals for Concord Rangers in the Isthmian Division One North (8th tier) back in 09/10 (I can't find penalty statistics for that level, but I'm assuming he didn't score 25 penalties).

I'd also say that if he doesn't work out at Forest, he has the potential to be a real thorn in their side. He's been pretty open about the fact that he's after one big payday while he still has the chance, and you'd have to imagine that he's chosen Forest as they're the club that have offered him the most money. If he falls out of favour, they might struggle to find a club willing to match his wages, and I doubt that he'd be willing to leave for less money when, at this point in his career, the money is what he wants. I think he could easily become pricey deadwood for them.

I do think Jack Colback's not a bad signing, though. Played for them before and did a decent enough job, and could prove to be a younger, possibly cheaper, and arguably slightly better replacement for Ben Watson when he leaves. Not a signing that will move them forwards, but I think he's a good replacement.

Archived