"Cocu Ball"

WamRam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure anything significant needs changing. Obviously we're short of quality in 2 or 3 positions but this has itself been exacerbated by a catalogue of injuries and most recently some daft, self-inflicted suspensions. 

It's a shame things have rather petered out over the last few games but it's not so much the style of football that's the cause of it, but a series of comedy errors that have cost us dear.

I'm still genuinely excited for next season and hopefully with Bielik, te Wierk, a bit of pace and perhaps a reliable keeper added to the squad, we're going to be a handful for anyone.

movement in front of the ball has been appalling whether that is in front of Clarke or Evans or Rooney Bird or Sibley, even throw ins and freekicks.

I was getting frustrated with our guys on the ball then I noticed that they largely had no options other than to go backwards or sideways at best.

And I agree a plan B is definitely required continuing to  the same thing that has yielded very little in the 89th minute when you are one goal down is madness.

Cocu has been hamstrung by the players he has had at his disposal and I think he has done a very decent job of it and if there hadn’t been so many idiotic mistakes this season we could even have been near the top two which is amazing and we have developed a lot of youngsters 

As others have said it looks to me like a problem with the personnel rather than the philosophy.

We have played slick, attractive, purposeful, attacking football this season but can’t seem to do it consistently.

This points to the personnel for me. The glaringly obvious thing recent games is the lack of pace, movement and bravery in the attacking third with only Sibley really offering these traits.

We need to get in a couple of players with pace, movement, bravery and creativity to make things happen and break through the lines.

This is desperately needed and would lift the other players who tend to get stuck in a safety first rut when things aren’t going for us.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

purposeful, attacking football this season but can’t seem to do it consistently.

I debate this part. We have not played attacking football this season, hence why we have a lower goal tally than we've had in a lot of years. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I debate this part. We have not played attacking football this season, hence why we have a lower goal tally than we've had in a lot of years. 

Each to their own.

I think we played some good stuff after rooney came in. 

Earlier in the season then yes I’d definitely agree we played some dull stuff for long periods

33 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wasn't there a thread 3 or 4 games ago comparing Cocu's results against Lampard's, and we had exactly the same figures except for 2 more goals conceded? I don't remember anyone saying that Frank didn't play attacking football.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Wasn't there a thread 3 or 4 games ago comparing Cocu's results against Lampard's, and we had exactly the same figures except for 2 more goals conceded? I don't remember anyone saying that Frank didn't play attacking football.

58 goal scored this season so far and by the end of last season under Frank we had 69, so unless we bang 11 in the next two we're not scoring the same amount of goals. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

58 goal scored this season so far and by the end of last season under Frank we had 69, so unless we bang 11 in the next two we're not scoring the same amount of goals. 

No, I can't see it either. However up until the last couple of games my point still stands. Yes we will finish with fewer goals than last year, undoubtedly, but over 40 games we scored the same number. Frank was considered attack minded, Cocu defensive.

9 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

Agreed, two key words for me speed and power. If we can add those qualities we'll be a decent side.

Don’t even think you need that, just movement. Our only willing runners are Marriott and Knight. Everybody else wants it to feet, granted Waghorn, Sibley and Lawrence will make runs.

There’s nobody on here who is more pessimistic than me?

However.....I think we are on the edge of something and that’s from someone who saw his first game in 1963. 

If you’ve been Rams fan for that long, you’ve had great highs and horrible lows. There’s lots to like about Philip Cocu. In my view, there is another high just around the corner. 2 or 3 new players of the right kind and we’re ready to go. Have we got the money? Will the EFL shaft us? Who knows but you can’t help but be a little excited with the young ones about to enter the real world of football. 

I’ll be supporting through thick and thin as I have for the best part of 60 years. No crying when someone makes a mistake, no throwing the dummy out if we lose a match we should have won. It makes life so much more enjoyable?

8 hours ago, richinspain said:

No, I can't see it either. However up until the last couple of games my point still stands. Yes we will finish with fewer goals than last year, undoubtedly, but over 40 games we scored the same number. Frank was considered attack minded, Cocu defensive.

I believe for a large part of this season we were actually creating more chances than under Frank. One huge difference is Marriott. He was so clinical last season. Waghorn also has probably taken less of his chances. 

taking away 25 goals from mount and wilson will have an effect. Indeed a lack of goal-scorers was my assessment before we kicked off and was why I predicted 8th. 
however the risk averse, safety first passing, has become a thing in itself. we are very tame for lengthy spells. Yet for 20 minutes we demonstrated just what is possible with the same players. We are in a glass half full, glass half empty scenario. For some that 20minutes holds the promise of a bright future.

For others, the law of General Negativity (we meet ourselves coming backwards) is becoming a problem in itself. Versus Cardiff it eventually cost us two goals and sent me to sleep. 

18 hours ago, Andicis said:

Whilst obviously we can't add extra players this season, for the last two games I just want us to up the speed of our passing. We take too many touches and it's too slow and predictable. We also need to take risks in possession, and not in our own half. 

That's the one thing I cant understand, we seem happy taking risks on the edge of our own area but as soon as we get in the opposition half it's always the safe ball.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's the one thing I cant understand, we seem happy taking risks on the edge of our own area but as soon as we get in the opposition half it's always the safe ball.

One of the problems now is that the opposition play high press and it’s difficult to work your way out.  The long ball is often not an option and don’t forget we have to have the ability to hold the ball in the final 3rd. 

30 minutes ago, Curtains said:

One of the problems now is that the opposition play high press and it’s difficult to work your way out.  The long ball is often not an option and don’t forget we have to have the ability to hold the ball in the final 3rd. 

But even despite high pressing we are having the lions share of the ball in most games:-

Cardiff - 61%

West Brom - 59%

Forest - 69%

We are just not doing enough with it.

One bad result and we just instantly reverted to what we were doing in the first half of the season.

Slow passing, first touch always back towards our own goal.

The problem then becomes that if you make a mistake when doing this we are instantly in trouble.

Archived