Where did all the money go?

sage

7 minutes ago, Ramfambo said:

Can’t debate the list but must admit I don’t recall loads of shouts of “no not him” when we signed them. Most has a decent pedigree and generated some excitement when they arrived. Wasn’t Blackman top scorer in the league when we signed him? The concern for me is that good players on paper and at other clubs don’t work out for us for one reason or another. Frequent turnaround in manager and each one wanting his own team probably added to it (player feels wanted and valued by the guy who signs him only to have to prove himself again to the new guy maybe).

Remember we were up against Sheff Wed for Blackman and desperately hoping they would sign him. He got 13 goals for Reading in the first quarter of the season after a long time on there bench and years jobbing around League one .  Also remember thinking we were insane to pay 4 million for Butterfield .  On the other side thought Johnson and resigning Shackell were great moves and they didn't work out as well as i hoped. Best value for money signing was probably Vydra- in the end and the much maligned Ince. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Also didn’t we get £11m for Hendrick too

I've a feeling it was 10.5 following Burnleys normal starting bid of anything you want from the old jockstraps in the lost and found box followed by an increased bid of a weekend in Southport with a fish supper. 

7 years and in my eyes we’ve actually gone backwards as a club. The money wasted, the relationships with clubs and the EFL tarnished. We finished 10th in 2012/13 , we’re on for a very similar finish this season with players and staff on much higher wages.

32 minutes ago, Dcfc_20 said:

7 years and in my eyes we’ve actually gone backwards as a club. The money wasted, the relationships with clubs and the EFL tarnished. We finished 10th in 2012/13 , we’re on for a very similar finish this season with players and staff on much higher wages.

How do you think Mel must feel? What would he give to be where he was in 2013 with no ffp rubbish and a big pile of lolly....?

Thorne £3.5m - 5 (10 for ability, less 5 for lack of availability)

Ince £6m - 10 (great player for us and a decent profit made for us. Career in freefall since his old man gobbled off about how good he was)

Weimann £2.75m - 5 (was a half decent player never used correctly, never lacked effort. Recouped a chunk of the fee)

Shackell £3m - 2 (average player who's attitude stunk)

Butterfield £4m - 3 (started well but faded and lost confidence. A better player than he showed here)

Johnson £6m - 3 (liked the guy, always put in a shift and was just another player not used correctly. Very little value for money at the price though)

Camara £1.25m - 0 (awful player)

Blackman £2.5m - 0 (awful player)

Vydra £8m - 10 (technically very good, top scorer and a tidy profit)

Anya £4.5m - 1 (though he showed promise just not played enough because of other factors)

Nugent £2.5m - 7 (obviously in the twilight of his career but still had 2 decent campaigns with him in the team. A good influence on the dressing room by all accounts)

Lawrence £6m - 4 (hit and miss, interesting to see what fee we get if we sell him)

Wisdom £3m - 3 (not seen enough of him in his second spell here, was growing into his CB role before the stabbing)

Olsson £1.5m - 2 (just wasnt very good, certainly no better than anything we already had. Extra point for a goal against the Red Dogs)

Josefzoon £1.5m - 1 (purely for his performance away at Hull in the cup. Downhill ever since then)

Marriott £4m - 5 (he has the ability, just needs to prove he has the right attitude to match)

Waghorn £6m - 5 (solid Championship player, we just paid way over the odds

Malone £2.5m - 2 (we didnt need him at the time and he has done nothing to make me change that opinion)

Bielik £8m - 3 (we've paid for potential. Needs to settle in a position and prove it was a wise buy. Not overly impressed with what I have seen so far)

Thorne £3.5m - 5

Ince £6m - 9

Weimann £2.75m - 4

Shackell £3m - 5

Butterfield £4m - 5

Johnson £6m - 7

Camara £1.25m - 3

Blackman £2.5m - 0

Vydra £8m - 9

Anya £4.5m - 0

Nugent £2.5m - 6

Lawrence £6m - 6

Wisdom £3m - 6

Olsson £1.5m - 5

Josefzoon £1.5m - 2

Marriott £4m - 6

Waghorn £6m - 5

Malone £2.5m - 3

Bielik £8m - inconclusive

9 hours ago, sage said:

Here is a list of all the £1m+ signings we have made post QPR Wembley Final. Assuming a £1m a year salary, give them a value for money mark out of 10, based on how they played, impact on the team and fee, if any, we received for them. 

Please note is is often difficult to get an accurate fee.

Thorne £3.5m            4

Ince £6m                    8.5

Weimann £2.75m        6.5

Shackell £3m              5

Butterfield £4m          4

Johnson £6m              4.5

Camara £1.25m            3.5

Blackman £2.5m           3.5

Vydra £8m                    8

Anya £4.5m                  4

Nugent £2.5m              5

Lawrence £6m             5.5

Wisdom £3m                 6

Olsson £1.5m                4

Josefzoon £1.5m           4

Marriott £4m                 5.5

Waghorn £6m                6

Malone £2.5m                5

Bielik £8m                      5.5

11 hours ago, sage said:

Thorne £3.5m - 7 can’t blame George for what happened. Not sure what the problem is with him. 

Ince £6m - 5 not my type of player, even though we made a profit 

Weimann £2.75m - 7 we got our money back 

Shackell £3m - 6 improved the defence, I liked the fact he left Burnley for us

Butterfield £4m - 3 poor

Johnson £6m - 5 silly money, 

Camara £1.25m - 3 how could anyone sign that? 

Blackman £2.5m - 1 

Vydra £8m - 9 good player, good profit

Anya £4.5m - 0 absolutely ridiculous signing 

Nugent £2.5m - 5 worked hard but we were bound to lose our money

Lawrence £6m - 5 I’d sell,  A poor man’s ince

Wisdom £3m - 6 ok and getting better

Olsson £1.5m - 6 a bargain compared to malone

Josefzoon £1.5m - 3 -  not sure what frank was thinking

Marriott £4m - 5 wait and see

Waghorn £6m - 5 

Malone £2.5m - 1 rubbish

Bielik £8m -2 this is going to be another stinker

11 hours ago, nottingram said:

Thorne £3.5m - 2 (although down to rotten luck)

Ince £6m - 9

Weimann £2.75m - 4

Shackell £3m - 2

Butterfield £4m - 2

Johnson £6m - 4

Camara £1.25m - 2

Blackman £2.5m - 0

Vydra £8m - 8

Anya £4.5m - 0

Nugent £2.5m - 2

Lawrence £6m - 7

Wisdom £3m - 5

Olsson £1.5m - 4

Josefzoon £1.5m - 3

Marriott £4m - 5

Waghorn £6m - 4

Malone £2.5m - 3

Bielik £8m - 5

Can't agree with the Waghorn score.....must be 7 at least?

11 hours ago, Topram said:

Bit harsh on Weimann I think for that money he did okay more like a 6

£2,750,000 was still a lot when we signed him, have to think that it’s only the Neymar signing in 2017 that triggered mental fees

9 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Just looked on Transfer Market briefly and according to them from season 16/17 to 19/20 we are showing a transfer profit of approx £2m ??‍♂️

That doesn’t include the £8,000,000 we’ve received for Rowett, Lampard and Liam Delap (although some of TransferMarkt’s fees are shown as if all add-ons are paid).

5 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Wasn't part of the Shackell fee paid for by some Sky Sports competition?

Only £250,000. One hundredth of what we spent on transfer fees alone that season ?

10 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Although undisclosed, I expect we paid at least £1m for Scott Carson.

Some absolute shockers in that list Sage!

Carson was really cheap. Wigan has just gone down. Although, to this day, I still have no problem with Grant! 

Archived