Where did all the money go?

sage

38 minutes ago, cannable said:

Marcus Olsson was like £500,000 wasn’t he? Only had six months left on his Blackburn contract 

Yes, lived next door to my mate of Duffield Rd, very nice bloke but his wife was a pain in the arse. Thought Waghorn was 4 rising to 5 if we won the world cup. Thought Marriott was 3 rising to 4 the same. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamontheMoor said:

Can't agree with the Waghorn score.....must be 7 at least?

Based on performances alone he is in a similar boat to Johnson. A good player who has given us a lot during his time here.

But both were signed with zero chance of any sort of resale, so I struggle to class them as decent vale for money, really. The sort of signing where if you get promoted while they’re here it doesn’t matter what they cost

23 hours ago, sage said:

Here is a list of all the £1m+ signings we have made post QPR Wembley Final. Assuming a £1m a year salary, give them a value for money mark out of 10, based on how they played, impact on the team and fee, if any, we received for them. 

Please note is is often difficult to get an accurate fee.

Thorne £3.5m - 9 on his day 4 overall due to bad luck

Ince £6m - 8 got most our money back didn't we

Weimann £2.75m - 8 liked him - do not think he was given a fair crack - got some of our money back right ?

Shackell £3m - 8 solid

Butterfield £4m - 6 again could/should have been better

Johnson £6m - 8 I was a fan, tried his heart out

Camara £1.25m - 0 nuff said

Blackman £2.5m - 0 ditto

Vydra £8m - I guess 10 cos we got more than this back right ?

Anya £4.5m - 2 seemed like a tryer with some talent (Scottish International right ?) must have been something going on back stage for so many managers to pass him by

Nugent £2.5m - 6 solid did what it said on the tin

Lawrence £6m - 4 we are going to lose money on him surely - he is one drink/car accident/sending off from it all going up in smoke

Wisdom £3m - 8 starting to become a good centre half who can cover right back

Olsson £1.5m - 3 who? did not see enough of him

Josefzoon £1.5m - 2 A far superior version of Camara

Marriott £4m - 7 - There is something in there - we need to work out how to get it out

Waghorn £6m - 7 works tirelessly for the team whatever position

Malone £2.5m - 4 struggled to see why we bought him when we already had 17 left backs

Bielik £8m - hard to say yet - hoping for great things in the mould of Huddlestone/Thorne - definately has the potential.

Some of the figures here are so exaggerated from what the actual cost is and seem to balloon with each extra day! Yes Bielik might be our record signing but I believe a big portion of his fee depends on our performance. I think we've only paid about £4-5m so far for him.

15 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Some of the figures here are so exaggerated from what the actual cost is and seem to balloon with each extra day! Yes Bielik might be our record signing but I believe a big portion of his fee depends on our performance. I think we've only paid about £4-5m so far for him.

Oh that’s okay then we have learned our lesson.

8 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I do think Bradley Johnson gets a bit of a bad rap. So many marking him as 3 when he was quite important for a decent stretch of time. 141 appearances is not to be sniffed at. Yes we overpaid - but that's not a player's fault. 

Certainly wouldn’t have made the play offs last season without him.

23 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I do think Bradley Johnson gets a bit of a bad rap. So many marking him as 3 when he was quite important for a decent stretch of time. 141 appearances is not to be sniffed at. Yes we overpaid - but that's not a player's fault. 

I think there's a discrepancy in perception where expectations of a signing aren't necessarily met, but we have ended up with getting good milage out the player. Bradders wasn't the key signing we all hoped when he signed for Derby City, but like Weimann, Johnson gave good service for a number of seasons.

It's like when you get a new second hand car and there's problems or disappointment initially but you end running it a good stint anyway you might not think it as good a car as it actually has been.

23 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Certainly wouldn’t have made the play offs last season without him.

And I believe he was vital in that run of wins under Mac2 that got us up the table. 

Half the time I don't think we used him properly but he always put the effort in and never hid on the pitch. I felt sorry for him at the end as we hung him out to dry and gave him the same shoddy deal as Butterfield. He deserves a few marks alone for not sulking and forcing his way back in.

Archived