Tribunal Update

Shipley Ram

I don't know what some journalists have got to do to please some of you lot. You moan about Nicholson , who was a decent journalist back in the days when newspapers were still worth reading. You moan about the Athletic, which is trying to offer something different with more in-depth content right across football. 

Tough crowd! 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I don't know what some journalists have got to do to please some of you lot. You moan about Nicholson , who was a decent journalist back in the days when newspapers were still worth reading. You moan about the Athletic, which is trying to offer something different with more in-depth content right across football. 

Tough crowd! 

Steve Nicholson is a decent journalist, his coverage of Derby has been exemplary over 4 decades and learning from the best in Gerald. Not his fault the world has moved on from print and is now about click bait articles online. The DET is pretty soulless now but Steve still comes into his own when it comes to match day coverage and assessments.

As for the Athletic it does offer something completely different and I think it’s a breath of fresh air, particularly the tactical insight. I think Ryan Conway has written some excellent pieces offering both tactical insight and some really good feature pieces, he’s clearly built some good relationships within the club which is the art of a good journalist. 

I think it’s well worth the money personally.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Tough crowd! 

I don't subscribe but everything I've seen of the Athletic looks like they've got a decent product.

I feel sorry for Nicholson, victim of circumstances for local papers (although I detest the DET website). People got very used to the idea that everything a newspaper did could be had for free online, so why buy the paper?

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't subscribe but everything I've seen of the Athletic looks like they've got a decent product.

I feel sorry for Nicholson, victim of circumstances for local papers (although I detest the DET website). People got very used to the idea that everything a newspaper did could be had for free online, so why buy the paper?

I think what tends to get forgotten about in the Nicholson debates is that the DET effectively had to change their target demographic very quickly. It went from local circulation of loyal, although ageing custom, to a more youthful ‘I need everything right now and you need to show off how good you are or else’ audience on twitter. That’s not an easy change to make because you can’t spread a few DCFC articles over 5 days and spend your time going to watch youth/local games in the week (his knowledge of both Rooney and Huddlestone as kids is pretty insightful so I’m slightly presuming that was what he was doing). Add to the fact that The Athletic then swoop in and are more adapted to take that role it all becomes very difficult. 

I think the DET needs to consider what it wants to be there a little more than it does. An article on rumours isn’t interesting, some player/tactics analysis and more focus on the non league sides then I’d defo take more of a ponder 

7 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think what tends to get forgotten about in the Nicholson debates is that the DET effectively had to change their target demographic very quickly. It went from local circulation of loyal, although ageing custom, to a more youthful ‘I need everything right now and you need to show off how good you are or else’ audience on twitter. That’s not an easy change to make because you can’t spread a few DCFC articles over 5 days and spend your time going to watch youth/local games in the week (his knowledge of both Rooney and Huddlestone as kids is pretty insightful so I’m slightly presuming that was what he was doing). Add to the fact that The Athletic then swoop in and are more adapted to take that role it all becomes very difficult. 

I think the DET needs to consider what it wants to be there a little more than it does. An article on rumours isn’t interesting, some player/tactics analysis and more focus on the non league sides then I’d defo take more of a ponder 

A useable website would be a big help.

Quality over qty always works in the long run IMO unless you have a significant market presence - I.e a McDonalds.

Perhaps if they wrote actual articles instead of copying tweets , other papers news , spreading the same story into 5 differently worded clickbait titles they might be thought of in a better light. 

I think what tends to get forgotten about in the Nicholson debates is that the DET effectively had to change their target demographic very quickly. It went from local circulation of loyal, although ageing custom, to a more youthful ‘I need everything right now and you need to show off how good you are or else’ audience on twitter.

They had to adapt their audience because technology has advanced - we're not living in the 19th century anymore. Their options were adapt or die and like all of the old newspaper brands they have done a half arsed job at adapting. 

I don't really think you can blame the youth for not having any interest in an old fashioned medium of communication when you have all of the worlds information at your fingertips at the touch of a button. They have no-one to blame for their demise but themselves.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I don't really think you can blame the youth for not having any interest in an old fashioned medium of communication when you have all of the worlds information at your fingertips at the touch of a button. They have no-one to blame for their demise but themselves.

I suppose the difficulty is that with 'near instantaneous' communications why pay to read something that is tomorrows chip paper in a couple of hours? 

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A useable website would be a big help.

Quality over qty always works in the long run IMO unless you have a significant market presence - I.e a McDonalds.

I personally agree but because some blokes  on a forum say we want quality that doesn’t automatically mean £££ in the DET back pocket long term. They’ve got themselves into a mess they now can’t get out of.

13 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Perhaps if they wrote actual articles instead of copying tweets , other papers news , spreading the same story into 5 differently worded clickbait titles they might be thought of in a better light. 

Well yeah that’s kinda the point the point about the USP. Do you want to be seen as the transfer gossip site or a legit local paper. The problem is that a revenue stream probably answers the questions rather than what a reporter would be ideally doing 

30 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He could write an article.

As 15 year old lad I always read the Trader as soon as it arrived, he had a style of writing which was almost a written version of Graham Richards for me.

Me too. They were often well considered opinion pieces and he wasn't afraid to criticise the club if necessary.

11 minutes ago, GenBr said:

They had to adapt their audience because technology has advanced - we're not living in the 19th century anymore. Their options were adapt or die and like all of the old newspaper brands they have done a half arsed job at adapting. 

Woah there! I’m not blaming the youth, it was always going to go that way, I’m saying it’s a different style of journalism that isn’t easy to navigate. Many big national Journalists still consistently get that balance wrong so it’s no surprise they struggle on a local level too.

Anyone else think the delay could be us and the EFL coming to a mutual agreement on the amortisation policy? 

Makes sense thats why we havent submitted this years financial figures as if they no longer like how we do it they will need changing but at the same time they originally signed them off, so if they are to be amended for past accounts it cant be where it results in a huge financial impact to us as we have done years of negotiations off the back of it being ok.

So agree a policy, change & work out the figures then a statement to say not guilty as was signed off but we have now changed to fall in line with the EFL agreement.

I still buy the DET but the website is worse than useless. All the newspapers need to learn ... you can’t charge what you could for a printed paper ... They have a 10th of the cost,  production and distribution of a physical object. No trucks, no news agents no hot metal no printing machines 

you should be able to run a newspaper on line without stupid pop ups .. 10p a go micro PayPal / Apple Pay or whatever ... but they don’t .. they want a massive sub AND ads that wreck the reading experience. 

imagine .. you get an alert like sky or BBC .. Go to the story, pay 10p/20p If you want to continue .. read the whole paper 

I’d do it .. But I avoid the website as it is now .. horrible flickering garbage

28 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Anyone else think the delay could be us and the EFL coming to a mutual agreement on the amortisation policy? 

Makes sense thats why we havent submitted this years financial figures as if they no longer like how we do it they will need changing but at the same time they originally signed them off, so if they are to be amended for past accounts it cant be where it results in a huge financial impact to us as we have done years of negotiations off the back of it being ok.

So agree a policy, change & work out the figures then a statement to say not guilty as was signed off but we have now changed to fall in line with the EFL agreement.

Nah, they are probably waiting to see we start next season before deciding which season they want the points deduction in.

Archived