Live football thread.

Rev

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I'll throw this out there and wait for the football hipsters among us (especially @Bris Vegas) to come at me but, I find Cit-eh really boring to watch.  It's all to clinical, all to precise, it's like watching a metronome.  Give me Klopp's style any day as there's always a element of chaos, that it can all go completely tits up at any second.

You just described City there. They’ve had far more chaotic games than Liverpool this season, and I think they lose control of games more than Liverpool do.

Liverpool are amazing to watch, no doubt.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I very rarely buy into refereeing conspiracy theories, but the decisions he made in extra time (didn't catch the game in normal time) were utterly bizarre. Topped off by blowing early too.

I think if the ref had been corrupt, he could have been far more decisive in favour of Real.  He could have considered Walker's push on Vinicius a foul..and sent him off as last man back.  It would have been very harsh, but I've definitely seen fouls given for less. He could have given a second penalty against Man City in extra time after the ball brushed a Man City arm in the box.  Again not the right call, but those are the sort of decisions he would have been making if he was actually corrupt.

He was very lenient throughout the match, let lots of challenges go and didn't book players when he probably should have (Casemiro repeatedly) and his time keeping in extra time was clearly wildly inaccurate. There was another 3 minutes to play at least.  But refs are often really bad at time-keeping, that part of the reason teams waste time in the first place.  Waste 2 minutes and the ref typically adds on 1.  But if he was corrupt in favour of Madrid...then he had basically failed completely until an absurd Real comeback bailed him out. 

I don't know how Man City are being accused of being boring after being involved in one of the most entertaining European Cup semi-finals in history.  It was absolutely bonkers.

4 hours ago, Derbados said:

1.2 billion spent since he took over. . . Let that sink in 

It’s not actually that much when you consider how many players they have signed and who they have signed.

United’s spend is far worse.

I think Fernandinho is the only survivor from when Pep took over City. It’s probably what you would expect to spend on an entire squad who want to challenge on all fronts.

9 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I'll throw this out there and wait for the football hipsters among us (especially @Bris Vegas) to come at me but, I find Cit-eh really boring to watch.  It's all to clinical, all to precise, it's like watching a metronome.  Give me Klopp's style any day as there's always a element of chaos, that it can all go completely tits up at any second.

I agree. I really want to like City, cos they have a lot of England players playing for them. Liverpool have comparatively few. But I just prefer the style and passion of Liverpool. City seems far too sterile. Even their colour looks like surgical scrubs. 

42 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Franco's team. Don't ever want them to win anything.

Plus the telly programme on this week reported that the Real Madrid president was the leading light in trying to bring about the doomed Super League. He reckons his club is too big for the Spanish League and continues to push for a European Super League

For this reason alone I hope Liverpool do one on them and I'm no fan of the Scousers.

45 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Franco's team. Don't ever want them to win anything.

Come on. A long time ago. Would you not install any Neff kitchen ware because they made the concentration camp ovens to burn corpses, or refuse to wear Hugo Boss clothes because they designed and made Gestapo and SS uniforms?

Would you refuse to watch the Ghana football team because the largest tribe, the Asante, were one of the biggest slave owning and slave trading tribes. I mean where does it stop?

36 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Come on. A long time ago. Would you not install any Neff kitchen ware because they made the concentration camp ovens to burn corpses, or refuse to wear Hugo Boss clothes because they designed and made Gestapo and SS uniforms?

Would you refuse to watch the Ghana football team because the largest tribe, the Asante, were one of the biggest slave owning and slave trading tribes. I mean where does it stop?

Oh, pop. My kitchen is full of Neff stuff, and my wardrobe is full of Hugo boss that my wife buys me. Looks like it’s bonfire time. 

52 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I don't wear Hugo Boss for that very reason. Don't know about the other stuff.

The reason Real Madrid were able to establish themselves is they had the full economic and political support of a fascist state.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't wear Hugo Boss for that very reason. Don't know about the other stuff.

The reason Real Madrid were able to establish themselves is they had the full economic and political support of a fascist state.

Derby County were touring Germany giving nazi salutes just before World War 2 started. Virtually all of the largest companies in Germany today benefitted from forced labour or contributed to the war effort or contributed to the holocaust. I doubt you've managed to avoid using any of their products for your entire life. 

Many British companies were also built on the backs of colonial atrocities. It seems very silly to single out Real Madrid just because they were at one point backed by a fascist dictator. Franco has been dead for almost 50 years for gods sake.