Marcus Rashford

Parsnip

36 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

To the latter, I'm always interested in this sort of thing, so don't take this as a dig or anything like that, more of a fact finding mission on my part.

I researched this (sad I know but my job entails this sort of thing) and the company have been engaged in providing school meals for many, many years. It appears they have gone through the process of tendering on several occasions and have been awarded the contract by the local authorities not the government, of which  interesting appears to be both parties. I thought, obviously wrong, as they were on the PSL, this was why they were on the list to provide these school meals. I take it somewhere I have my information wrong ?

If you're genuinely interested then the article linked below might offer further guidance. Chartwell, the contractor, is part of the Compass Group who have something of a chequered history as regards food standards. The are however, the largest catering group in the world and both their lobbying activities and significant political donations inevitably lead to some concerns.

Perhaps the questions that should be asked are why the contract was not tendered, but more pertinently, why a catering company is being used at all. Parents could be offered simple credits to redeem direct with the major supermarket chains. A click and collect facility would also avoid costly delivery charges, meaning that more money could be spent on food rather than logistics as well as ensuring that outlets themselves could still meet the demands of those on the vulnerable list who are completely dependent on doorstep deliveries. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/chartwells-free-school-meals-history-b1786258.html

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

If you're genuinely interested then the article linked below might offer further guidance. Chartwell, the contractor, is part of the Compass Group who have something of a chequered history as regards food standards. The are however, the largest catering group in the world and both their lobbying activities and significant political donations inevitably lead to some concerns.

Perhaps the questions that should be asked are why the contract was not tendered, but more pertinently, why a catering company is being used at all. Parents could be offered simple credits to redeem direct with the major supermarket chains. A click and collect facility would also avoid costly delivery charges, meaning that more money could be spent on food rather than logistics as well as ensuring that outlets themselves could still meet the demands of those on the vulnerable list who are completely dependent on doorstep deliveries. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/chartwells-free-school-meals-history-b1786258.html

You criticise my posts on this topic then plagiarize my last one. ?

45 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/chartwells-free-school-me

46 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

als-history-b1786258.html

Why would I not be interested. The reason I asked about the contract being tendered was because the poster said this was the case, however I couldn't see that anywhere and wondering if they got mixed up with the previous voucher scheme ?

As for your question though, yes that is also relevant. I believe that the school has been tasked to provide these school parcels, which they are not happy with and are appealing. This was partly down to the voucher scheme being abused (although possibly not solely), for example people selling these for below face value and therefore a risk the child never sees the benefit.

Whilst I'm not defending the catering company, we also seem to have a few facts that are not quite right, the parcel was for 5 days and at a much lower cost than stated, still very much sub standard though, don't get me wrong on that. Are we now condemning the whole scheme based upon this one parcel ? What about the other companies, are they meeting the standards ?

As I said, not defending this in any way, but once again it appears to me to be lazy journalism based on sensational headlines that have been distorted along the way, with posters then adding in a few additional bits based upon unfounded research. 

That all said, the one good thing is that it's getting the attention it deserves to ensure the vulnerable get the possible chance to get the food and hopefully a scheme that will achieve this will, or is in place.

Just now, BIllyD said:

Why would I not be interested. The reason I asked about the contract being tendered was because the poster said this was the case, however I couldn't see that anywhere and wondering if they got mixed up with the previous voucher scheme ?

You may be right. I read something but couldn't recall the details. 

The problem is not with Chartwell/Compass. Their reason for being is to make money for shareholders, whether the contract is with government or a factory canteen makes absolutely no difference to them. Their managers will be targeted to make the most profit they possibly can from that contract.

The problem is squarely on the government. Once the decision was made to allocate £30 to provide food to the needy, then a govt department should have been given a target to make sure that the full amount makes it to those its intended for.

54 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The problem is not with Chartwell/Compass. Their reason for being is to make money for shareholders, whether the contract is with government or a factory canteen makes absolutely no difference to them. Their managers will be targeted to make the most profit they possibly can from that contract.

The problem is squarely on the government. Once the decision was made to allocate £30 to provide food to the needy, then a govt department should have been given a target to make sure that the full amount makes it to those its intended for.

Partly. Sustainability and good faith also play into the equation and their initial strategy engenders neither. I suspect it'll be a fair old while before they win any other significant UK PS contracts after all. Bad day for all concerned I'd say!

19 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well, saves the tax payer from having to fund a gazillion single mums' crack habits, doesn't it!!! 

£10.50 anyone?

image.thumb.png.8c3fac3eccbf937fe58a7668ca3fb3a2.png

Absolutely ridiculous. Is it even possible to make a meal from any of that? Sadly, I'm sure a lot of the food will go to waste as a result. Half a pepper to save on 16p per package as well!

When you look at what you can get with £30 from food delivery sites such as Hello Fresh, Gousto, and others... it really gets you thinking what they're playing at!

Hello Fresh - 8 meals for £32 (16 meals for £52)
Gousto -  8 meals for £35 (16 meals for £48)
Midfulchef - 8 meals for £34 (12 meals for £40)

Healthy food at 'competitive' prices, and come with recipe cards with simple steps so anyone can follow the instructions.

Not forgetting the massive discounts you can get, such as Hello Fresh's 60% off the first order and 35% off next 3
FYI, I have a couple voucher codes to give away.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Absolutely ridiculous. Is it even possible to make a meal from any of that? Sadly, I'm sure a lot of the food will go to waste as a result. Half a pepper to save on 16p per package as well!

When you look at what you can get with £30 from food delivery sites such as Hello Fresh, Gousto, and others... it really gets you thinking what they're playing at!

Healthy food at 'competitive' prices, and come with recipe cards with simple steps so anyone can follow the instructions.

Not forgetting the massive discounts you can get, such as Hello Fresh's 60% off the first order and 35% off next 3

Not even thought about that to be honest. Ae they good? Been a tad concerned about my eating habits recently so I'll have a look myself. Which would you recommend?

You're absolutely right though, they're effectively re-inventing the wheel here. Hopefully we'll see a dramatic improvement in the Chartwell offering very soon in any case.

20 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well, saves the tax payer from having to fund a gazillion single mums' crack habits, doesn't it!!! 

£10.50 anyone?

image.thumb.png.8c3fac3eccbf937fe58a7668ca3fb3a2.png

Oh, I don't know.

I can certainly see something on that table that'll bring a smile to the face of all the single mums out there.

I think we may be talking about different crack habits though.

19 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not even thought about that to be honest. Ae they good? Been a tad concerned about my eating habits recently so I'll have a look myself. Which would you recommend?

You're absolutely right though, they're effectively re-inventing the wheel here. Hopefully we'll see a dramatic improvement in the Chartwell offering very soon in any case.

My favourite is Hello Fresh. A typical 16 meal box (4 recipes for 4 people) would cost you about £40 in the supermarket. With the 35% discount you get it for £34, so for me I felt it was worthwhile. You have about 30 meals to choose from (plus others at an additional cost) and the options are different every week. Skip weeks when you want, choose the day you want it deliver, and change the number of meals you want each week if you choose.

For me, I wouldn't pay the full price of £52 as I'd rather save £12 and give up an hour of my week to go shopping instead. Some may find the variety of meals and convenience of the delivery makes spending that bit extra worthwhile.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Particularly liked the use of money bags for the tuna and the grated cheese - give them another use now that cash is on its way out! This is so appallingly grim.

1/4 onion, 1/2 pepper, 1/2 tomato, a sliver of carrot...  ?‍♂️

Saw this in one of the replies to the original tweet (value of £318 in the supermarket). A slight difference between the two images

58 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ainsley Harriot out of Ready Steady Cook  could have a go. Cat food gratin?

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My favourite is Hello Fresh. A typical 16 meal box (4 recipes for 4 people) would cost you about £40 in the supermarket. With the 35% discount you get it for £34, so for me I felt it was worthwhile. You have about 30 meals to choose from (plus others at an additional cost) and the options are different every week. Skip weeks when you want, choose the day you want it deliver, and change the number of meals you want each week if you choose.

For me, I wouldn't pay the full price of £52 as I'd rather save £12 and give up an hour of my week to go shopping instead. Some may find the variety of meals and convenience of the delivery makes spending that bit extra worthwhile.

Cheers Ghost - will have a peep ? Diet's been a bit samey recently so might do week on week off kind of thing.

Archived