Marcus Rashford

Parsnip

Whilst I might not agree with his response, maybe cstand is sticking to the forum guidelines and avoiding political posts ? 

Im now wondering if we are discussing the contents of a package or if it's a debate on how the government have given out a contract to supply these meals. A two minute google search and I'm already wondering what the truth is on this, the Tory links is appears to be the former chairman, the compass group is one of several companies supplying these types of meals, the food parcel shown was not the £30 quid one and the government has said that it doesn't meet their standards. 

Im not debating the contents of the package are substandard and poor, but once again we are starting to move into a political post based upon statements that appear to be in factual ?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

You’re not grasping the question are you? 

I will simplify it, if you donated £50 to a charity, and only £10 went to the actual cause you donated to, whatever that cause may be, but the other £40 went into a businessman’s back pocket, would you be upset? Morally? 

The point of the question is that the taxpayer is paying £30 to outsource something, when it could give £15 directly to the person in need, thus giving 150% more to the recipient whilst ALSO saving 50% for the taxpayer. 

As for the cash in hand thing, let’s just say, a single mother of three kids earned a crafty tenner helping her friend make sandwiches for a wedding reception buffet.

If the government took the bad parents to task about making sure they feed their kids the government would not be sending parcels therefore you would not be complaining about the cost. 

I don’t believe in keeping people in benefits or handouts anyway it’s counter productive they should be given the opportunity to go to work for their own self respect and be able to better themselves. There should be some kind of employment tax on major companies that do not pay their fair share through the normal tax system to  help pay for it.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

There is much less of a stigma now. It is less obvious as well who gets FSM. 

That's good to know.

I suspect my point was missed by a certain someone, I'd have loved to have a decent meal at lunchtime, and I'd have loved to have a top footballer say free school meals are ok, it wasn't good parenting that saw me miss out.

41 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Why? Let him out himself for what he is. He posts some vile stuff, folk get annoyed, the thread gets shut down. That's exactly what he wants. Leave it up for all to see. 

If you do not like free speech or someone with a different point of view best not to join an open forum.

27 minutes ago, Rev said:

That's good to know.

I suspect my point was missed by a certain someone, I'd have loved to have a decent meal at lunchtime, and I'd have loved to have a top footballer say free school meals are ok, it wasn't good parenting that saw me miss out.

Midway through secondary school I had free schools meals as well because my parents had split up. I never wanted anyone to find out I would have been mortified if a footballer had said free school meals are ok it would not have been a safe walk home after school. When other kids started asking questions why I was having school meals all the time I use to pretend to go home at lunchtime on a regular basis but I was really going to the chip shop using my paper round money to buy a bag of chips.

4 minutes ago, cstand said:

Midway through secondary school I had free schools meals as well because my parents had split up. I never wanted anyone to find out I would have been mortified if a footballer had said free school meals are ok it would not have been a safe walk home after school. When other kids started asking questions why I was having school meals all the time I use to pretend to go home at lunchtime on a regular basis but I was really going to the chip shop using my paper round money to buy a bag of chips.

So you wouldn't have found it empowering if one of England's finest young footballers had shown that free school meals were acceptable?

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

So you wouldn't have found it empowering if one of England's finest young footballers had shown that free school meals were acceptable?

Certainly not I did not want to draw any attention to myself I never wanted anyone to find out that my parents had split up or about free schools meals and clothing. 

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Sounds like you had great parents.

Do you think everyone does and if not do you wonder whether some sort of intervention might be a good thing to ensure (in theory, at least, as we are seeing) that the most deprived are given nutritious food to help them reach their potential. 

Even if you don’t wonder that, are you annoyed that a private company would appear to be making huge profits out of your tax payments?

My parents eventually split up, I ended up being a latch key kid learnt to do the shopping and cooking and to do it all on a tight budget if I can do that at 13-14 years old I am sure that grown adults can do it as well. If you hate the government for spending too much on this why don’t you ask Mr Rashford to get all the footballers to take a pay cut to pay for it?

2 hours ago, cstand said:

Certainly not I did not want to draw any attention to myself I never wanted anyone to find out that my parents had split up or about free schools meals and clothing. 

So you benefitted from the handouts you'd see fit to deny others. OK...

4 hours ago, cstand said:

If the government took the bad parents to task about making sure they feed their kids the government would not be sending parcels therefore you would not be complaining about the cost. 

So your parents needed free meals and clothing for you, paid for by the taxpayer and by your account, you 'had a great upbringing', but when others need help for their kids, it's because they are 'bad parents'?

How does that work exactly? 

3 hours ago, cstand said:

If you do not like free speech or someone with a different point of view best not to join an open forum.

You crack on son! I've actually said the thread should remain open (perhaps you didn't understand that bit!) so clearly I'm not really fussed by your 'opinions' nor the nature of an open forum. Trust me, I've some choice views I'd love to share with you too, were I allowed to do so ?

1 hour ago, cstand said:

If you hate the government for spending too much on this why don’t you ask Mr Rashford to get all the footballers to take a pay cut to pay for it?

Errrr, that'd be because we're already paying for the meals to be provided? Not quite sure how you've failed to grasp that point when half a dozen folk have politely pointed it out to you, nor why you instead insist on prattling on about footballers, Sikhs and the people of Kent. Why should any of those groups cover the cost when the taxpayer already has?

Actually, that's a blatant lie... I'm quite certain I know why you've 'failed to grasp' the point made, as, I'm pretty certain, does everyone else, but by all means keep avoiding the question and the obvious answer. Nothing remotely hinky there ?

Hope you enjoyed your dinner! 

8 hours ago, cstand said:

don’t believe in keeping people in benefits or handouts anyway it’s counter productive they should be given the opportunity to go to work for their own self respect and be able to better themselves

You do realise we are in the grip of a pandemic and under imposed lockdown? I lost my job last year, and was unable to find employment until November, so NEEDED benefits. 

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

So what recipe do you suggest they use to make £6 worth of ingredients look like the meals are worth £30?

Stop trying to have a go at the government all the time. Everyone knows they include £25 quids worth if crack in there too but they can hardly tell everyone about it. 

Would you rather the crack addicted mothers have to go to a dangerous crack den to get their fix?

Thank god that MP for Mansfield managed to sort this out.

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Stop trying to have a go at the government all the time. Everyone knows they include £25 quids worth if crack in there too but they can hardly tell everyone about it. 

Would you rather the crack addicted mothers have to go to a dangerous crack den to get their fix?

Thank god that MP for Mansfield managed to sort this out.

It's all this bloody pinko government's fault, handing out cash on stupid things like food for children. Bloody commies.

I am too busy working to reply making sure that in the middle of a pandemic supermarkets and the NHS have all the supplies they need. 

Please stop using this topic to air your political grievances against the government  spend your time and effort to come up with a viable solution to the problem instead . 

For example give the parents the full money being spent on them by telling them to attend a supermarket shop for the correct  food and receive recipes this could be then deducted at the check out.  Just need a solution to make sure they actually cook the food and feed it to their kids any viable suggestions?

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

It's all this bloody pinko government's fault, handing out cash on stupid things like food for children. Bloody commies.

In all seriousness, are you attributing the blame at the governments door for this, or the company that provided the service.

You also mentioned they were an untenured contractor, what did you mean by this ? 

10 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

In all seriousness, are you attributing the blame at the governments door for this, or the company that provided the service.

You also mentioned they were an untenured contractor, what did you mean by this ? 

It was a comment in response to the suggestion that people shouldn't be given benefits or handouts. It was a sarcastic comment of course. The government is not pinko or commie - but some feel they are being overly socially generous.

I understand the contract to Chartwells to provide this feast was awarded without tendering. The former Chairman of Chartwells is a large Tory donor.

8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It was a comment in response to the suggestion that people shouldn't be given benefits or handouts. It was a sarcastic comment of course. The government is not pinko or commie - but some feel they are being overly socially generous.

I understand the contract to Chartwells to provide this feast was awarded without tendering. The former Chairman of Chartwells is a large Tory donor.

To the latter, I'm always interested in this sort of thing, so don't take this as a dig or anything like that, more of a fact finding mission on my part.

I researched this (sad I know but my job entails this sort of thing) and the company have been engaged in providing school meals for many, many years. It appears they have gone through the process of tendering on several occasions and have been awarded the contract by the local authorities not the government, of which  interesting appears to be both parties. I thought, obviously wrong, as they were on the PSL, this was why they were on the list to provide these school meals. I take it somewhere I have my information wrong ?

51 minutes ago, cstand said:

I am too busy working to reply making sure that in the middle of a pandemic supermarkets and the NHS have all the supplies they need. 

Please stop using this topic to air your political grievances against the government  spend your time and effort to come up with a viable solution to the problem instead . 

For example give the parents the full money being spent on them by telling them to attend a supermarket shop for the correct  food and receive recipes this could be then deducted at the check out.  Just need a solution to make sure they actually cook the food and feed it to their kids any viable suggestions?

The food parcels are a very good idea, the issue is the company providing them have given £6 worth of food when they should be giving £30 worth of food. 

Archived