Time for some reflection

i-Ram

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

@i-Ram

i think that is a great post. Hopefully a few people do moderate their behaviour.

I used to listen to all creeds and opinions, but increasingly I chose to just stick people on ignore if they launch some sort of stupid attack or excessively facetious comment. I’m now up to 35 on ignore which is amazing, but they don’t get there without having done something that was uncalled for. Some of them used to be amongst my favourite posters, but I can’t be bothered with them now. Usually if one dishes out a bit of grief, the usual little band wade in too.

i was tempted to join the forum meet up, but there are a few on there who have made the ignore list, who I’m not sure I really want to meet, which is a shame because generally I would like to meet as many as poss. Whenever I have met people off the forum they have all been great. people seem to behave differently face to face than they do behind a keyboard.

I’m glad you have recognised your own tendency to yank a few chains. You can be funny but I put you in the “handle with care” category. 

Anyway, well said. And happy quizzing whether I make it or not.

I can't be the only one wondering...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It takes a lot to get me down too! I generally don't let outside events affect me too much, but maybe I allow it to creep in sometimes when I post on here (probably due to a combination of anonymity and only getting a tiny picture of what other posters are like in real life).

I completely understand what you're saying. You're quite right, I think we are a bit negative on here when perhaps we aren't so in real life.

Mate don’t worry about it.  We all get sucked into like a vortex every now and then .You can’t please everyone all the time.  Someone on here has a stop quoting Curtains signature below his user name.  Don’t like it but me and him rub each other up the wrong way. 

Yep. Concur. Lost my head when GF was in ICU so took time out. Tried to not get involved for the following month or two once she recovered. Can now feel myself slipping into an old pattern of raring up at certain folks whom I'm not keen on, certainly over the last week at least. Conversely, some I thought I had nothing in common with, seem rather different now, which is odd and others I thought I liked a fair deal, I like rather less now. With so much changeable, I'm going to assume it's mainly my issue and take time out.

Plan now is to just read more and post less. Fact is, there are some who assume that because of my politics, I only have one axe to grind whereas, in fact, I have many. It's also too easy for them to get under my skin with assumptions that everything is political, which has never been less true, in all honesty. I should know better of course, but I've never walked away from conflict and I doubt I ever will. Easier then to avoid it in the first place, though the idea that I've then allowed myself to be effectively muzzled doesn't sit well either. But then as Marcellus Wallace puts it, 'that's just pride ***kin with ya. **ck pride. Pride only hurts'. 

Peace out folks.

23 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yep. Concur. Lost my head when GF was in ICU so took time out. Tried to not get involved for the following month or two once she recovered. Can now feel myself slipping into an old pattern of raring up at certain folks whom I'm not keen on, certainly over the last week at least. Conversely, some I thought I had nothing in common with, seem rather different now, which is odd and others I thought I liked a fair deal, I like rather less now. With so much changeable, I'm going to assume it's mainly my issue and take time out.

Plan now is to just read more and post less. Fact is, there are some who assume that because of my politics, I only have one axe to grind whereas, in fact, I have many. It's also too easy for them to get under my skin with assumptions that everything is political, which has never been less true, in all honesty. I should know better of course, but I've never walked away from conflict and I doubt I ever will. Easier then to avoid it in the first place, though the idea that I've then allowed myself to be effectively muzzled doesn't sit well either. But then as Marcellus Wallace puts it, 'that's just pride ***kin with ya. **ck pride. Pride only hurts'. 

Peace out folks.

Hope your girl friend is ok now mate. 

PS. Everybody has their own opinion on things it’s just that some can’t tolerate opposition to their own. 

That’s life I suppose 

Just now, Curtains said:

Thank you mate. She was very sick but luckily only for a relatively short time, only 3 nights in all. She was in the John Radcliffe for around 6 days in total but recovered very quickly and even though I sense she's not quite 100% still, she's adamant that she is absolutely fine. She's a tough cookie. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thank you mate. She was very sick but luckily only for a relatively short time, only 3 nights in all. She was in the John Radcliffe for around 6 days in total but recovered very quickly and even though I sense she's not quite 100% still, she's adamant that she is absolutely fine. She's a tough cookie. 

My wife had her Parathyroid and Tyroid removed recently in the Royal Derby and is now on thoroxine and calcium for the rest of her life.   The NHS did a fantastic job with her.  I nearly died when I was 11 after my appendix burst and it turned to peritonitis.

The NHS is a fantastic institution. 
We all have our stories I suppose .

PS Where is the John Radcliffe I presume Nottingham way ! 

22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

My wife had her Parathyroid and Tyroid removed recently in the Royal Derby and is now on thoroxine and calcium for the rest of her life.   The NHS did a fantastic job with her.  I nearly died when I was 11 after my appendix burst and it turned to peritonitis.

The NHS is a fantastic institution. 
We all have our stories I suppose .

PS Where is the John Radcliffe I presume Nottingham way ! 

I've always thought the NHS was something we should all be immensely proud of. The pandemic has only strengthened that view. 

Nottingham !?!?!? ? The JR is in Headington, Oxford my good man! 

Just now, Angry Ram said:

What did I miss?

Not a whole lot I suspect. Just folk who don't really like each other making it known, but nothing remotely heavy, least not that I've seen.

Think folk are wanting a lid on it rather than any escalation which is fair enough I guess.

18 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've always thought the NHS was something we should all be immensely proud of. The pandemic has only strengthened that view. 

Nottingham !?!?!? ? The JR is in Headington, Oxford my good man! 

I was born in John Raddliffe ? my dad says he could see Oxford playing from the window whilst my mum was in labour.

13 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I imagine this was aimed at me.

I wasn't saying exam stress is the hardest thing in the world (in fact I admitted that it was trivial). I myself have dealt with situations that are far tougher, more upsetting and challenging than exams in recent years (though obviously not as tough, upsetting and challenging than being bombed). I was merely pointing to a factor in my life at that time that perhaps contributed to a slightly raised level of hostility in my posts. I'm sure you're not immune from silly actions caused by stress/pressure/anxiety that, when put into context, seem completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It happens to us all.

13 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Not aimed at you at all , but it does highlight the sensitivities mentioned in my post .For what it's worth I think you are a credit to your generation and your posts are balanced and well thought out .In short you sound a good guy.

Having "met" @DarkFruitsRam7 on the weekly quiz I can confirm that he is indeed an apprentice Bater. I'm sure he'll make a very good master!

? Love you really.

18 hours ago, Curtains said:

PS. Everybody has their own opinion on things it’s just that some can’t tolerate opposition to their own. 

That’s life I suppose 

No it’s not

I hope Mick & Harry don't ever put me on ignore.................

We should all post to one another with Love, Life & D.C.F.C.

Be kind to others and hopefully others will be kind to others and kind to others and kind to others and kind to others.............

On 01/06/2020 at 11:16, i-Ram said:

One of the things that made me think was a brief one-to-one discussion between @David and myself as we waited for other quiz members to join us last Saturday. I hope David that you don’t mind me sharing (and this is not verbatim, just my broad recollection) but asking after his welfare one of the things he said was that there are too many times he gets stressed having to wake to see what shitstorm might have occurred on the forum during his period of downtime. In fact he suggested his period of downtime has increased recently as a consequence.

Don’t mind, said as much several times before. Funny enough I’ve just seen this as I’ve not been online much, just working through notifications now. 

Think the quiz has been good, putting faces to usernames, might look to continue it once football is back but maybe make it monthly, hopefully more jump on and join in.

Archived