Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I've been waiting for us to be linked to Van Ginkel. We desperately need something in midfield and he would be great.

For me, the fact a left back is mentioned in the article kinda gives it a bit of credibility, as either they are very lucky with picking that player or they know we need a left back.

Never heard of Baba, but let's hope it's TRUE.

I remember Chelsea signing him. Sure they spent about £15m in around 2016? Played in that season, then sent out on loan ever since. He's only 26.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone we have been linked with a number of times, who fits the mould and (most importantly) budget is Sam Cosgrove. He's been injured and looks to be on his way out, perhaps that's what we're waiting on. It's well documented that we've followed him. 

He's six foot three, consistently hit the back of the net whilst in Scotland which has seen more-and-more succcesful imports into the Championship. Lyndon Dykes is the latest one to come over. He scored on his debut against Forest. 

I have never seen the guy play, obviously, but after finding himself out in the cold during his younger years in England then moved to Aberdeen where he's put on a show. 87 games for Aberdeen has resulted in 44 goals and 8 assists. 23 goals in 37 games last season in all competitions and 21 in 44 the year before shows a good level of consistency. The record isn't too disimilar to Odsonne Edouard at Celtic, who is at a similar age and has been said to be worth £40m by some parts of Glasgow. In terms of goals a game, Cosgrove has done better than Aberdeen than Eduoard has at Celtic. I'm absolutely positive Edouard is better, he's always impressed me when I've seen him, but we're talking less than 10% of the fee for a player with a better goal to game ratio in the same environment in a worst team. 

I could absolutely bet on board with that signing, providing he's sanity checked first, i.e. he can trap a bag of sand and play a little bit of football and not just a trampoline when the ball comes near him. 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Someone we have been linked with a number of times, who fits the mould and (most importantly) budget is Sam Cosgrove. He's been injured and looks to be on his way out, perhaps that's what we're waiting on. It's well documented that we've followed him. 

He's six foot three, consistently hit the back of the net whilst in Scotland which has seen more-and-more succcesful imports into the Championship. Lyndon Dykes is the latest one to come over. He scored on his debut against Forest. 

I have never seen the guy play, obviously, but after finding himself out in the cold during his younger years in England then moved to Aberdeen where he's put on a show. 87 games for Aberdeen has resulted in 44 goals and 8 assists. 23 goals in 37 games last season in all competitions and 21 in 44 the year before shows a good level of consistency. The record isn't too disimilar to Odsonne Edouard at Celtic, who is at a similar age and has been said to be worth £40m by some parts of Glasgow. In terms of goals a game, Cosgrove has done better than Aberdeen than Eduoard has at Celtic. I'm absolutely positive Edouard is better, he's always impressed me when I've seen him, but we're talking less than 10% of the fee for a player with a better goal to game ratio in the same environment in a worst team. 

I could absolutely bet on board with that signing, providing he's sanity checked first, i.e. he can trap a bag of sand and play a little bit of football and not just a trampoline when the ball comes near him. 

Sounds very plausible.

In July, Aberdeen accepted a £2m+ bid from a Ligue 2 team, Guingamp but Cosgrove rejected the move.

21 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

League is so poor that it is difficult to assess how good anyone is that plays there...

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

League is so poor that it is difficult to assess how good anyone is that plays there...

Very true, but I do think the league gets a bad reputation. We've had a few players now come to England and do well: Jon McGinn is obviously the best one to use, but there's been solid players come down from Scotland now. Obviously, the likes of Barrie McKay and that other useless youth that Forest signed will muddy the waters a little. 

I don't think buying from Scotland is any riskier than signing a player from the Polish league, for example. 

Cocu in press conference today:

“It is not absolutely necessary a player has to go out, but we have to be creative.”

Florian Jozefzoon: Cocu hopes the player can find another chapter in his career.

Cocu said the club is looking in this country and abroad in their search for a striker.

“A lot of names will pass by, sometimes because our interest is real, sometimes because agents use our club in the market, for whatever reason, but the team is not complete yet.”

“Because of the new situation for a lot of clubs, sometimes it can be less likely to let a player go out on loan, for example, or a striker can be expensive, or his wages are too much for us. All this is what makes it a challenge to get the right type of player we are looking for.”

23 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'm not saying this is anything other than bs. Just trying to understand the thought process behind linking us with ANOTHER CB?

EDIT: He's actually a leftback. Oops

Unlikely, but wow that’d be an incredible signing. Watching PSV under Cocu when they dominated in Holland, everything went through Van Ginkel. 

Archived