Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I understand the point you make and agree with to an extent...

but surely you must recognise paying 2.5 million for Nugent in the same window is having your pants down. Paying 4 million for Butterfield, 6 million for Johnson, any amount of money for Cameron Jerome, Blackman, Camara etc 

Our pants were so firmly around our ankles in that era that it’s extremely galling that the one time we seemed to find this self respect and restraint was with the one player that actually turned out to be absolutely class.

We also should have signed him in the summer, McClaren probably would have if he’d stayed but we got Rowett in and spunked money on Lawrence, Davies and Huddlestone. Contract for Joe Ledley following the Kieftenbeld mess was also a highlight!

Wouldn't say we had our pants down in fees bar Blackman and Butterfield.  Perhaps by agents with length of contract. The Davies one bemuses me. Surprised he's still here.

Davies was excellent for a year, Huddlestone the same, Nugent for 18 months. The problem was length of contract, Jerome was about a million and certainly had two years in him, the kind of option we need know but we got our money back or thereabouts.  Johnson came out of nowhere and I thought at the time was a good signing - he didn't do as well as i hoped.  Ledley did a good job for 5 months on a free, then got injured - to be fair he left in the summer and didn't stay where he wouldn't play. 

I desperately hoped Sheff Wedneday would get Blackman as I knew from watching him many times before it was wasted money.  Camara was an option not worth bothering with and I wasn't happy about Butterfield- once again seen him a few times and he always did nothing of note.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen a few suggestions that we need to add to our midfield options. Not sure if that’s true, but Jackson Irvine, ex Hull and Burton, would provide something different to what we currently have. A box to box player, has a great engine, adaptable, excellent in the air, a good, positive communicator and scores a decent number of goals. Has a bit of the Tim Cahills (when he played in the midfield not up front) about him, and at 27, is experienced, but not ancient. Was captain at Hull before he left under odd circumstances, but the departure says more about those running Hull than Irvine, knows the championship and is proven at this level.  

Whilst we have 400 CM/DCMs we don't have one with pace to disrupt the opposition and help deal with breaks. I thought we improved massively when Knight moved alongside Bird yesterday. It the area of the pitch where we have most options but we are still short of pace and athleticism. I'm not convinced that Bielik has that either, just a more mobile Eustace which is not a bad thing in itself. 

So...someone quick, with stamina, can stick a foot in and a semi sensible passer.  

59 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Been moping around in the garden this morning after yesterdays result.  Old trampie, looked up at me and said 'Samatta?'

I replied 'Just down about the result yesterday.'  He looked at me imploringly.  As if I'd missed something really important.  Make of that what you will.

Did you not see? 

White Lightning on 3 for 2 at Morrisons. 

Not sure if he has been mentioned before but what about Scott Hogan? Clearly out of favour at Villa, scored goals at this level, faster & taller than Marriott I believe plus in yhe last year of his deal so could be available relatively cheap?

Reported wages at Villa are 17.5k per week so probably higher end of our budget

On 13/09/2020 at 12:33, Will Hughes Hair said:

Been moping around in the garden this morning after yesterdays result.  Old trampie, looked up at me and said 'Samatta?'

I replied 'Just down about the result yesterday.'  He looked at me imploringly.  As if I'd missed something really important.  Make of that what you will.

On a serious note Samatta from villa would be a good signing on loan 

Archived