One year ago today....

Andicis

Wonderful night in, watching it with my family and screaming like a banshee when goals flew in and having all the mobile devices charged up for the last 5 mins, looking at flights and booking them as soon as the final whistle went for Wembley.

I still remember the sad Leeds fan and his mate in Aberdeen airport that couldn't help themselves as my lad and I boarded the flight to London, a flight they were also on, I wonder what they did all day. "We"ll see you next season" is what the Leeds fan said. I just smiled back but in my head I was saying "We've already won the game that mattered and what are you going to London for, to see the Queen?"...........I didn't waste my time on the flight looking out for them. We were surrounded by some young Aston Villa fans on the flight, but they kept quiet and kept themselves to themselves. And I did speak to an elderly Aston Villa fan sat at the front of the flight, when coming out of the toilet, he was holidaying with his misses up here but just like he had done the previous season for the Fulham v AV game, he was doing it all again. He was a nice guy and I told him, I think you'll win 2-1 today........what a plonker I am!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I still can't believe that as a passionate Derby County fan and cricket nut I missed, in the same year, both the Leeds second leg and the end of the World Cup final against New Zealand. 

The horrible thing is, I now wonder whether I am a jinx to my favourite teams and whether me not watching them somehow impacts the outcome. 

That's what sport does to you. 

It's madness I tell you. 

I am sure you were too busy plotting the demise of Theresa May, to even notice we were playing.

2 hours ago, philmycocu said:

My favourite match ever for the emotional roller coaster, loved it! Even eclipsed the Ten Men match, just. Can't wait for more!!

The match itself was unbelievable, one of the most dramatic individual matches on its own merit, great football, passion, thrills, spills, red cards, goals galore, missed chances.......but, when you add the events of the wider season into the mix, spy gate, Leeds fans hatred of Frank, being outclassed by them three times, the sheer hatefulness and arrogance of their fans, singing stop crying, the tinpot scarf waving and premature celebrations.....the crying and hiding behind their free scarfs, the celebrations.......I watched it on my own at home, I couldn't get a ticket and couldn't stand the thought of going the pub with plastic dirties and local neutrals all wanting Derby to lose badly......at times I was hiding behind the sofa peeking over like I did when the Daleks were on Doctor Who when I was 7........I was chatting to my lad in Singapore through the game and shared the roller coaster with him - when the final whistle went I did the airplane run along our street and back then spent 4 hours drinking, whatsapping, FaceTiming, replaying, I'm assuming I was posting on here!, The best feeling ive had without being at a game by far. 

Peak Derby ?

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Leeds fan at work still hasn't got over it.

I do manage to slip it into the conversation most weeks though......

IMO your opinion is a tad naive. Buy him a binoculars and move on...

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

Finally answers the Duane Holmes question:

Lampard - We knew Duane had a problem going into the game. He had had a fitness test before, but I was worried about him anyway. That formation asked a lot of him, and normally he had the legs for it, but I could see he was struggling. As it came toward half-time, chatting to the staff, we were considering whether to wait or whether to try and make an impact before the end of the first half. We thought, let’s do it.

Watched the game with mates who support other teams. By the end of it, they were jumping around and screaming their heads off as much as I was. It was an incredible game of football, even for neutrals.

Sounds a bit wishy-washy but it actually makes me feel almost teary when I think of it. Not in an unhappy way of course, but in an unbridled explosion of joy kind of way. I think it's my favourite Derby memory ever. God alone knows what would top it but if it ever happens, I may just spontaneously combust!

God I miss the footy ?

COYR

9 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'll never tire of watching this. Gets me every single time. Volume up.... ???????

That seems to be a slightly 'sanitised' version? Where's all the shots of the lads doing the Bielsa spying? Plus there's one with L**ds fans singing to Frankie? Although of course every version is magnificent! ?

Archived