Rosenior and recruitment

jimbobram

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'm a massive fan of Lyle Taylor, he'd be a quality addition. Often plays as a lone striker, mobile & a good finisher.

I dont think he'd want to play there. Even at Man Utd he was happier playing deeper, he likes to get on the ball & dictate the play. Think Bielik will struggle to get back into the team ahead of either Rooney or Bird (assuming other midfielder in a 4-3-3 is forward thinking like Holmes)

Wouldn't fancy Taylor .  Played everywhere, all lower league and did nothing of note. Had two reasonable seasons goal wise, one at League one - fella has the sniff of another Blackman .30 and a lengthy injury this season so couldn't afford the risk.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Wouldn't fancy Taylor .  Played everywhere, all lower league and did nothing of note. Had two reasonable seasons goal wise, one at League one - fella has the sniff of another Blackman .30 and a lengthy injury this season so couldn't afford the risk.

Bit harsh to compare to Blackman & consider him injury prone. Its true he's a late developer but his last 5 years have been excellent. 15/16, scores 23 goals to help AFC Wimbledon get promoted to League One, 16/17 and 17/18 in a struggling side, got into double figures in League One. Moves to bigger side in League One (Charlton) & scores 21 goals to get them up to Championship. Played 40 plus games in each of those seasons. Also got 11 in 22 this year in his first year at this level in a struggling team.

I also think his attributes as a lone striker would suit our set up, hes a bit older (and wiser) and hes also a bit of an nasty so & so. Every team needs a couple of them & he'd be a great foil to our younger lads. Hes on the way up, even despite his age...I think he'd be an excellent free transfer signing on the right wages. Moving to Derby would be the biggest move of his career, he'd work himself into the ground for us.

It’s always interesting hearing from Rosenior about what he’s doing in his role here. It’s quite a weird one - when he first arrived, I think most of us imagined he’d just form part of Cocu’s first team coaching team, but it’s become more apparent over time that he’s also doing a lot of analytics work - and is therefore working within the recruitment team as well. I think it’s a really good thing for the club as a whole to have that sort of link between the two backroom teams - you’d imagine it’d help build a streamlined vision across the club, and make sure that we’re only bringing in players who actually suit the way the manager wants to play.

I think it’s clear our recruitment in recent years has been pretty objectively poor, save the odd gem like Holmes, so hopefully having someone like Rosenior at the club will help sort that mess out so we don’t get any more wasted signings like Paterson who simply don’t fit in. He certainly comes across as a very intelligent and knowledgable bloke in his interviews, so I hold high hopes that our recruitment will hopefully improve once all this mess is resolved.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Future Derby manager. 

Other than from what he's said in this interview, what does he actually do? I think it's quite a bold statement to make him our next manager without this information.

It all rolls downhill.

The transfer market might look very different. The likes of Chelsea and Brighton might buy Bird and Bogle respectively, for sums around £4-5 million, far less than we would have wanted before Covid.

Then, in turn, we’ll look lower down the leagues for players around the £900K - £1.2 million mark to replace them (Thus pocketing some much needed funds).

So, by all means look forwards to scouring the lower leagues for the next Duane Holmes, but understand that this may very well come at the cost of some of our own young talent.

If this becomes our new transfer pattern, then we will most likely be trading down from the players going out to those coming in ?

6 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

It all rolls downhill.

The transfer market might look very different. The likes of Chelsea and Brighton might buy Bird and Bogle respectively, for sums around £4-5 million, far less than we would have wanted before Covid.

Then, in turn, we’ll look lower down the leagues for players around the £900K - £1.2 million mark to replace them (Thus pocketing some much needed funds).

So, by all means look forwards to scouring the lower leagues for the next Duane Holmes, but understand that this may very well come at the cost of some of our own young talent.

If this becomes our new transfer pattern, then we will most likely be trading down from the players going out to those coming in ?

try and sell only one if you can manage it...........Sell Bogle....as we have Wisdom..........need to try and hang on to Bird

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

try and sell only one if you can manage it...........Sell Bogle....as we have Wisdom..........need to try and hang on to Bird

Ebosele will also be looking to make the step up next season. Rated very highly 

Rosenior seems very well respected in football.

He has slowly and successfully built up  through his contacts and connections during his playing and media days  a large network of football 'acquaintances'.

He always seems to come across as a very measured, yet insight full in his comments. Not open to' flippant' remarks or 'headline' grabbing comments. 

He has been steadily building up his knowledge base learning from both his former managers and other respected figures within the footballing fraternity. 

It is plain to see he has a plan to soak up as much knowledge of the game be it coaching, tactical, scouting, recruitment, management and dealing with the media and people as possible. 

All vital skills he will need (as well as BIG dose of luck) to become a successful manager in his own right. 

I only hope that we (and Mel) are 'bright' enough to see this and make sure that he is given a chance at Derby to see what he can do when the time comes.

12 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Bit harsh to compare to Blackman & consider him injury prone. Its true he's a late developer but his last 5 years have been excellent. 15/16, scores 23 goals to help AFC Wimbledon get promoted to League One, 16/17 and 17/18 in a struggling side, got into double figures in League One. Moves to bigger side in League One (Charlton) & scores 21 goals to get them up to Championship. Played 40 plus games in each of those seasons. Also got 11 in 22 this year in his first year at this level in a struggling team.

I also think his attributes as a lone striker would suit our set up, hes a bit older (and wiser) and hes also a bit of an nasty so & so. Every team needs a couple of them & he'd be a great foil to our younger lads. Hes on the way up, even despite his age...I think he'd be an excellent free transfer signing on the right wages. Moving to Derby would be the biggest move of his career, he'd work himself into the ground for us.

I watched Taylor play a few times when he was at Wimbledon. He was clearly a cut above everyone else on the field. I'm not sure he's good enough to lead a forward line at Championship level though. For the right wages he'd be a good option, as he can also play out wide if required and is the type who always puts in a good shift.

19 minutes ago, Anon said:

I watched Taylor play a few times when he was at Wimbledon. He was clearly a cut above everyone else on the field. I'm not sure he's good enough to lead a forward line at Championship level though. For the right wages he'd be a good option, as he can also play out wide if required and is the type who always puts in a good shift.

Lyle Taylor would be looking for high wages too. He is only a year younger than Martin. I would much rather have Martin than Taylor. 

4 hours ago, irobinson said:

Let’s face it, we’re most probably in the poo financially.

Who’s to say that we might need to sell Bird, Bogle and any other of the youngsters when/if they make their mark.

Not trying to be a doom merchant but, just when it looks like we might be getting a promising young, mostly English, team together, along comes a global mega pandemic to radically change the face of football finances! ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Let’s face it, we’re most probably in the poo financially.

Who’s to say that we might need to sell Bird, Bogle and any other of the youngsters when/if they make their mark.

Not trying to be a doom merchant but, just when it looks like we might be getting a promising young, mostly English, team together, along comes a global mega pandemic to radically change the face of football finances! ?‍♂️

The board and all involved will be in prepared for whatever they have to do this summer. We may have to sell a youngster, I don't think MM will want to be selling any more than 1. He wants most of the first team made up of academy players. 

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

The board and all involved will be in prepared for whatever they have to do this summer. We may have to sell a youngster, I don't think MM will want to be selling any more than 1. He wants most of the first team made up of academy players. 

Exactly, he would look pretty foolish openly saying he wants 50% academy players in the first team only to go and sell the ones who have broken through. If we can produce enough to sell one every year or so for a good figure then reinvest it we will be in a good place. It did Southampton okay.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:19, jimbobram said:

Only just got round to watching Liam Rosenior talking to sky about how things are going for him, Derby, lockdown etc, and it is an absolute pleasure listening to him. 

He said part of his role is to work with recruitment, and he alone has looked at over 1000 players since being in lockdown for potential transfer targets. It's going to be really interesting to see how we move in the transfer market over the next few years, and to be honest, im really looking forward to it. I'm sure he, the current scouting team and the club know we aren't going to be making those massive signings now, so those 'little gems' we have been on about will have to be found

I think Rosenior is a breathe of fresh air at this football club. A real intelligent guy who has experience in all divisions of english football and look forward to seeing some shrewd signings.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:21, angieram said:

Yes, I agree. He says a little more about this during his catch-up with @OwenB87 yesterday, too. Hinting at the very different market that DCFC will be operating in when it comes to transfers. Good to hear from him.

Have you got links to watch them? Sound interesting but I'm lazy

What sounds even better is cocu has an input into the academy on playing style  the recruitment side makes it even more apparent he's here for the long term which we can have a squad learn for 2 years for promotion. The team will be his and all players brought fit his style. Over the last 6 years we have had so many managers we have had to buy every window other players because the others didn't suit style. 

We need some intelligence in the recruitment dept. The club (well, Mr Morris during his chairmanship) must have shelled out tens of millions on some absolute dross. Shocking abuse of the owners money by those involved. 

Archived