Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Fall

Climbing up a big tower. That's it.

I have a horrible time with heights and younger child chose this film to watch. I must have wronged them in some way.

The worst viewing experience of my entire life.

0/10 but probably better if you don't mind high things.

That the one with the tv mast in the desert.  I  watched Man on Wire recently about Philippe Petit walking a high wire between the Twin Towers in 74, no safety gear or anything.  He loved it that much he walked back again and had a lie down on the wire.  Almost made my testicles go up into my stomach.  

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That the one with the tv mast in the desert.  I  watched Man on Wire recently about Philippe Petit walking a high wire between the Twin Towers in 74, no safety gear or anything.  He loved it that much he walked back again and had a lie down on the wire.  Almost made my testicles go up into my stomach.  

I enjoyed man on wire - but then the actual high wire bits are only a small part (those parts were extremely scary though).

On 29/06/2024 at 07:12, Chester40 said:

Under Paris 

Slow starter, French (with subtitles) and much more 'Jaws' than 'The Meg'.

Steady and watchable enough  6/10

Just watched this, trash of the highest order. 

8/10, ridiculous but fun.

Calm With Horses (2019) - Channel 4. 

Enforcer for grungy drug-dealing family in the rural west of Ireland, struggles with his conscience while trying to be a father to his autistic son. One for fans of Love/Hate - seedy, brooding, brutal, thoughtful and moving. 7.5/10

On 28/06/2024 at 21:30, Rev said:

Literally just logged on to post this movie, I should've known a member of good taste had already been there. 

'Marvellous' for Golf, heart warming simple stuff.

The Phantom of the Open: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00205fz via @bbciplayer

Watched this last night and Marvellous  for golf sums it up nicely. Cheap and cheerful comedy done really well.

Tommy Johnson/10

Furiosa - Mad Max Saga

A prequel to Fury Road. VERY much : 'same again'.

Not a criticism if you liked Fury Road.

Overly long, high octane, 'off the chain', road movie that is visually really individual and full-on.

Storyline is pretty immaterial and often not massively engaging but the action is immense, grinding, innovative and pretty bonkers 'steam-punk' action.

Not quite as gripping as Fury Road but decent fun. 8/10

Goodfellas. (again)

Obviously it's a 10/10.

The famous scenes ( eg 'You're a funny guy', the 2 scenes with Spider) are legendary. 

But there are so many well observed scenes that I love (Karen realising how downtrodden and 'nasty and cheap' the other wives are, Tommy's Mum making them food while Billy is in the boot).

I love the little one-liners throughout. 

De Nero and Liotta are unbelievable, 'Paulie' is very credible.... and Joe Pesci is off the scale - totally irredeemable yet likeable somehow.

Could watch it again today!

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (Amazon Prime) - Guy Ritchie's fictionalised version of a true WW2 mission (Operation Postmaster) - an off-the-books raid on the German U-boat supply ships harboured in a Spanish port. A good cast (including Henry (Superman) Cavill and Alan (Jack Reacher) Ritchson) and a lot of action, it may not have appealed to the critics, but I thought it was great way to spend a couple of hours - as with most Guy Ritchie films, you won't get bored.....

Edited by Gaspode

9 hours ago, Gaspode said:

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (Amazon Prime) - Guy Ritchie's fictionalised version of a true WW2 mission (Operation Postmaster) - an off-the-books raid on the German U-boat supply ships harboured in a Spanish port. A good cast (including Henry (Superman) Cavill and Alan (Jack Reacher) Ritchson) and a lot of action, it may not have appealed to the critics, but I thought it was great way to spend a couple of hours - as with most Guy Ritchie films, you won't get bored.....

With Ritchie - like with Tarantino - I can never put my finger on why I enjoy some of their stuff, yet find other (very similar) stuff they do, annoying.

They both have a very particular style with lots of well-worn quirks... that I will quickly either settle into, or find distracting.

This film reminded me of The Gentlemen- which is a good thing. 

The script was terribly clichéd but felt deliberately naff, and all part of the fun rather than weak or smug.

Cavill hammed-it up brilliantly and it started off at a rattling good pace.

Felt it had lost its way by halfway as the action slowed and bothering with the narrative felt a bit pointless for me. Final quarter picked up again.

7/10

11 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Goodfellas. (again)

Obviously it's a 10/10.

The famous scenes ( eg 'You're a funny guy', the 2 scenes with Spider) are legendary. 

But there are so many well observed scenes that I love (Karen realising how downtrodden and 'nasty and cheap' the other wives are, Tommy's Mum making them food while Billy is in the boot).

I love the little one-liners throughout. 

De Nero and Liotta are unbelievable, 'Paulie' is very credible.... and Joe Pesci is off the scale - totally irredeemable yet likeable somehow.

Could watch it again today!

The Nichola Pileggi/Henry Hill book Wiseguy that it was based on was a decent read if memory serves. Suppose you know the ending though. 

On 24/07/2024 at 08:46, Crewton said:

Calm With Horses (2019) - Channel 4. 

Enforcer for grungy drug-dealing family in the rural west of Ireland, struggles with his conscience while trying to be a father to his autistic son. One for fans of Love/Hate - seedy, brooding, brutal, thoughtful and moving. 7.5/10

I've seen it as my cousin had a minor role in it.  This one wasn't bad but he's been in some s**** over the years but some good stuff as well.  Other times he works as security for Bono or Pierce Brosnan.  He's had an interesting life and is quite entertainingly bonkers.  

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I've seen it as my cousin had a minor role in it.  This one wasn't bad but he's been in some s**** over the years but some good stuff as well.  Other times he works as security for Bono or Pierce Brosnan.  He's had an interesting life and is quite entertainingly bonkers.  

I didn't notice in the credits where it was filmed but I thought it might be Co.Sligo or Mayo perhaps?

Nocturnal Animals

Slow burn.

The main character, Tony, irritated me no end for his weakness, that was a clever thing to do, to make a man question his manhood, while asserting to himself that he would do differently.

The main female character, Susan, is likewise designed to introspectively infuriate the female viewer.

Michael Shannon is fantastic in this, the rest do a good job.

7/10

Edited by ramit
wording

36 minutes ago, ramit said:

Nocturnal Animals

Slow burn.

The main character, Tony, irritated me no end for his weakness, that was a clever thing to do, to make a man question his manhood, while asserting to himself that he would do differently.

The main female character, Susan, is likewise designed to introspectively infuriate the female viewer.

Michael Shannon is fantastic in this, the rest do a good job.

7/10

I really liked it, but my GF absolutely hated it. Not sure why really.