Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

21 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Venom good addition to the Marvel film series with dark undertones. 8.5/10.

Venom 2 Let there be Carnage - A big let down compared to the first. 'Humour' at times from the Venom character at times which did not really work. 5/10.

It's the injection of comedy into all the Marvel stuff that put me right off it. The first Guardians film was fun (and funny) but they clearly then decided that all their films needed to be funny.  I went right off my previously favourite character: Thor when they turned him into wacky wise-cracking Thor.

Long Story Short - rom com with Raeffe Spall as a bloke who keeps waking up one year in the future, watching his life pass past him in a flash. If you like Groundhog Day (they even make more than one reference to it) rom coms as predicatable as a Warne lecture on formation then this is for you. Very Ronseal but if that's what you like.

Charlie Palmer / 10 (maybe not brilliant but you always knew what you were getting)

The Lodge (SKY Movies)

"A soon-to-be stepmom is snowed in with her fiancé's two children at a remote holiday village. Just as relations begin to thaw between the trio, some strange and frightening events take place."

Rubbish. Awful. Boring.

I was actually annoyed at this film last night and at myself for staying til the end (such as it was).

Not scary at all but that's quite minor compared to the fact that it's built on a totally stupid and nonsensical premise, followed by a twist (I do like a twist, normally) that's even more illogical and topped off by a totally unsatisfying ending that it seemed to take for ever to get to.

The worst film I've seen for a long time.

Blimey. Still mad at it. 2/10 at best, for a half decent and effective set up in first few minutes.

Prey - a prequel to the original 'The Predator' and the only subsequent movie in the franchise that is even vaguely comparable. If you're one of those old-timers who struggles with a strong female lead, then avoid as it won't be for you, but I thought this a very decent effort after a string of desperate disappointments.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11866324/

51 minutes ago, TimRam said:

I am Legend on netflix. I'd not seen this for a while and it's new to flix so decided to rewatch. Great stuff. 8.5/10. The alternate ending is better than the original though.

I was just going to review this - same here. Not watched it for ten years or so.

Gripping at times, pretty silly at other times.

6.5 for me.

Glass Onion (Netflix)

I love Knives Out (one of may favourite whodunnits), so I was a bit disappointed the first time I watched Glass Onion. Gave it a second viewing last night and enjoyed it more.

The cast isn't as good as the first film; script not as witty & it's more frantic and less intricate but it definitely improved second time around.

Also, I've never found Edward Norton to be a great leading actor, but that might just be me.

Anyway...

First viewing: 5.5/10

Second veiwing: 7/10

Knives Out (for reference): 9/10

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was just going to review this - same here. Not watched it for ten years or so.

Gripping at times, pretty silly at other times.

6.5 for me.

I think the alternate ending would have actually made the film better and more complete (unexpected).

Flowers of the Killer Moon - a film with an interval it is that long (3hr26m). Great performances fantastic cinematography and another Scorsese masterpiece with a cameo at the end from the man himself. Great film despite the long runtime - recommended 

9 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Glass Onion (Netflix)

I love Knives Out (one of may favourite whodunnits), so I was a bit disappointed the first time I watched Glass Onion. Gave it a second viewing last night and enjoyed it more.

The cast isn't as good as the first film; script not as witty & it's more frantic and less intricate but it definitely improved second time around.

Also, I've never found Edward Norton to be a great leading actor, but that might just be me.

Anyway...

First viewing: 5.5/10

Second veiwing: 7/10

Knives Out (for reference): 9/10

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

thought he was awesome in American History X and even Fight Club, however the less said about his Hulk, the better.

I find his face smug and annoying and I can't look past it.

I saw The Old Oak them The Great Escapee in a double bill.

The Old Oak is a great Ken Loach film, looking at poverty and immigration. Attritional and powerful. Eustace out of 10.

The Great Escapee is poignant, classy and seeing the last embers of Caine and Jackson. Gemmill (second spell) out of 10. 

Reptile on Netflix with Benicio Del Toro, Alicia Silverstone and Justin Timberlake.

Only gets 6.8 on IMDB and that would normally mean I'd not bother, but the reviews/criticism were for things that don't another me, like 'slow burn' and 'not enough action'

I really enjoyed it and Benicio Del Toro was outstanding, easily the best thing I've seen him in.

I have NFC where the title came from as there was a distinct lack of reptiles other than what looked like a random shedded snakeskin near the beginning.

Good acting with one really laugh out loud unexpected moment and a well-paced script made it worthwhile.

A solid Martin Kuhl on one of his better days. 7/10, nudging 7.5

Talk to me (Netflix)

Horror about a group of teens who talk to spirits via a mummified hand which they hold and say “talk to me”. Bad things then happen. 

Much better than it sounds. Largely because it has deeper themes about fitting in as youngsters, peer pressure and drugs, which elevated it above a lot of “stupid people do stupid things for no reason” type horror films. 

Disturbing, chilling and a good Halloween watch. 

7/10

On 24/10/2023 at 11:46, Wolfie said:

It's the injection of comedy into all the Marvel stuff that put me right off it. The first Guardians film was fun (and funny) but they clearly then decided that all their films needed to be funny.  I went right off my previously favourite character: Thor when they turned him into wacky wise-cracking Thor.

Marvel films always had an element of light-hearted humour, right from Iron Man. Thor: Ragnarok bought an over-the-top, silliness that worked for that film. It mixed so well with the darker elements of the movie. The problem is that they then took the character completely into the incompetent man-child, and away from the god/leader that he is.

Marvel films need an element of humour to keep them balanced, as they are ultimately aimed at the whole family. It can be jarring when shoved down your throat though, I agree 

Miss Congeniality

I cannot believe that I sat through the whole thing.

OK, on reflection I didn't - I spent some time mixing and steaming the Christmas pudding, made a nice potato salad and drank a couple of beers.

I did chuckle a couple of times.

4/10.

Edited by Eddie

The Creator written and directed by Gareth Edwards (who rose rapidly to fame from Monsters to Godzilla to Rogue One). As you might expect from those movies, this is visually sumptuous, probably the best-looking film released this year. 

The more I think about the story, the worse it becomes. I've not read any reviews, but if I were pitching this to a studio it would be Blade Runner 2049 meets The Golden Child, with a bit of District 9 sprinkled over it. The basic story is humans vs AI. David Washington kind of reprises his role in TENET while Gemma Chan, once of Humans, gets to co-star.

Tom Ince/10 More style over substance.