Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Been a few years since I saw this, but remember really liking it but felt it lacked a proper ending.

Agreed- didn't want to spoil it by mentioning the ending, but it was pretty open, though I suspect that was just trying to get away from the typical Hollywood happy ending - basically the write saying that things don 't always get resolved.....

Not "last film you saw" but one I am incredibly excited for:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.

Early reviews saying it's better than the first, which is a hard feat at the first is such a brilliant film. Looking forward to watching it in the cinema.

"The Lady In The Van"

Written by Alan Bennett, starring Maggie Smith (as Miss Mary Shepherd, the eponymous lady in the eponymous van) and Alex Jennings (as Alan Bennett).

Utterly wonderful hour and a half watch

Gerry Daly / 10

For beer fans, Trappistes Rochefort 8 / 10.

Edited by Eddie

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Core

Basically, the Earth's core has stopped rotating, and the film is about re-starting it.

I usually like 'bad science' films, but this one sucked.

Derek Hales / 10.

For beer fans, Bud Lite.

I've got Derek Hales on the phone demanding why he's been ranked at the same level as Bud Lite

Simulant - a poor imitation of Blade Runner combined with the TV series Humans.

It has a few interesting ideas (such as transferring a human's consciousness to a standby simulant clone in case of an accident) but the pacing is all over the place making it an unsatisfying watch - without any spoilers, it starts off very slowly, suddenly decides we need some action, and then gets to a section that could have been the end of the film - only they obcviously had a bit of budget left so they then tried to tie up all of the loose threads in the last 15 minutes - and didn't do any of them well.....

4/10  - Francois Grenet

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Francois Grenet, the best left back in France after Lilian Thuram (only he wasn't) is a 4? Very generous given my memories of him but each to his own I guess.

More an evaluation of both him and the film - so much proimise, but ultimately so much disappointment....

Brat (brother) and Brat 2.  Really enjoyed these two Russian films, especially the second one.  From a Hollywood perspective the films are very low budget, no special effects or big booms, but unlike so many Hollywood productions, the story is interesting, the characters colorful and the humour wicked.  No messing about, this is all business.

Brat 8 - Brat 2 8.5

2 hours ago, ramit said:

Brat (brother) and Brat 2.  Really enjoyed these two Russian films, especially the second one.  From a Hollywood perspective the films are very low budget, no special effects or big booms, but unlike so many Hollywood productions, the story is interesting, the characters colorful and the humour wicked.  No messing about, this is all business.

Brat 8 - Brat 2 8.5

These look good. Will give them a whirl. 

"Living" starring Bill Nighy.

One of those 'inspired by abc which was itself inspired by xyz" films. It almost has an air of Ealing Cinema about it, yet it was only released last year.

A bureaucrat learns that he is suffering from a terminal illness, and basically... well, no spoilers from me other than to say that I feel that the film has had quite an effect on me emotionally - or there's quite a bit of dust in here.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

One of those 'inspired by abc which was itself inspired by xyz" films. It almost has an air of Ealing Cinema about it, yet it was only released last year.

A bureaucrat learns that he is suffering from a terminal illness, and basically... well, no spoilers from me other than to say that I feel that the film has had quite an effect on me emotionally - or there's quite a bit of dust in here.

I thought it was good but ran out of steam a bit. But you’re right, it’s a film that sets you thinking.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Put this up a month or two back. I really liked it. Very poignant and Nighy excellent as always in the lead role.