Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Villain a British London gangster film from 1971 with Richard Burton in the lead role. Brutal in parts with some good acting. Should have been longer but great all the same. A very different sort of role for Burton who plays it well. 8/10.

Edited by TimRam

Taking of Pelham 123. Original version... New York in all its 1970s glory. 

Grime, the subway, suitcases of money, 30ft long cars and thick "New Yoik" accents. 8/10.

That and The Seven-Ups purely for the '70s car chases. 7/10.

I am going through a 1970s car/crime/New York phase at the moment. 

Edited by sawley_ram

On 02/02/2019 at 14:26, AmericanRam said:

Hereditary.

Overrated piece of crap,would get more thrills watching paint dry.

0/10

Seriously? Ridiculous review IMHO.

Thought it started excellently. I defy anyone to say the first act wasn't genuinely shocking/surprising.

First half promised so much, then tailed off and became generic and slightly disappointing....

7.5/10

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Bohemian Rhapsody 

5/10

This is meant to be Freddy Mercury we're talking about. Way too anodyne for me. You can see why Sacha Baron-Cohen didn't work out in such a sanitized version of the story. Astonished his replacement Rami Malek is up for an Oscar. 

Malek definitely a strange call to play such a vibrant and larger than life character. Was OK in Mr Robot and would think that's more his thing really. Didn't know Ali G was in the running! Would have been fascinating to see how that worked out - have a hunch Baron-Cohen would have been excellent. Also a dead-ringer for Freddie. WIll give it a swerve I reckon, in any case. Thanks for write up ?

23 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Thought it started excellently. I defy anyone to say the first act wasn't genuinely shocking/surprising.

First half promised so much, then tailed off and became generic and slightly disappointing....

7.5/10

Was actually going to watch this but have no idea whether I should or not now. Stringer reckons it's hilarious but not sure how to take that observation tbh ?‍♀️

37 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

7.5/10

Each to their own pal, just not my cup of tea I suppose?

44 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Was actually going to watch this but have no idea whether I should or not now. Stringer reckons it's hilarious but not sure how to take that observation tbh ?‍♀️

On 30/10/2018 at 15:34, Wolfie said:

Hereditary

Wanted to watch this at the cinema but missed it. Finally got the Mrs to watch it the other night (she doesn’t like scary films). Wished I hadn’t bothered.

Why people are claiming this is the best horror of the year is anyone’s guess. Started off weird and quite atmospheric, then descended into stupidity and a truly awful ending. At no point was it even scary. The fact I’m a Toni Collette fan just made it worse.

Big disappointment

4/10

On 09/11/2018 at 08:46, Wolfie said:

It maybe didn't help that I knew about the most shocking scene before hand - having failed to avoid a spoiler, but that was in the good half of the film. After that it somehow changed direction and ended up like an old 80's B-Movie horror film.

Anthropoid

WW2 story of the assassination of SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler. in 1943 he was sent to stamp Nazi authority on the people of Czechoslovakia.

The films really draws you in and makes you think about what people in Nazi occupied countries had to endure, flag waving Brexiteers who think we stood alone and Europe owes us etc. should watch!

I have never really understood why they did this considering the repercussions, but I guess there is always a bigger picture involved in these things.

Bit of trivia, 'Anthropoid' means resembling a human being - fitting as the film stars Cillian 'cold as ice' Murphy.

21 hours ago, 86 points said:

Its genuinely creepy but sometimes I just find myself unexpectedly laughing out loud. A few people found that apparently as there's loads of instances on reddit etc of people who saw it at the pictures whining that those who sat next to them ruined the tension as they were laughing so much.

3 hours ago, RebelScum said:

The films really draws you in and makes you think about what people in Nazi occupied countries had to endure, flag waving Brexiteers who think we stood alone and Europe owes us etc. should watch!

Without trying to get back into this argument on here which is taboo- but I haven't brought it up.   If someone votes to leave it doesn't mean they have no social awareness,  believe we stood alone or Europe owes us.  Neither are they spuriously brain dead with no viewpoint worth consideration.  In the words of Bill Hicks ' No one dies for a flag -they die to give you the right to burn flags if you choose'. We live in a democracy - someone can have a differing view without being constantly harangued for it.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Without trying to get back into this argument on here which is taboo- but I haven't brought it up.   If someone votes to leave it doesn't mean they have no social awareness,  believe we stood alone or Europe owes us.  Neither are they spuriously brain dead with no viewpoint worth consideration.  In the words of Bill Hicks ' No one dies for a flag -they die to give you the right to burn flags if you choose'. We live in a democracy - someone can have a differing view without being constantly harangued for it.

You're right, even if you're wrong ?

6 hours ago, RebelScum said:

Anthropoid

WW2 story of the assassination of SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler. in 1943 he was sent to stamp Nazi authority on the people of Czechoslovakia.

I have never really understood why they did this considering the repercussions, but I guess there is always a bigger picture involved in these things.

Bit of trivia, 'Anthropoid' means resembling a human being - fitting as the film stars Cillian 'cold as ice' Murphy.

Barry Stanton is spinning in his grave.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Intelligent and reasoned people believe leaving Europe will be a good thing which I accept. I was only referring to the masses, who leading up to the referendum and in the years following were very vocal in the press on the radio and especially on social media about 'The Empire' and 'we stood alone!' etc. as if this had any meaning or even relevance.

Didn't want to start a political debate  - I just took the opportunity to get a cheap shot in!