Worst signing ever

Seaside Ram

I know its an obvious one but how will anyone beat the current Scottish hide n seek champion Ikechi Anya ?

if the rumoured stats are correct , for a £4m fee , £30k a week or £1.5m a year x 4 equalling £6m  totalling approx £10M .

For TEN MILLION QUID  Derby County got 33 league apps at approx £300,000 each and 1 goal at £10m each (obviously?)  PS a bonus point if anyone remembers the goal ! 

I was going to say beat that !!! ?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to look past Nick Blackman. Same kind of money. Fewer appearances, 1 goal. Took us years to shift.

I'm sure if Anya could stay fit he would be some use. He had a decent cross on him and a bit of pace.

Nick Blackman was stealing a living as a footballer. Zero ability on the football pitch. Can't think of a single flash of quality or talent he ever displayed.

Value for money wise Anya has to be very high up on the list, however I don't think he's nearly the worst player. I suppose you have used the word signing and not player so it would be difficult to disagree.

ps Bristol City away. Lob over the keeper to put us 0-1. Think we drew 1-1, or maybe lost 2-1?

My top worst signing:

Robbie Earnshaw. Decided he didn't want to be here at the start and stank the place out whilst putting zero effort. Claude might have been a worse player, but at least he tried.

Basically anyone signed by Paul Jewell in January 08. I'll perhaps exempt Savage, not because he was a good signing, but Nigel Clough got some mileage out of him. The rest (OK mostly loans) were awful beyond words.

Bob Malcolm.

I'll agree Nick Blackman was a terrible signing, but to his credit he kept trying to get loans to play actual football unlike some very well paid players.

11 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Value for money wise Anya has to be very high up on the list, however I don't think he's nearly the worst player. I suppose you have used the word signing and not player so it would be difficult to disagree.

ps Bristol City away. Lob over the keeper to put us 0-1. Think we drew 1-1, or maybe lost 2-1?

Bonus point that man on the goal ! ?

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

My top worst signing:

Robbie Earnshaw. Decided he didn't want to be here at the start and stank the place out whilst putting zero effort. Claude might have been a worse player, but at least he tried.

Basically anyone signed by Paul Jewell in January 08. I'll perhaps exempt Savage, not because he was a good signing, but Nigel Clough got some mileage out of him. The rest (OK mostly loans) were awful beyond words.

Bob Malcolm.

I'll agree Nick Blackman was a terrible signing, but to his credit he kept trying to get loans to play actual football unlike some very well paid players.

Bob Malcolm ! I've got a photo of my lad outside PP with Bob n Dean Leacock (complete with bandana ) . Think they signed in same week but were ineligible that day ??

Sith Happens

I have no issue with Anya. I dont mind him as a player, its clearly the contract side of things that has kept him on the sidelines. I would rather judge a player on him not the idiot who handled his contract.

No issue with Nick Blackman, he was shoehorned into the side in the wrong position, once again not his fault but those doing the signing.

For me just can't look beyond Claude Davis, although in fairness if we said top 10 worst signings i reckon quite a few spots would get taken up by players from that years squad....woeful.

I'm not going to claim that this player was Derby's worst ever signing, but for me at the time was the most disappointing.

A cold night in feb 1997 I dragged my sorry ass down to the Baseball Ground to watch Derbys new star signing (on loan initially I believe) play in the reserves. This guy was being touted as our Henrik Larsson, who was I to doubt, Jim Smith had the golden touch when it came to signings. After watching that match it was clear we had be done! So poor was this player I would go as far to say he was Derbys Ali Dia (remember him). He went on to make one subs appearance for the first team before he was sent packing.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to present to you Marino Rahmberg.

However, Jim Smiths midas touch soon returned...........a few weeks later a certain Paulo Wanchope arrived on trial.

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Esteban Fuertes has got to considered?

How much did he cost?

I think it was £3m-ish.  To be fair, I watched him score on his debut against Everton and he looked like he could've been good, hardly his fault he had a dodgy passport.

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think it was £3m-ish.  To be fair, I watched him score on his debut against Everton and he looked like he could've been good, hardly his fault he had a dodgy passport.

More hardly the club's fault. I would assume that he knew that his passport was a bit dodgy. You do normally have to obtain them by official means.

16 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Am i right in thinking his agent sorted it for him??

Honestly don't know. It all happened not long after I moved over here and internet wasn't a thing then. What bit of news I did get came from my mum or one of the red tops that I would buy very occasionally.

4 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

I know its an obvious one but how will anyone beat the current Scottish hide n seek champion Ikechi Anya ?

if the rumoured stats are correct , for a £4m fee , £30k a week or £1.5m a year x 4 equalling £6m  totalling approx £10M .

For TEN MILLION QUID  Derby County got 33 league apps at approx £300,000 each and 1 goal at £10m each (obviously?)  PS a bonus point if anyone remembers the goal ! 

I was going to say beat that !!! ?

Bristol city away 1-0 up until the last minute I believe as it was our first goal for ages and letting in that last minute goal cost me a lot of money!

Archived