Worst signing ever

Seaside Ram

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the worst signing is the player who was the worst value for money/ the player we got the least out of. In other words, not the worst player necessarily, but the worst piece of recruitment. For me, that is Nick Blackman. Best part of 3m spent for a handful of appearances and the solitary goal. He was a pretty crap player anyway, but more than that, he simply wasn’t what we needed at the time. A complete waste of money, and a terrible piece of recruitment that epitomised what went wrong that season - and the incompetence of Chris Evans as DOF.

In terms of Anya... I think to be deemed worst signing, their time at the club has to have come to an end, in order to give a fair review of the success of their signing. It’s probably harsh to include Anya in this until he leaves in the summer - you never know, he could come back and secure us promotion, however unlikely it is! However obviously if he does leave in the summer as expected, then I think he’ll jump to the top of the list. Even more expensive than Blackman and a similar lack of impact. And at least with Blackman, we got him out on loan a couple of times to cover his wages a bit - we got none of that with Anya.

A lot of fair shouts on here but personally I’d go for Ravenelli or Claude Davis. To be the worst you have to be the worst value for money. We’ve had some truly awful footballers through the doors (I’m looking at you Blessing Kaku and co) but the 2 mentioned are the worst for high cost vs expectation and output. Ravenelli nearly bankrupted us and we had to pay him for an eternity, made worse by his initial good start, but seeing his hunched, ageing frame balloon a sitter to miss the chance to beat lowly Walsall away resonates as the low we hit with him as a spent, expensive force. Davis for me looked the best defender in the league at Preston. Pretty sure he was a rock in the team we couldn’t conquer in the playoffs. But came to us for a fairly lofty fee at the time and suddenly lost the ability to play football. That 50p head filled me with dread anytime the ball was airborne. Shocking.

9 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

A lot of fair shouts on here but personally I’d go for Ravenelli or Claude Davis. To be the worst you have to be the worst value for money. We’ve had some truly awful footballers through the doors (I’m looking at you Blessing Kaku and co) but the 2 mentioned are the worst for high cost vs expectation and output. Ravenelli nearly bankrupted us and we had to pay him for an eternity, made worse by his initial good start, but seeing his hunched, ageing frame balloon a sitter to miss the chance to beat lowly Walsall away resonates as the low we hit with him as a spent, expensive force. Davis for me looked the best defender in the league at Preston. Pretty sure he was a rock in the team we couldn’t conquer in the playoffs. But came to us for a fairly lofty fee at the time and suddenly lost the ability to play football. That 50p head filled me with dread anytime the ball was airborne. Shocking.

I have 2 main memories of Ravanelli at Derby, one being a nice looping goal to give us a one nil win over Cov. The other being istening to the radio and hearing Graham Richards spluttering "how much is he on!" as he fluffed yet another easy chance against a bottom of the second division side.

On 25/03/2020 at 12:08, bimmerman said:

I raise you, Jamie Paterson..... 

I don't agree with that. Personally I thought at the start of the season when he got the chance to play he did well. Technically sound and offers more than FloJo ever has. Paterson contributed to a few goals too. 

Harsh to brand him as bad as some of the previously quoted names. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

I don't agree with that. Personally I thought at the start of the season when he got the chance to play he did well. Technically sound and offers more than FloJo ever has. Paterson contributed to a few goals too. 

Harsh to brand him as bad as some of the previously quoted names. 

Average championship forward on loan fails to make big impression. Does better elsewhere. Not remotely the worst. More useful than Dowell was.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

For me, the worst signing is the player who was the worst value for money/ the player we got the least out of. In other words, not the worst player necessarily, but the worst piece of recruitment. For me, that is Nick Blackman. Best part of 3m spent for a handful of appearances and the solitary goal. He was a pretty crap player anyway, but more than that, he simply wasn’t what we needed at the time. A complete waste of money, and a terrible piece of recruitment that epitomised what went wrong that season - and the incompetence of Chris Evans as DOF.

Was Evans still at the club then? I know Clement had personally requested we sign Blackman. 

I remember watching Nick Pickering play at left back for us, having heard that he'd played for England and won the FA Cup and not being able to see that he was even a footballer. Looked heavy, ungainly, and for some reason I have had an attempted  clearance of his being sliced into the stands seared into my brain ever since. 

so disappointing as a player. 

Sorry if it been mentioned on here but here is my list IMO

Robert Earnshaw

Claude Davis

Stern John 

Danny Graham 

Roy Carroll 

Brad Jones 

Nathan Tyson 

Dean Leacock 

Leon Best 

Gilles Sunu 

Laurent Robert 

Andreas Weimann 

Nick Blackman

Blessing Kaku

Luke Varney

Gjokaj whatever his name is?

Chris Porter this one always injury

Russell Anderson 

Robbie Savage 

30 minutes ago, mr_rams said:

Robert Earnshaw

Claude Davis

Stern John 

Danny Graham 

Roy Carroll 

Brad Jones 

Nathan Tyson 

Dean Leacock 

Leon Best 

Gilles Sunu 

Laurent Robert 

Andreas Weimann 

Nick Blackman

Blessing Kaku

Luke Varney

Russell Anderson 

Robbie Savage 

Dean Leacock is very unfair. He may not have been Premier League standard but he certainly did well in the promotion season. A couple of others I wouldn't put on the list as well, but I suppose they did create plenty of derision with some.

39 minutes ago, mr_rams said:

Robert Earnshaw

Claude Davis

Stern John 

Danny Graham 

Roy Carroll 

Brad Jones 

Nathan Tyson 

Dean Leacock 

Leon Best 

Gilles Sunu 

Laurent Robert 

Andreas Weimann 

Nick Blackman

Blessing Kaku

Luke Varney

Russell Anderson 

Robbie Savage 

Some of those are very unfair 

Slight tangent, but Lee Morris springs to mind - cracking player but purely because of the absolute heartbreak I felt every time he limped off.

Fantastic potential and for me (as a 10 year old kid) an ‘Oh what could have been’ signing. Did we ever get more than 3 back to back games out of him???

4 hours ago, mr_rams said:

Robert Earnshaw

Claude Davis

Stern John 

Danny Graham 

Roy Carroll 

Brad Jones 

Nathan Tyson 

Dean Leacock 

Leon Best 

Gilles Sunu 

Laurent Robert 

Andreas Weimann 

Nick Blackman

Blessing Kaku

Luke Varney

Russell Anderson 

Robbie Savage 

Dean Leacock?? Someone wasn't following us when we got promoted. He was absolutely immense!

Archived