Worst signing ever

Seaside Ram

12 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

This one? Our defending from corners looks somehow familiar..

If you watch those highlights and leave it running you get orient v Derby in the 74-75 season fa cup.

2-0 down after 16 mins. Boulton not catching anything..trying to punch all high balls and missing. Playing more or less all our stars.

It's like kell Roos has been told to learn keeping by watching videos of our last championship winning season.....?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If you watch those highlights and leave it running you get orient v Derby in the 74-75 season fa cup.

2-0 down after 16 mins. Boulton not catching anything..trying to punch all high balls and missing. Playing more or less all our stars.

It's like kell Roos has been told to learn keeping by watching videos of our last championship winning season.....?

Exactly.  Two factors at play here - rose-tinted memories of long ago rendering previous heroes as infallible; over-analysis of every little mistake of current players by various media with access to multiple angled instant replays.

If no goal keeper ever made a mistake and no forward ever made a mistake and no midfielder ever made a mistake we'd have nothing to talk about.

Or maybe we'd talk more about that brilliant save by the goalkeeper, that fantastic pass from the midfielder,  that stunning finish from the forward instead.

Plenty of shockers & interestingly, most have been our largest spends either overall or at the time. Anyone would think there's a lesson to be learnt..

Blackman was very poor but you could tell his confidence was absolutely shot early on, never settled. Claude Davis was also poor but again, tried hard & in fairness looked a very good defender at Preston & even Sheff Utd.

The worst for me was Robert Earnshaw. Clearly didnt want to be here, then went to the treetards & clearly relished scoring against us. The lad had talent too & I'd initially been very excited when we signed him. 

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Plenty of shockers & interestingly, most have been our largest spends either overall or at the time. Anyone would think there's a lesson to be learnt..

Blackman was very poor but you could tell his confidence was absolutely shot early on, never settled. Claude Davis was also poor but again, tried hard & in fairness looked a very good defender at Preston & even Sheff Utd.

The worst for me was Robert Earnshaw. Clearly didnt want to be here, then went to the treetards & clearly relished scoring against us. The lad had talent too & I'd initially been very excited when we signed him. 

From the BBC sport website:-

Jewell questions Earnshaw effort

Earnshaw has only started three games for the Rams 

Derby County manager Paul Jewell says a lack of effort and not a lack of ability is the reason why Rob Earnshaw has flopped at Pride Park.

Earnshaw was signed by Billy Davies for a record fee of £3.5m in the summer.

But the 26-year-old Welsh international striker has started just three matches - only two in the Premier League.

"Rob has to look at himself and ask why he's not in the team. It's not just me, he wasn't in the team with Billy either," Jewell told BBC Radio Derby.

Robert Earnshaw needs to ask more from himself

Paul Jewell

"Robert Earnshaw has got a lot of ability but I think he needs to look at himself and start putting a bit more of a shift in because he should be knocking on the door to get in the team.

"Robert Earnshaw's played at West Brom, Norwich and Derby so he has all the attributes but I think, and I've said this to him, he needs to ask more from himself."

12 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

From the BBC sport website:-

Jewell questions Earnshaw effort

Earnshaw has only started three games for the Rams 

Derby County manager Paul Jewell says a lack of effort and not a lack of ability is the reason why Rob Earnshaw has flopped at Pride Park.

Earnshaw was signed by Billy Davies for a record fee of £3.5m in the summer.

But the 26-year-old Welsh international striker has started just three matches - only two in the Premier League.

"Rob has to look at himself and ask why he's not in the team. It's not just me, he wasn't in the team with Billy either," Jewell told BBC Radio Derby.

Robert Earnshaw needs to ask more from himself

Paul Jewell

"Robert Earnshaw has got a lot of ability but I think he needs to look at himself and start putting a bit more of a shift in because he should be knocking on the door to get in the team.

"Robert Earnshaw's played at West Brom, Norwich and Derby so he has all the attributes but I think, and I've said this to him, he needs to ask more from himself."

The infuriating thing is he could well have been suited to our plight. We never had the talent that year to outplay teams & generally were on the back foot - perfect riposte to that would have been a counter-attacking style & with Earnshaw's pace and finishing, I'm sure he could have contributed a lot more than he did.

There is saying which goes ' One mans trash is another man;s treasure'

This is never more so than within football. Just because someone didn't hit it off with us does not make them a bad player/person, there maybe an infinite number of different reasons/explanations personal and professional behind why this has happen. Some of these we may think we know,others we guess at and some we may even dream up. 

It may not be the player at 'fault' as situations at all clubs change owners/managers/staff/finances etc. 

We as fan's start questioning, why was that player always great against us/or playing for someone else but 'rubbish' for us ?

In order to achieve success in anything you have to get the 'right' piece in the right holes. This is hardest job in any walk of life. 

Someone once said it takes sound judgement,a little bit of knowledge and loads of luck to succeed in anything.

On 28/03/2020 at 18:28, bimmerman said:

More along the lines of dirty red dog 

Agent Paterson, sent from Bristol to de rail a season ??

I just don't like him, or red dogs, or Bristol City.... Perfect storm

I genuinely think its the most clueless signing of the past 20 years. All of jewells were better... 

Well you're mad.

On 26/03/2020 at 13:41, swanny said:

I remember watching Nick Pickering play at left back for us, having heard that he'd played for England and won the FA Cup and not being able to see that he was even a footballer. Looked heavy, ungainly, and for some reason I have had an attempted  clearance of his being sliced into the stands seared into my brain ever since. 

so disappointing as a player. 

14 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

Why have I not read Nick Pickering yet?!

Pay attention. 

Gary Charles was a disappointment.

Had possibly the best debut I've seen absolutely tearing Sunderland to apart opening day in a 5-0 win.  Got progressively worse during the season finishing with an own goal against Forest .  Can still hear them now Thank you very much for buying Charles, thank you very much , thank you very very, very much. 

I think we have a team...

Poole

Grenet

Albentosa

Davies

Anya

Moreland

Feilhaber

Jozefzoon

Blackman

Dickinson

Camara

Bench, Bragstad, Blastis, Caskey, Beck, Earnshaw

They might give some pub sides a run for their money at their peak ....

Archived