Worst signing ever

Seaside Ram

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about this one and although it may be unpopular I think it's true. 

Tom Huddlestone £2m and probably one of the highest earners has been a terrible 'signing' 

What has he actually given in return for massive money ? Very , very little imo. 

20 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

I've been thinking about this one and although it may be unpopular I think it's true. 

Tom Huddlestone £2m and probably one of the highest earners has been a terrible 'signing' 

What has he actually given in return for massive money ? Very , very little imo. 

He did a decent video of Mason Bennett tbf. 

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

He did a decent video of Mason Bennett tbf. 

Also one of my gripes. He appeared to get away unscathed despite seemingly being right involved . Playing wise he was over the hill when he joined. When did he last boss a game ??? My Nanna could stand and receive a ball from the left back and turn and give it to the centre half. Get shot of him ASAP !!!

1 minute ago, Seaside Ram said:

Also one of my gripes. He appeared to get away unscathed despite seemingly being right involved . Playing wise he was over the hill when he joined. When did he last boss a game ??? My Nanna could stand and receive a ball from the left back and turn and give it to the centre half. Get shot of him ASAP !!!

Will go down in history as the shortest serving(time wise) Captain of Derby County. 

36 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

He's not even in the discussion for worst signing ever, and rightfully so. I wouldn't call him brilliant, but we've had way, way worse than him, and he hasn't been a terrible signing. £2m isn't a high fee, and the wages point doesn't really work when we don't have the figures. He's been okay.

36 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Disagree. Huddlestone is a joy to watch when on form and fit. When given time he dominates and dictates the play. A lovely player. Had some very good games for Rowett and Lampard in the good spell in Oct and November. Over the hill now and can be sold, but an aesthetically pleasing player when on form! For 2 million, he’s been decent overall. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

I would say if there was a top 100 worst signings he would get nowhere near it 

however if you talked about worst sales yeah he would be up there 

Sith Happens
43 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Will go down in history as the shortest serving(time wise) Captain of Derby County. 

48 seconds ?

41 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He's not even in the discussion for worst signing ever, and rightfully so. I wouldn't call him brilliant, but we've had way, way worse than him, and he hasn't been a terrible signing. £2m isn't a high fee, and the wages point doesn't really work when we don't have the figures. He's been okay.

Well he is right in my discussion ! All you say is we have had worse . And when have we ever had concrete wage figures? I'd happily bet he is in the club's top 3 ' for me he's Just another one with a massive ego bleeding the club dry .... in my opinion ! ?

46 minutes ago, enachops said:

Disagree. Huddlestone is a joy to watch when on form and fit. When given time he dominates and dictates the play. A lovely player. Had some very good games for Rowett and Lampard in the good spell in Oct and November. Over the hill now and can be sold, but an aesthetically pleasing player when on form! For 2 million, he’s been decent overall. 

When given time ? 

13 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Well he is right in my discussion ! All you say is we have had worse . And when have we ever had concrete wage figures? I'd happily bet he is in the club's top 3 ' for me he's Just another one with a massive ego bleeding the club dry .... in my opinion ! ?

But you're just speculating, on wages and on personality. You cannot be serious in considering him one of our worst signings of all time. We paid £6m for Nick Blackman.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

But you're just speculating, on wages and on personality. You cannot be serious in considering him one of our worst signings of all time. We paid £6m for Nick Blackman.

Fair enough , but pound for pound i still maintain TH has been a terrible signing . Cheers COYR 

4 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Very harsh, on a number of accounts.

Firstly, his performances have not been that of a “terrible” signing. He was absolutely outstanding in the Rowett season, and has still had decent spells since as well. Secondly, I would hardly say the two million fee has been shown up to be poor business based on what we’ve got out of him in the three years he’s been here - getting on to 100 appearances, and two playoff campaigns. Maybe you could argue we’d have got better value for money elsewhere - with a younger player with resale value - but there’s been many many many worse deals financially than Huddlestone, here and elsewhere. And that brings me on to my final point - his time here isn’t up yet. It’s unfair to judge a signing until they’ve moved on imo. He’s only 33, there’s every chance he gets one more deal here. And if we get promoted in that time, with Huddlestone playing a bit part role, then he more than justifies his fee, as does everyone else pretty much. All ifs and buts, but only time will tell.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Very harsh, on a number of accounts.

Firstly, his performances have not been that of a “terrible” signing. He was absolutely outstanding in the Rowett season, and has still had decent spells since as well. Secondly, I would hardly say the two million fee has been shown up to be poor business based on what we’ve got out of him in the three years he’s been here - getting on to 100 appearances, and two playoff campaigns. Maybe you could argue we’d have got better value for money elsewhere - with a younger player with resale value - but there’s been many many many worse deals financially than Huddlestone, here and elsewhere. And that brings me on to my final point - his time here isn’t up yet. It’s unfair to judge a signing until they’ve moved on imo. He’s only 33, there’s every chance he gets one more deal here. And if we get promoted in that time, with Huddlestone playing a bit part role, then he more than justifies his fee, as does everyone else pretty much. All ifs and buts, but only time will tell

If we give him another deal it will be ridiculous. He was on the last lap when he signed . You seem to be happy to overlook his massive wages . Are you seriously suggesting we have remotely had value for money from him ?  I'd suggest if he wasn't an ex player you would be more honest, as most were overlooking his involvement at the Joiners . Bet Knight , Sibley and Bird together are on less than half his money .It's these big ego , massive wage players that have been killing us for years. 

16 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

TH been decent for us so far and was on form before got injury this season at Barnsley away

15 hours ago, Andicis said:

You mean we paid under £3m for Nick Blackman? We paid £6m for Butterfield not Blackman

We have had some absolute tosh, but we have managed to turn gold to crap on load of occasions. People have had it in for Butterfield, and he was poor for  the latter part of his time here. However he did what he was good at in the beginning. But the he developed Clementitis. That dullard killed of his ability to come charging through on goal from midfield, turning into the sideways, sideways and backwards merchant he became famous for. But Clement did that with everybody - even George Thorne and Chris Martin. I can remember the match against Manure when we decided to beat them by hiding in our penalty area, until suddenly Thorne and Martin broke free and played one-two's up the length of the pitch and scored - then went back to dull again. It was a metaphoric middle finger to Clement.

Back on topic there are critics of Andreas Weimann, but that played played his heart out for the club. We stuck him on the wing, but he is a number 10 in the type of Kevin Hector. As soon as he signed for Brizzle, who played him where he is good, he started scoring goals. We did it to Georgi Kinkladze who ran matches and destroyed the opposition when ever he played in the middle. So we stuck him wither on the bench, or on the wing, or hoofed the ball over his head. We did it to Will Hughes and to Chris Martin - both being criticised for not playing well, when in reality they were either not played at all or played out of position. Martin is a case in point - we have started playing him where he is at his best, and playing to his strengths, and surprise, surprise we've started scoring goals again.

Having said that we have had some utter dross as well, as abley demonstrated throughout this thread.

Archived